Device not recognised by usb

From Frankenstein to Proteus and everything in between
Jtfairclough
Slack: James fairclough

Device not recognised by usb

Post by Jtfairclough »

Hi all,

Documenting my experience so far after receiving some help and making progress.

(excuse the amateur wiring - never done this before)

I bought my microrusefi from a friend on the mercedes forum and believe the board was built by Simon after sharing some pictures. I wired the ecu pigtail up to the engine loom almost completely before trying to power it on at all. (Car is 190e mercedes and engine is m111.982 from a 2001 CLK

When I thought the circuits were there or there abouts I tried to power the unit up to see where I’d gotten to. Was powered up with a relay from switched 12v on the 190’s fuse box to pin 1 and ecu earthed to chassis. Seemed to power up ok, had lights on the board.

I wired the 2 data cables from a usb>usb wire onto the ecu pigtail but no sign of detection on my MacBook at all (via adapter into usb-c)
usbwired.jpg
usbwired.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 13102 times
Tried an older windows 7 machine and also no sign of detection.

I then tried a microusb > usb in the windows 7 machine plugged directly onto the board and noticed an unrecognised device (code 43) on the laptop. Was able to determine the appropriate driver seemed to be stm virtual com port
devicenotrecognised.jpeg
devicenotrecognised.jpeg (99.62 KiB) Viewed 13102 times
missingdriver.jpeg
missingdriver.jpeg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 13102 times
Assuming that was the pc lacking the appropriate driver I manually installed an ST microelectronics driver and re attempted connection. Still unrecognised device

I shared some pictures and was advised to refresh firmware using the latest MRE bundle and I downloaded/updated relevant drivers at this stage too. Note at this point the board whilst powered by the 12v and connected directly via microusb was showing a solid red fatal light on the board. MRE was started with prog button held.
devicerecogniseddfu.jpeg
devicerecogniseddfu.jpeg (131.04 KiB) Viewed 13102 times
While connected to the pc, removed from the car, there was no fatal light only a warn light which is assumed to be because it was powered only by 5v over usb.

After a power cycle the MRE was recognised by the windows 7 machine when plugged in via microusb - no obvious issues.
devicemanagercom8.jpeg
devicemanagercom8.jpeg (113.48 KiB) Viewed 13102 times
After being reconnected to the vehicle and reattempting connection with the wired usb the red fatal light reappeared
fatallight.jpeg
fatallight.jpeg (128 KiB) Viewed 13102 times
pending connecting it to tunerstudio (will update as soon as thats done too) in its current state

Thanks for the help so far!
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor
Github Username: Orchardperformance
Slack: Orchardperformance

Re: Device not recognised by usb

Post by Simon@FutureProof »

OK, first immediate issue is that the wire in plug USB will not work unless you follow the wiring notes in this video:

That should not affect your direct to board USBmini connection though.

So....
Installing the drivers on win 7 is a good idea as I don't think win 7 will auto recognise an STM32 correctly.

As I noted on slack your green USB light should only be on when the microUSB is plugged in, the fact that it is on when you have the 12v powered is odd, suggests the USB is getting power when there is nothing connected to it?

Being recognised when plugged in via just the USB and no 12v is a good sign as it means it is likely some kind of wiring issue and not a hardware issue.

Can you try connecting with just the miniUSB and checking it connects to tuner studio?
Can you try connecting only the 12v and no other wires to see if the miniUSB still works?
Now keeping MRE in stock in the UK - https://www.FutureProofPerformance.com
MHTSOS
Github Username: MHTSOSVOODOO
Slack: Dimitri C

Post by MHTSOS »

For the green LED powering on with no USB cable it could be a short on diode D17. I can see no other path for 5V to end up on Vbus rail.

Στάλθηκε από το VOG-L29 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor

It's possible but I would think unlikely, I hook them up to 12v and connect to TS to set the self stim before scoping the ignition outputs of the TLE.
That means at some point it was able to handle 12v and USB connection.

With that said, that is number 18 and I just sent out 24 so it has been out in the wild for a while...
Worst case scenario, send it back my way, I can always test it and replace/rework bits if it needs it.
Jtfairclough
Slack: James fairclough

Post by Jtfairclough »

Hey Simon,

So we’re looking good now on all fronts when the ecu is outside of the car.

Connected to tuner studio, can detect the device by virtual com etc.

Ini file got me in to the settings.

Must be a wiring issue.. when I have the device plugged into the cars 12v and connect via the board it will still only be detected as an unrecognised usb so back to checking over my wiring (which Occam’s razor - most likely where I’ve introduced an issue)
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor

First thing I would try is to just connect the 2x 12v and the 2x GND pins to the car. See if it still connects like that.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Picture shows crimped data lines on the outside USB wires but where does USB GND of that cable go?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor

Right now nowhere but that will not knock out the on board USB mini.
I can say that with confidence as the fine wire on my test loom has broken so the connector USB is currently not connected to earth but it all still works fine when powered up via 12v.
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor

I believe this has now been resolved?
@Jtfairclough are you now working?