RusEFI on 2016 WRX?

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Detrex

RusEFI on 2016 WRX?

Post by Detrex »

Hello RusEFI Community!

I have no programming experience whatsoever, but a lot of tuning experience. I came from the RomRaider community, where I was tuning a 2002 Subaru WRX using the Carberry ROM. My old car has been replaced with a 2016 WRX, and I wanted to see if there was any chance of me getting started with RusEFI on this car.

I am currently using the Cobb AccessPORT v3 and their ATR software to tune my vehicle. I like the opensource nature of RusEFI, and would love to be able to add features such as map switching, flex fuel, boost-off-the-line, antilag, etc.

So I have a few questions:

1. Do any of the experienced users here think it would be able to make an OS ECU to work with the USDM 2016 WRX?
2. If so, would the OS ECU be able to control all of the CAN associated features? (HVAC, Speedometer, starter lockout, etc)?
- If not, Could a "piggy-back" situation be enabled to control the engine, while allowing the other functions of the car to remain controlled by the factory ECU?
3. Is there anyone what would be willing me in the construction of the ECU? If so, I would be willing to help with the tuning of your vehicle.

Thanks!
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: RusEFI on 2016 WRX?

Post by AndreyB »

Welcome!

Is that electronic or mechanical throttle? where in the US are you?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I forget but is that Direct Injection, or manifold injection? I'm fairly certain it's direct injection, with electronic throttle. Or should I say electronic turbo :) as I believe the air is controlled more by the turbo than the throttle.

I seem to recall OEM for STI was somewhere north of 305HP from 2.5 liter. I'm not sure what after market increases allow these days. I know Team Subaru rally vehicles push 450+ HP from basically the same engine.

Do you have DCCD I seem to recall that was the transmission that can change something like 70% HP to the front left tire, then a fraction of a second later it can transfer 70% to the rear right tire.

I think there may be some technical issues to overcome. I'm sure we would be willing to give it a try, but it might be a bit to large of a bite. Lets learn a bit more about the lower level details and see how possible it could be. I know in the past I've inquired with russian about making an ECU simulator, such that we send signals to an existing ECU which provides OEM dash controls, while in reality separately controlling the engine to our desires. One of my key concerns is the integrations into the transmission.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
porelmundo
contributor
contributor

Post by porelmundo »

I have some experience working with this cars for the Barbados rally, also i write some codes for the subaru trigger wheels at least in the past. Good project i need to say.
Detrex

Post by Detrex »

The 2016 USDM WRX has a drive-by-wire throttle body. It comes with the FA20DIT motor, a 2L, direct injected, 268hp monster!

It has a 6 speed gear box, but no DCCD.

I am located in southeast Michigan.

I'm probably pushing 320hp to the wheels in the current configuration. I have removed the TGV's, so one less input to worry about haha!

If I were a coder then I would be able to interrogate the current ECU, harvest the xml definitions, and be able to tune using romraider. But the fact is that I am not a coder, and I don't currently have the time to learn all of that. But having a stand-alone, or even piggy-back, efi controller available for these cars would be a huge step forward. Especially if it added the abilities that the CarberryROM has!

So here is a little more information:

AVCS on all 4 cams
Direct Injection with associated HPFP
2 oxygen sensors in exhaust stream for fuel trims
MAP sensor to adjust for erroneous MAF determinations
Electronic Boost Control Solenoid (Aftermarket Interrupt type)

I think it would be a good idea to code for the front O2 sensor to read like a Wideband AFR sensor, as that would help tuning immensely, and be able to avoid the extra cost.

I am a car guy, in my free time I turn the wrench on my car. That's my release. I am willing to help in any way I can to make this project successful, I just have NO CLUE how to start on my own.

What other questions do you have?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Detrex wrote:drive-by-wire throttle body.
direct injected
this is a nice modern 2016 engine. rusEfi is still in the 1990s - we only support mechanical cable throttle body and we only support manifold injection, not direct injection. Modern engines are getting more and more complex and while we dream to handle these one day, it's not today.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I agree it would be a large undertaking to get this supported. This project has not yet controlled direct injection injectors. They need a voltage spike around 80V to 300V while normal injectors are run off your 12V. I have done some simulations and have a potential schematic, but it has never been tested in the real world and would require significant software support. I believe the electronic throttle body is less of an issue than @russian is expecting. However the turbo control is as bad or worst than he's thinking. While we have done some great things, I fear this would be too large of a bite to take right now.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)