Newbie from North West England

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
V8Volvo245

Post by V8Volvo245 »

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

My name's Mark and I'm from the Fylde Coast in the UK. I'm doing a rather unusual engine swap and am hoping to be the first to do it. It's the 4.0L supercharged V8 from a 1998 Jaguar XJR and it's going into a Volvo 245.

Most people are ignoring the Jaguar engines since they are extremely difficult to get running in an engine swap. The automatic transmission is not only electronically controlled but also does a self-test with the ABS and traction control before allowing the engine to start. This makes it very difficult to get working in an engine swap since there is no manual gearbox that is a straight forward bolt-on to the engine.

Or is there? I have found out that there is one gearbox that fits, and it's from another Jaguar. It will require a custom flywheel but that is easily and relatively inexpensively done.

Needless to say, with the gearbox problem sorted the factory engine management ecu now has to be ditched, and that is where rusEfi hopefully comes in. I can do all the mechanical stuff but I am a novice when it comes to electronics and standalone EMS.

I require 8 ignition outputs as the engine is COP. I also require 8 injection outputs and fully sequential injection. I need a system that can use a MAP sensor since that will allow me to ditch the MAF. I think that's about it.

Have I come to the right place? :D
V8Volvo245

Post by V8Volvo245 »

Double post, sorry.
Last edited by V8Volvo245 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Newbie from North West England

Post by AndreyB »

V8Volvo245 wrote:I require 8 ignition outputs as the engine is COP. I also require 8 injection outputs and fully sequential injection. I need a system that can use a MAP sensor since that will allow me to ditch the MAF. I think that's about it.

Have I come to the right place? :D
Yes :) Welcome to the forum!

I should have assembled boards back in stock in about 1 or two months, at the moment only a DIY kit is available.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
V8Volvo245

Post by V8Volvo245 »

Brilliant! I am in no hurry, though. just good to know the ECU can do what I want. Thank you. :D
Last edited by V8Volvo245 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Welcome along and pleasure to meet you.

Have you found the wiki yet? Just in case you have not, here's a link.
https://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware_Frankenso_board
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)