Forum organization

stefanst
contributor
contributor

Forum organization

Post by stefanst »

Since I started with rusefi last week, I constantly ask myself which part of the forum would be the right one to use for posting a question. And I realized that this is so far very much a developer's forum. My intention, in line with my abilities, is to be more of a user/tuner/implementer. And there are no sections for me!

I'd like to suggest to separate the software section into "Firmware" and "PC software"
I would also suggest starting a new subforum "Tuning".
Maybe one "Tunerstudio"

Also hardware could be broken up into "HW development" and "Connecting your car and periphery"

There is certainly a lot of overlap- for example the alternator discussion is clearly doing software development, going hand-in-hand with tuning.

For those of us who are easily confused, more structure helps a little bit.....
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Forum organization

Post by AndreyB »

I somewhat agree with all of your points, I just do not know how exactly to make it better!

I totally agree that currently the forum is totally focusing on development, not targeted at the users. Two points here - pretty much every installation still requires some development (maybe it's getting less so, but still the case often), and to some extent in my dreams wiki pages would be the primary source of info for users - that's if we have users and content on the wiki. Huge TODO: improving the wiki.

Open question if the hard split between "software development" and "hardware development" is justified or not. I guess what I can totally sign on would be renaming current "software" to "software DEVELOPMENT" and "hardware" to "hardware development"

To some extent "Your vehicle" is the sub-forum for users, but it totally does not cover "tuning best practices". With a little bit of hesitance I can add one additional sub-forum if you have a good name for that additional sub-forum? The source of my hesitation is the fact that I am not sure if we are there yet - it is still pretty tough being rusEfi user, as in "pure user".
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Re: Forum organization

Post by stefanst »

Some of us 'users' are tough guys :-)
Just coming from my personal standpoint: I will never be able to actually help writing your FW. I may be able to critique it though!
But when I'm looking for a simple answer on what something means, I always end up reading about some development wizardry that's waaaay over my head and give up.

In order to attract more 'normal' users we need to give them some guidance. Yes, of course a manual is needed and if you take a look at the "Megamanual" it deserves its' name for many reasons. So the manual is a HUUUUUGE undertaking. But users like me are comfortable searching through forums in order to find answers. All the manual really needs is basic explanations. The more detailed, case-focused stuff can be in the forums- see my last thread in "Software" about Tunerstudio. That's for users, not developers. The developers just answer the users' questions. The developers then meet in a dark and quiet corner of the internet to do their thing....