2004 GY200 single cylinder

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Rhinoman
contributor
contributor

2004 GY200 single cylinder

Post by Rhinoman »

This thread is to document the conversion of my 2004 GY200 single cylinder trials bike. I ordered a complete EFI conversion kit from Aliexpress which I received today. The kit appears to be of good quality although it s poorly documented.

The ECU is made by FAI and is quite a neat unit. The heatsink on the side is a concern - heat = wasted power.

There is no separate fuel pump with the kit, the 'injector' appears to be a pump that squirts the fuel out through a nozzle that has two small openings plus one larger hole which I assume is a breather. I do wonder how that will compare with the original carb which is a copy of the Keihin unit fitted to the old Honda engines. I tried to measure the resistance but the meter 'pulses' so there must be something more than just a motor in there.

The GY hadn't run for around five years but after cleaning the carb it fired straight up and settled into a nice smooth idle. I have a couple of small jobs to do and then I will put it in for its MOT (inspection) so I can ride it for a while before fitting the EFI kit. I will then log the signals around the system before switching controllers.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: 2004 GY200 single cylinder

Post by kb1gtt »

nice, I've seen that fuel injector noted here before. It's a kind of interesting design, I seem to recall it's a solenoid that pulls back slowly, then puts out large pressure spikes as the spring pushes the plunger back. Keep us posted about it.

Also heat sink can be just to keep it cold, not necessarily because it makes many watts, but because colder is better.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
Rhinoman
contributor
contributor

Post by Rhinoman »

I found some information on the injector here:

http://www.fai.com.cn/English/Technology/2010-04-30/105.html
rus084
contributor
contributor

Post by rus084 »

hi !
i have injector like this and want to convert my 72cc engine from carb to efi
will you change ecu to rusefi ?
Rhinoman
contributor
contributor

Post by Rhinoman »

I intend to try the RusEFI controller. The FAI system seems quite crude, it has no MAP or temperature sensors, only the TPS so there will be quite a lot to experiment with.
rus084
contributor
contributor

Post by rus084 »

seems on first pucture it has 2 temp senors on right-down
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Some links that might be of interest found here http://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=332&start=182 it offers some explanations of the internals of that injector.
Rhinoman
contributor
contributor

Post by Rhinoman »

rus084 wrote:seems on first pucture it has 2 temp senors on right-down
Those are the battery leads, however it does have two temperature sensors - they are bundled up in the harness.
Rhinoman
contributor
contributor

Post by Rhinoman »

I got the GY back up together today and took it for a run around my field, the carb is flooding again so I need to give that another clean and check the integrity of the floats.

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

The float's needle valve can be problematic, a very small amount of debris or a small scratch often can cause a fail. Good to hear it runs, that's a good starting point.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

@Rhinoman Any updated on this effort? I'm curious if the injector worked as expected. I once read an article which claimed these injectors sucked, but did not provide any useful details. I think they claimed it was not accurate in the amount of fuel it delivered because it did not compensate for the variations on in vacuum pressure in the manifold.