An idea for a new feature: ECU stimulator

nighthunter
donator
donator

An idea for a new feature: ECU stimulator

Post by nighthunter »

Hi guys.
My engine is now up and running. I next days i think i shoot an video. But now i cant go test the car (700kgs, RWD and a lot of snow here :-) ). But i have an idea for a cool feature that i think would lot of people use. I have my RUSEFI "pigibacked" on my stock ecu. The ignition, injection and boost cables are only cut. On old ecu hardware is emulated by resistor loads and RUSEFI drives the new ones. But i am a newbie in mapping. So it would be helpfull to hookup STM digital inputs to the old ECU outputs so that a "original ecu" map can be regenerated/teached for rusefi. (Something like teaching the old timings and durations). Its just an idea but think it would be helpfull or?
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: An idea for a new feature

Post by kb1gtt »

I've had a dream of making what I have kind of dubbed the play-recorder. I envision it as a device which allows you to first record the signals that go to your existing ECU. Once recorded you could the play it back to the STM brain board. This would allow you to tune and adjust things until you got your tune to match the known good signals. As well it would allow you to record, then send files off to people who know how to tune, then they could provide you with a configuration that should work. Any how that's been one of my dreams. Has not come to fruition for a couple reasons. One is resources, as we have limited resources and other things are priority. Another is that it seem many people also make very significant changes to the engine, so once they have made the mechanical modes they really don't know what the tune is. So it would have limited use.

Oh another pipe dream of mine. Make an ECU that can control the engine, as well as generate signals to an existing ECU. AKA existing ECU controls transmission, gauges, etc.

I know @russian has connected input signals to both OEM ECU and rusEFI, then moved one cyl to rusEFI control. This allowed him to tune while the OEM was running the engine. Once he got that once cyl tuned, the then connected one cyl at a time until all cy's were running off rusEFI. We have a break out board for that kind of thing found here. http://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=454

Lots of cool ideas, but time and resources are a problem.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: An idea for a new feature: ECU stimulator

Post by AndreyB »

_really_ need good news this week so a new drvie-able rusEfi video would be great!

A lot was actually done for rusEfi ECU stimulator - see http://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=258 - we had digital pots and a little logic-analyzer build into the firmware - but it kind of faded out. One argument is that without knowing the complex models inside these ECUs it would not help much to know the end output without knowing all the intermediate calculations - like for instance speed density, too many variables to extract the precise VE table knowing just the end pulse width.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Re: An idea for a new feature: ECU stimulator

Post by stefanst »

An ECU stimulator is something where all outputs (sensors) are adjusted manually and then the inputs (injectors, valves, ignition) are verified by 'looking'. So essentially you can verify if the ECU reads all the sensors and actuates what it's supposed to.
An emulator electronically mimics the behavior of an engine using algorithms. That can be used for tuning, modelling from raw data etc. I don't think something like this is feasible at this point.