CBR600RR Engine

Tuning, troubleshooting and the nitty gritty of using rusEFI to make your engine run nicely!
sargantana

Re: CBR600RR Engine

Post by sargantana »

>How are you checking ignition timing?
I have a timing light. I connect it to the battery and the inductive clamp to the pos terminal of the cyc1 coil. Then I remove the timing cover and aim the timing light at it. Then I try cranking, after a short time, I suppos when sync occured, the timing light flashes and I see the TI:FF mark on the crankwheel. I put the Ignition in fixed timing mode and adjust the angle for Fixed Timing(deg) until I get the other mark lined up with the engine body - this coincides with the TI:FF mark aligned with the indent on 2 o`clock. Am I doing this right?

>What are you using for an ignition module?
They are dumb coils (2 Connectors) and I dont have an Ignition module per se, I run powerfets to trigger the COPs with the rusEFI. I checked with the bench testing if i get sparks, and it works. So I suppose this is fine.

>I see you mentioned running 5ms of dwell
Yes, the preset was 6ms. Should I reduce this to 3ms? I cant really find any reliable data on this for our DENSO 19700 COPs.
mtmotorsport

Post by mtmotorsport »

The actual FET you use for ignition coil control is very important. It needs to have a very high avalanche voltage (350v+), very fast turn off time at moderate current (5-10amps), and very low RDSon.

You need to trigger the inductive timing light from the secondary side of the ignition coil, not the primary. To do that you have to remove the coil from the head and make up a short spark plug wire.

Check the coil resistance specs, even 3ms is too much dwell. The denso pencil COPs are less than 2ms to keep them from shorting out. You will find when you measure their resistance it is very low, and the inductance is also pretty low. They do not deliver high ignition energy, but they can run for long periods of time at very high rpm without overheating.
Matt
MT Motorsport / EcotecMiata
mtmotorsport

Post by mtmotorsport »

There should be no more than 2 engine revolutions of delay before you get a spark. If it is longer than this you still have some crank trigger problem.
Matt
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

mtmotorsport wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:58 pm
The actual FET you use for ignition coil control is very important. It needs to have a very high avalanche voltage (350v+), very fast turn off time at moderate current (5-10amps), and very low RDSon.
you don't want a FET at all, you want an IGBT designed for ignition coil applications
mtmotorsport

Post by mtmotorsport »

mck1117 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:02 pm
mtmotorsport wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:58 pm
you don't want a FET at all, you want an IGBT designed for ignition coil applications
Yes, exactly. I've had no issues with the EcoSPARK line of IGBTs
Matt
sargantana

Post by sargantana »

Okay, I will check and try this first thing in the morning! Unfortunately the shop is closed right now and I cant access it before 8am (GMT+2).
Thanks for the input!
I use some AOD4184A Mosfets.
https://aosmd.com/res/data_sheets/AOD4184A.pdf
Tho from what I read now this probably wasn't the best choice.... my bad.
So I guess i will try to organize an IGBT module for the coils... What a throwback... Cant get this in time I fear tho unfortunately.
sargantana

Post by sargantana »

So I read the datasheet for the mentioned EcoSPARK IGBT, the FGD3245G2-F085C.
When I compare the elec. parameters of the ECOSpark to the AOD4184A tho; the switching time of the mosfet is way less than the IGBT. The EcoSpark has 0.9 to 5.4 us delay/rise for turn on and off, while the mosfets are in the realm of 6-30 ns which is about 30-1000 times faster...
As I get sparks with them while bench testing and the times seem to check out, what is the problem with using them? What am I missing here?
mtmotorsport

Post by mtmotorsport »

Vds is only 40v. While that may spark in open air on a test bench, it will not fire reliably at all under pressure in the cylinder.
Matt
sargantana

Post by sargantana »

Hey,

thanks for the input. I seem to be just stupid. I sourced some IGBTs now with 600V VBces.
https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/fgh40n60sfdtu-f085-d.pdf
I hope this does the trick. I cant get ecospark ones with the clamps in time and will try with these now. On Tuesday I should have the clamped ones. I will keep you posted how long it takes until the magic smoke comes out :)

Thanks a lot for the input again, I appreciate it really a lot!!