Soldering skill: yes
Coding skill?: yes

Hello Off Road World!

Post by defender15 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi all!

Project is:
buggyPhoto.jpg
buggyPhoto.jpg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Built from scratch by my friend in his garage...
This is a Mercedes OM613 engine, which is a straight-six, common rail, solenoid injector diesel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes- ... 613_engine

It is currently running of the original ECU (Bosch EDC15) with a few nasty tricks (Arduino based) to avoid panic from not having the other usually fitted units (like ABS, stability control, auto-gearbox...). This is a temporary fix to get it going and enable testing of the remaining parts, but we have been looking to move to a more tunable system that is open enough so we can, worst case, even program any new functionality ourselves!
I don't have any experience with "standalone" systems, and certainly not with petrol which seem to be the main motivation for the Rusefi, but I was really happy to find there is some effort already in developing a diesel system as well!

Constraints are:
- I am currently living in a different country, so no everyday access to the actual engine
- My current "home setting" is not really compatible with having diesel spills or any elaborate test rigs around...
- Time/money as I bet for everyone else in this forum :lol:

Plan is:
- Spend the next few days reading more about Rusefi
- Start experimenting with the stimulator and TunerStudio
- Follow this thread very closely for rail control logic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1393
- Try to find out as much as possible about the injectors as it seems the MC33816 might not be able to generate sufficiently high voltage? - TBC
- See what I can do to contribute to the diesel side of Rusefi!

Is there a thread where the driver for the diesel solenoids is being discussed?
Also, as a first suggestion, would it make sense to have a separate index for diesel on this forum? Just an idea...

Abricos
contributor
contributor

Re: Hello Off Road World!

Post by Abricos » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 am

Welcome to the candy shop ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1393&hilit=Noxz&start=180

russian
Site Admin

Post by russian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 am

Probably too early for diesel section since so little diesel engines running so far :)

Where are you on the globe? How much software development skills do you have?

A lot about common rail is discussed on slack at https://rusefi.slack.com/messages/CFP3QAJCW/ see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1198
https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions
my skype is arro239

mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:25 am

defender15 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 pm
- Try to find out as much as possible about the injectors as it seems the MC33816 might not be able to generate sufficiently high voltage? - TBC
If the injectors are solenoid (not piezo), the mc33816 can probably drive the injectors. Noxz will eventually be testing with modern Denso diesel injectors, and maybe some Bosch GDI injectors. If the injectors are piezo, then the mc33816 isn't the right sort of driver to handle them. Piezo injectors are much higher voltage.

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 am

Welcome along, and good to hear from you. Can you tell us more? What voltage do you expect to need for the injectors?
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)

defender15

Post by defender15 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi again and thanks all for the replies!
Here:
Abricos wrote:Welcome to the candy shop ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1393&hilit=Noxz&start=180
Yes that's the thread I mean to follow. It seems to be the one who's getting injectors clicking sooner! :)
russian wrote:Probably too early for diesel section since so little diesel engines running so far :)

Where are you on the globe? How much software development skills do you have?

A lot about common rail is discussed on slack at https://rusefi.slack.com/messages/CFP3QAJCW/ see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1198
Thanks. I registered to Slack a few days ago, will join the discussions when I actually have something to add!
I am currently in Solihull, UK but the buggy is in a garage back in Portugal... Not sure yet to which extent, but I think we can manage to simulate/prototype/test things from here and when I have confidence on the system I'll buy my plain ticket to go back there fit it and tune it!
I am an ok programmer (definitely not great at it)... Background is Control Systems Engineering, actually my MSc project was done using an STM32F427ZI in a DISC1 dev board (no RTOS though...). My DIY "career" has seen a few Arduino projects and custom boards which I usually simulate using SPICE and design in EAGLE. Code-wise I have been trying to move towards a "model-based" approach: use Matlab to layout the boards' functionality and then generate the code automatically (basically it just means I got even lazier to write code than before xD )
mck1117 wrote:If the injectors are solenoid (not piezo), the mc33816 can probably drive the injectors. Noxz will eventually be testing with modern Denso diesel injectors, and maybe some Bosch GDI injectors. If the injectors are piezo, then the mc33816 isn't the right sort of driver to handle them. Piezo injectors are much higher voltage.
Yes I'm sure they are solenoid. But I seem to remember seeing somewhere that they need pulses up to 100V or something. I think the limit on the mc33816 is around 72V?
Please let me get back with some certain info, I used to have the car manual some time ago when we got the engine, to help with the wiring and stuff but that pc died so I need to get it again... It's a pain to try work with OEM parts! Worst case I can find a nice scope and get my friend probe the injectors and record some data I guess.

So as said, time to get me some real info on the setup since I can't even remember what valves it has to control the rail, etc.
Something I already know is that it has a VGT (turbo) controlled by the ECU using an electro-valve, so I think this might be something new to Rusefi (if not please point me to the discussion!). One of my projects was a VGT controller for my own off-roader (Defender Td5), so I have some experience on this which might be useful!

Again many thanks to all and keep up the nice work, I'll be spying :lol: