Wave strength in racing engines

Tuning, troubleshooting and the nitty gritty of using rusEFI to make your engine run nicely!
Old Grey
contributor
contributor

Wave strength in racing engines

Post by Old Grey »

Multi EMC winner John Kaase show how ludicrously strong the tuning waves are in a racing engine. And you wonder why it's so hard to get stable MAP readings with IR.

One of his EMC tricks.
Old heads have notoriously bad short side radius, ie they are too short for good flow. So he added a 1" block to the head and lowered the piston 1" so he could grind a much better port. The port is practically a downdraught port.
In EMC you get points for making power between 0-6500rpm max, and they typically make 300hp@2500rpm and 700@6500rpm.
ZHoob2004
contributor
contributor

Re: Wave strength in racing engines

Post by ZHoob2004 »

That picture looked familiar and I finally remembered what it is.

The reason behind that setup is because the class rules forbid modifying the combustion chamber, so what he did is fabricate new combustion chambers and then install them as "valve seats". Then there is a 1"+ aluminum "head gasket" that spaces the heads up so the new "valve seat" doesn't take away any stroke from the piston.
Old Grey
contributor
contributor

Re: Wave strength in racing engines

Post by Old Grey »

My memory isn't great after 15 years, and yes now I remember a spacer.

I remember his 1st EMC engine had a piston that stuck out the bore ½" and had a spacer, but the rings were ½" down the piston so he could run it in detonation and it wouldn't break.