Canuck with a British Project

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Phil

Canuck with a British Project

Post by Phil »

Hello,

I've been passively monitoring this site for about a year now and figured it's time to dive in and start actually planning out my project. I've got a 1970 Triumph GT6 that I've been toying with the idea of adding EFI, including spark control, to for quite a while. Originally I was looking at megasquirt, but like the open nature of RusEFI and it has me rather intrigued. If/when I get things working, it might put me in the running for the oldest engine running RusEFI, which is a fun perk.

The engine is a 2.0L inline 6 with twin carbs and points, so it would be a full redo. Preferabbly I would do this in parts, get either fuel or spark working first, then get both working together. This will be a fairly extensive project, with the basic to-do list as I see it being:
- Crank sensor - either in front of behind the pulley
- Upgrade alternator (anticipating this will likely be needed)
- Wideband O2 sensor
- ECU - Thinking frankenso, probably a pre-assembled board, as I don't know if I trust my soldering skills enough for self assembly
- Custom intake manifold with 1 injector per cylinder. Injectors, airflow sensor, idle control etc. to be determined, but will need to be fairly low profile for hood clearance.
- High pressure fuel pump retrofitted in fuel tank, high pressure fuel line, return line, fuel rail etc.
- Spark control - thinking maybe miata coils, as they should be pretty cheap and effective.

Are there any glaring issues anyone sees with this, recommendations for coils, sensors, etc that are known to work very well? I anticipate this to be a slowly progressing project, but am open to any advise you're willing to give!

-Phil
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: Canuck with a British Project

Post by kb1gtt »

Hello and welcome along.

It sounds like you have the major pieces in mind. Don't forget a MAP or MAF.

I would suggest drawing up a schematic, even if done on a piece of paper. It helps you keep track of the wires and features.

Are you looking to push power? Some times when people are pushing turbo's and such, they look for igniters which are hotter than OEM. It sounds like your naturally aspirated with OEM compression, so I believe your Miata coils should be more than acquitted.

Have you found the wiki yet? If not here is a link you might find interesting. https://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware_Frankenso_board
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks kb1gtt,

Regarding an MAP or MAF, is there one that's particularly well suited? I'll be making a custom intake, so as long as it's relatively compact to fit I wouldn't have a real preference.

Schematic is a great idea, I'll have to scribble something together shortly. Electric fan control is another item I would like to control, but that doesn't necessarily need to be from day 1.

No plans for huge power, as the rest of the drivetrain would self destruct if I get too crazy. I would likely not be looking to get anything over 150hp on the high end. Is there any disadvantage to going to hotter igniters? LS2 could also be easily accomplished, I don't have any parts in hand currently, so it's pretty much an empty slate.

I have dug through some of the wiki, but there's always more to read.
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

Phil wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm
Regarding an MAP or MAF, is there one that's particularly well suited? I'll be making a custom intake, so as long as it's relatively compact to fit I wouldn't have a real preference.
GM MAP sensors are pretty popular for swaps and such. The ones that look like this are convenient:

You just plumb a short length of hose to it, so you can mount it near the engine instead of a finely machined port that it has to fit in.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Agreed, the GM MAP is good. Of course the MPX####'s are also good. Basically you're looking for a voltage output.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Yep, I'm using an MPX4250 only because I harvested it from a Megasquirt! :D

I'll probably switch at some point to an in-engine bay sensor as I don't like the vacuum line entering the car. More easy failure points.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Reviving my aspirations on this project a bit, given current hardware status I have a bit of a conundrum. The microRusEFI would be perfect, but only officially supports 4 cylinders. This is a simple engine, with no variable valve timing or anything, is it feasible to make the microRusEFI work for sequential injection/ignition on 6 cylinders? Hellen looks like it might be a better bet when it becomes available, not sure what that timing is like though. Any disadvantage to going with a Frankenso?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, and still have a tonne of work to do for this, so am not in a panic to run out and get the EFI unit right away, if that matters.

Thanks,