[Success Story] 88 Toyota Camry 2.0 (3SFE)

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
theflyingdutchp

Re: 88 Toyota Camry 2.0 (3SFE)

Post by theflyingdutchp »

Still having issues.
Sync is super stable with ignition disabled, but with it enabled I think some noise is getting into the VR circuit. The EWD suggests that the wiring is shielded..

I'm considering installing resistors R111 and R112 - thoughts? @kb1gtt - you seem like the hardware guru?

Logs attached, images below

Ignition Disabled

Ignition Enabled
Attachments
MAIN_rfi_report_2020-02-17_15_22_16_IgnitionOff.csv
(190.25 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
MAIN_rfi_report_2020-02-17_15_14_48_IgnitionOn.csv
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 382 times
88 Camry Alltrac - 3SFE w/ CT26.
Ran ok, but rings are fried, moved on...
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

theflyingdutchp wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:46 am
Still having issues.
Sync is super stable with ignition disabled, but with it enabled I think some noise is getting into the VR circuit.
This is pretty close to what I was fighting with recently - but in my case it's not a true VR. In my case part of the remedy was a jumper cable between cylinder head and battery negative terminal.

When I had vehicles with VR quite often it was helpful to have RB01 0R, i.e. grounding one of the VR wires.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
theflyingdutchp

AndreyB wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:55 am
...In my case part of the remedy was a jumper cable between cylinder head and battery negative terminal.

When I had vehicles with VR quite often it was helpful to have RB01 0R, i.e. grounding one of the VR wires...
I'll see about reducing resistance to ground and try again, thanks for the tip!
theflyingdutchp

Refreshed the grounds on that side of the motor (cleaned contacts and fasteners) and added a new one - fixed the issue for the most part. Still not 100% perfect but way better.

It runs! (Badly :D) It was misfiring like crazy at first, but I was able to get a decent very-low throttle idle after some tweaking. No IAC/ISC control implemented yet which I think is preventing it from idling with no throttle at all.
theflyingdutchp

Well, it drives. I had started on this project to control fuel/timing to support the addition of a turbocharger. Well, I installed the turbo, finished the exhaust fabrication, did a million other little things...

And the turbo needs a rebuild badly. So does the engine (I've known that one for a while). And I'm moving to a place where I won't have space for the car.

So, if anybody wants a Frankenso v0.4 board let me know. It's not in amazing shape (a few blown traces) but it works.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

theflyingdutchp wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:24 pm
Well, it drives.
Any pictures or videos? We need to put you on the list of know rusEfi engines! Even if for just one second :(
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
theflyingdutchp

Not pictured: the James Bond smoke screen I'm laying and the friendly looks from all my neighbors.

Yes that is an intercooler where my hood should be - this has been low buck since day one :D

Should anybody want to convert a 3SFE in the future, some quick notes:
  • * 4T wheel inside the distributor works for crank position
    * Pretty easy to repin the connector at the ECU to move the VR+/- wires to the correct spots
    * You can bend pins on a spare set of connectors to fit into the Frankenso board - I got a complete ECU on ebay for ~$10 and used the case too
    * Frankenso board will fit in the 3SFE ECU case, but only two or three of the fastener holes line up.
    * Automatic throttle body has an actual TPS (not just idle and power contacts). The whole throttle body swaps on but not the TPS or idle air control setup from TB to TB. I used an automatic Rav4 one that I got out of the junkyard.
    * There is a little pipe plug on the firewall side of the intake manifold - good MAP source. Its BSPT but NPT will work with some RTV.
    * Don't forget the fuel pump switch in the stock AFM
Attachments
TestFire.mp4
(7.98 MiB) Downloaded 326 times
TestDrive.mp4
(9 MiB) Downloaded 299 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Can I upload to rusEfi youtube?

theflyingdutchp

AndreyB wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:33 pm
I don't know if it's that interesting, but sure, go for it
theflyingdutchp

AndreyB wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:33 pm
So uhh, I did a thing :D

I want to say thanks again for all the support previously. I could not have done it without you Andrey, or kb1gtt, and probably many other people I'm unfortunately forgetting.

Turns out I had an issue with the PCV which made the oil consumption much worse. I won't say its totally gone, but, well fuck it - I'm in deep enough already.
Runs ok - injectors are bit too big for idle so I can't get a great AFR there.
No knock sensor so I'm a little nervous, but I've got very race gas available so that's not a huge concern (as long as I'm not buying tanks of the stuff :shock: ) For now I've got the boost cut set to 145kPa, which stops the fun around 4500-5000rpm. Generally I try to avoid revving over 5000 as the motor isn't too fresh, but I'll probably move the hard cut up to 5500 or so eventually (and maybe 8psi or so..).

So, now that I'm on to tuning - do we know why the tables in MegaLogViewer don't work?
theflyingdutchp

Got the tables working in MegaLogViewer HD Image

To get it working, add two pages to the .msq.
The advance table and the ignition table should be copied into the first page and renamed "veTable" and "advanceTable".

Copy your RPM and load bins (ignition_ and ve_ . _RpmBins and _LoadBins)into the second page and rename them as follows: frpm_table, fmap_table (for fuel), srpm_table, smap_table (for advance).

Save the tune and open the log in MegaLogViewer HD. Then, open the options menu and set the "default Y-axis field" to "MAP".

@AndreyB - is it possible to rename the tune constants as follows? That would make it work out of the box:
"ignitionTable" -> "advanceTable"
"veRpmBins" -> "frpm_table"
"veLoadBins" -> "fmap_table"
"ignitionRpmBins" -> "srpm_table"
"ignitionLoadBins" -> "smap_table"
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

This is now https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/issues/1719 "Unclear report asking to rename tables"

Please focus on just this issue. Please describe the problem from the beginning. What is this about? What is expected behavior? What is actual behavior? Why do you care?

mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

AndreyB wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:38 am
This is now https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/issues/1719 "Unclear report asking to rename tables"

Please focus on just this issue. Please describe the problem from the beginning. What is this about? What is expected behavior? What is actual behavior? Why do you care?
It's pretty clear what he asked. Megalogviewer will show tables over on the right side if they have particular names.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

not clear to me.

any tables? these specific tables? any logic or just very special tables?

theflyingdutchp

AndreyB wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:38 am

Hey Andrey, thanks for getting back to me. Maybe an explanation of why will help. If you have the table loaded properly it will show the cell you're in at that moment in the log. So, for example, if you're tuning AFR you'll know exactly which VE cell to adjust. Or if you're see knock in the log you'll know exactly which timing cell to adjust. You can do this now, but you have to look at your RPM & load and then manually look them up in the table in TunerStudio. Instead, you can make the adjustments with the log open, all in the same application.

If that doesn't make sense let me know, and I'll make a video to show the functionality. I can provide screenshots of the changes that would be needed if it helps.

I think it'll support as many as you want, but I think that the base VE & timing tables would be 80% of the utility.
theflyingdutchp

Well I'm still around - had some pretty serious issues on the first test drive including letting the smoke out of the harness :oops:

There is some serious damage to some parts the harness. I think I had a bad fuse, the body of it melted but it didn't pop. It seems all isolated to one circuit but I need to chase it all down. I suspect some parts in the trunk shorted the wire :/

I wish I still owned an MG - then I could just add some new smoke! :D

Trying to stay light-hearted but this may be the end of the project and the car :(
theflyingdutchp

Well I've isolated all the damage but I have no idea what happened. That circuit doesn't interact with the EFI at all...
Anyway, disabled that circuit - car still starts, idles, runs enough for me to move it around.

More news in a few weeks hopefully.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Oh no! That's never fun.

There must be something in the air, because I was just chasing a short in the wiring harness too. Volvo thought it was a good idea to route a single wire (no looming!) next to a sharp metal clip, that eventually wore a hole in the insulation and shorted it to ground. Ugh!
theflyingdutchp

mck1117 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:06 pm
Oh no! That's never fun.

There must be something in the air, because I was just chasing a short in the wiring harness too. Volvo thought it was a good idea to route a single wire (no looming!) next to a sharp metal clip, that eventually wore a hole in the insulation and shorted it to ground. Ugh!
You nailed it haha - not been the most enjoyable. Just glad I noticed the smoke before it got really bad.

Were you able to catch it before it caused any serious damage?
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

theflyingdutchp wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:52 am
mck1117 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:06 pm
Oh no! That's never fun.

You nailed it haha - not been the most enjoyable. Just glad I noticed the smoke before it got really bad.

Were you able to catch it before it caused any serious damage?
Thankfully the symptom of mine was that it just popped the fuse, so no other damage done (and that fuse was only for the heater fan, so it didn't take anything else out with it). I just had to take the dash partially apart, find the wire and offending clip, tape over the tiny hole in the wire, and zip tie everything away from those clips.
theflyingdutchp

mck1117 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:32 am
Thankfully the symptom of mine was that it just popped the fuse, so no other damage done (and that fuse was only for the heater fan, so it didn't take anything else out with it). I just had to take the dash partially apart, find the wire and offending clip, tape over the tiny hole in the wire, and zip tie everything away from those clips.
Isn't it nice when fuses work? :| :D
theflyingdutchp

Wow I thought I updated this! :oops:

1. Wiring damage isolated and repaired or removed
2. Car runs - tuning is hard :lol:
3. Smoke screen - activated by engine braking :?