I don't want any trouble, BUT speeduino

RustyGargoyle
contributor
contributor

Re: I don't want any trouble, BUT speeduino

Post by RustyGargoyle »

I hope he didnt join cause he took it as if we were trying to rag on him or his board.

I like it, and to be honest no other ems is as accessible.
I would most likely be running a speeduino before rus just cause its so much easier to get it going. Arduino mega can be had for less than 5 euro.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I also hope I didn't appear to be ragging on his efforts. I think he's doing cool things, and keeping the costs low and development environment simple is a great effort. It makes it much easier for certain people to get involved. Back when I had time which I could sink into projects like this, I had no money. For me 5 euro's ($5usd) for an Arduino mega vs 15 euro's ($15usd) for the discovery board is not a big deal with me. The big difference in cost is the IO board. The big difference in that cost is the amount and type of components used.

Again I think speeduino is cool and doing great things. There are very few people who have made it as far as he's made it and I look forward to seeing what he does in the future.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
noisymime

Post by noisymime »

RustyGargoyle wrote:I hope he didnt join cause he took it as if we were trying to rag on him or his board.
More than happy for it to be ragged on! :lol: There are certain things it does well and certain things it doesn't and I know that as much as anyone. It's not aimed at being all things to all people and I'm the first to admit that many parts of it have been a learning experience for myself along the way.

If you guys are happy to have this thread for discussion on it here, then I'm more than happy to chat about it without another thread :D
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I'm kind of interested in your status. I seem to recall an SMT board is in the works, perhaps already done. Were is it at and what is it's next incremental step?

Also about the VR conditioner, it's good to design assuming your VR signal is going to be around 300V. See notes and spreadsheet found here http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware_Trigger#VR_lower_level_details.2C_formulas.2C_app_notes.2C_etc

If creepage and clearance distances aren't upheld, it could mean high voltage energy dumps to your 5V which would then likely fry other components. I obtained the 300V by using 2 SMT 0805's in series, each with a standoff voltage of 150V. As well I specifically laid out the soldered parts of the pads using IEC 60950 as best I could. I know other boards that place this high voltage very close to the 5V rail, which has a good chance of making your EMS into a brick.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Today I've touched two speeduino units! I don't want any trouble, but owner claims that one was dead on arrival.

(Well, similar has happened to rusEFI at least twice)
Attachments
20201129_143102.jpg
20201129_143102.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 5104 times
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute