Trigger problem with 60/2 and Bosch Quick Start

Tuning, troubleshooting and the nitty gritty of using rusEFI to make your engine run nicely!
rubwen

Trigger problem with 60/2 and Bosch Quick Start

Post by rubwen »

Recently, we attached the microRusEFI to our Z10XEP-engine (GM/Opel, 3-cylinder, 1,0l, port injection) and tried to make it run very carefully. We deactivated the fuel injection for all three cylinders and activated ignition only on cylinder 1 to check if we defined the trigger wheels correctly. The engine has 60/2-trigger on the crankshaft and the Bosch Quick Start on the intake-camshaft. While cranking the engine, we could see that the trigger type was not detected correctly. In the attached pictures 1 and 2 you can see the pressure curve of cylinder one (yellow) and the ignition voltage (green). At this point we hadn’t defined the 40° offset yet, that’s why the ignition happens too late (picture 1). Problem is that the trigger is determined again between the cycles, so sometimes it “jumps” exactly 360 degrees off its position (picture 2) and we don’t know why. The pictures 3 and 4 show our camshaft trigger, the Bosch Quick Start. As you can see in picture 3, the signal is very noisy, so we tried to dampen it with a small capacitor (picture 4), but we still have the same problem. Do you have a clue what’s wrong with our configuration? Or can we provide more information about this? Thank you for your help!
Attachments
Ignition with correct trigger signal
Ignition with correct trigger signal
pic1.jpg (197.82 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Ignition with wrong trigger signal
Ignition with wrong trigger signal
pic2.jpg (229.68 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Bosch Quick Start
Bosch Quick Start
pic3.jpg (330.12 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Bosch Quick Start dampened
Bosch Quick Start dampened
pic4.jpg (223.23 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Trigger problem with 60/2 and Bosch Quick Start

Post by AndreyB »

I declare this the voodoo of electricity and hide under the desk sorry :)

We've recently added a setting to only sync cam until certain RPM like only until 4000RPM but that's totally not your case, you seem to have EE drama at low RPM right?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

That noise won't necessarily cause a problem for rusEFI. There is hardware on the board to help filter out spikes like those. Can you give a log from rusEFI of what you see spinning the engine? Just a normal TunerStudio log with the data rate set to maximum is very useful. Also, a screenshot of the engine sniffer in the rusEFI console would help us see what the ECU is seeing to diagnose what's up with sync.
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor
Github Username: Orchardperformance
Slack: Orchardperformance

Post by Simon@FutureProof »

Do I detect someone with an AVL indicom?

The jumping 360 out is a result of the ECU only syncing the crank, with RE in crank only mode then the ECU will guess one of the 360 rotations to be the start of the cycle.
For batch and wasted spark this is ok but 3 cylinder your going to want that cam sync working.

For what it is worth your jumping 360 degrees out is exactly what I saw when I was doing the same test with an indiset and a proteus to test out our knock sensors. At the time I was only set to crank trigger. (60/2 and quick start cam).

Take a log in tuner studio and post up your tune/trigger settings, I think this may just be a settings error.
Now keeping MRE in stock in the UK - https://www.FutureProofPerformance.com
rubwen

Post by rubwen »

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Simon, you were right, this was a settings error, inverting the cam input solved this problem. And you were also right with detecting an AVL indicom :-)

After solving that, our engine was running fine at low RPM and we started optimizing the VE table, since we’re using the alpha-N fuel strategy. While doing that, we encountered the next problem: When going over 2800 RPM, TunerStudio starts detecting trigger errors. Additionally, over 3000 RPM one of the cylinders is misfiring. I have attached the TunerStudio logs for the three different states (no error below 2800 RPM, errors at 2900 RPM, errors and misfiring at 3100 RPM), the .fig files contain our cam and crank signals. Thank you for your help!
Attachments
trigger_error.zip
3 megalog files and 3 matlab figures
(4.09 MiB) Downloaded 99 times