ESP32's are interesting

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

ESP32's are interesting

Post by kb1gtt »

Lots of 32 bit WIFI Bluetooth power for low $. This one includes a camera.

This one is LoRa OLED Blue Display, Bluetooth, WiFi, Module with Antenna
https://www.amazon.com/LORA32-Display-Bluetooth-Development-Antenna/dp/B07C5GV243?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07C5GV243
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
puff
contributor
contributor

Re: ESP32's are interesting

Post by puff »

Bumped into it couple of days ago ;-)
What sort of applications do you envision for them in Rusefi? Besides, I'm curious, if they support any minimal computing on the edge (i.e. movement detection prior to flooding the wifi with video traffic), or a bit more complicated tasks (capturing events with a few seconds of additional footage prior to movement detection is triggered - that would probably require some RAM?)
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I wonder if rusefi data could be overlaid on the camera. That could be easier than post editing. I also wonder if the Lora module could function as telemetry logging. Perhaps we could add facial recognition as a security feature 😁
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

overlaying text on top of the video shouldn't be a problem, at least if done on the PC (even in real time) (ask that guy who drove a rusefi car somewhere across the states for several hours - he had a really nice video on youtube with overlaid telemetry data)

the thing is how do you want to transmit that video. wifi has pretty low range for racing, LORA has limited data throughput.
not sure if LORA would be sufficient for telemetry - from what i've heard, it gives several bytes per second.

you can transmit all this to a laptop inside the car, but in this case I'm not sure if you need wifi, plus it would probably introduce some unwanted delay (i.e. you press the accelerator pedal, and even see the changing TPS ADC on the screen, but the corresponding video footage comes a second later)