TPS for a carb?? Wha??

From Frankenstein to Proteus and everything in between
sparky

TPS for a carb?? Wha??

Post by sparky »

OK, this is a bit off topic for the board, but I thought I would try and see if you guys have some idea.

A group of us tuners are trying to fix a carb issue with a 2 stroke where we are having a real problem with the off idle-1/8 throttle. So I am going to hook up a data logger with an O2 sensor (made for 2 stroke, so dont worry), tach and TPS. Problem is... they dont make a TPS version of this carb. We want to use a TPS so we accurately know which carb circuits need to be modified. It is important to use this actual carb (the Kehien PWK 28) as any fix we produce needs to be for this particular carb. It is a D slide carb.

So I am thinking: how can I make some kind of TPS for this carb. Unfortunately the whole slide is encased and controlled by a cable, so I cannot seem how I can hook up a linear pot. Perhaps I can drill the top put in a hall effect sensor, and then epocy a rare earth magent to the top of the slide. Some of the guys just use markings on the throttle and a GoPro, but this is far from accurate.

Any other ideas?
Attachments
pwk.jpg
pwk.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: TPS for a carb?? Wha??

Post by kb1gtt »

Could you measure pressure, then use that to determine TPS? I think you don't really care about TPS, you care about pressure.

Perhaps a string POT, or perhaps you could attach a small rod to the plunger and use one of those digital scale things. There was some talk about linear measurement in this forum thread.
https://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1434&start=11
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)