Dex-Cool Sludge note

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Dex-Cool Sludge note

Post by kb1gtt »

With GM vehicles that use Dex-Cool for the coolant, there is a sludging problem. I'm facing this on the wife wagon, and wanted to share a note about it. The basic problem is that Dex-Cool will sludge if you allow air in your system, mix with any other antifreeze, or do not replace your 100k mile coolant every 50k miles. Having an older vehicle, I'm likely faced with all three issues, which results in over heating. The problem is how to get the sludge out, which is a troubling problem. I just learned that there is a solution. Well literally, it's a solution you can buy from GM. I have not found any flusing system that works to clear Dex-Cool, however this stuff from GM will apparently clean it. See graphic below for the new and the old GM part numbers. The new number is 88861344 and it seem to cost less than $4. I understand it's part of Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) 12346500

More info posted here http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/dex-cool-sludge-rip-radiator-green-vs-orange-413018/

Any how, it's an FYI for GM's with Dex-Cool sludge issues. I hope to do this flush in the next day or two.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)