(Bio)Diesel Powered

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Noxz

Re: (Bio)Diesel Powered

Post by Noxz »

I'm for sustainability.

My other project car, taking up the garage space, is an electric kit car from the late '70s. I am working towards producing graphene (continuous film) based supercapacitors as the energy storage device for that. But.. I am quite a whiles away from getting it working and I have a desire to not take buses anymore. I have never had my driver's license due to being against oil - and was a bicycle mechanic for a number of years. Because I have been working on this electric "car" (I only got the shell a few years back) for quite some time I had nearly dismissed all other "alternatives".

Amateur Chemistry is a hobby of mine.. Knowing only of biodiesel, I had to lookup what the main production route (transesterification of an oil to get rid of a sticky glycerin backbone). In my opinion, the "backyard" method that nearly everyone is doing is severely lacking in quality and ingenuity. But it works and so people utilize it. I have a few other processes planned out that will need some experimenting to get right, but they have some advantages..

So, really, it comes down to not wanting to take shortcuts to get the electric car going while still wanting to go for a sustainable path - and if I could mix my love for chemistry in it, then all the better. Buying a ready to go electric car is not the direction I want to go neither - that defeats the whole purpose of building one myself. I could have made this current biodiesel project 'easy' and bought an older VW or Merc which will gobble anything, but, again, I like optimizations... and old technology is lacking that - so I set my sights on a modern engine. The one I picked (LH7) was merely because it was available on ebay.. there were certainly a few others, but the process would have been similar. Unless I was starting with a full donor car - using an open source ECU should be interesting way to implant a modern engine into a different car. There was no turn-key solution for all of the features I was wanting.. Plus I like a challenge.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

Also, got RS232 decoding to work without too much hassle..
Attachments
DSC_4937.jpg
DSC_4937.jpg (405.28 KiB) Viewed 16458 times
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Hello scope, how do you like your new life :)

About Bio-diesel, have you considered simply heating up vegetable oil, and using that? Around 15 years ago I used to dub around with the folks at the below link. I recall the fellow who was doing that had run something like 100kmiles on one tank of biodiesel. The rest was simply heated scrap oil which he would obtain from local restaurants. He ran on the bio diesel just long enough to heat the scrap food oil. Once heated enough to get the viscosity to be the same as diesel, he would simply run the heated oil.
https://www.greasecar.com/

Of course don't forget around woodgas.
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html

I tend to like the fluidized bed gassification efforts. I recall that Butterball turkey once made a significant effort with this approach. They had extra turkey parts (carbon chains) which they put in a drum with some diesel fuel. They sealed it and heated it to something like 300 PSI and 300F, then the longer carbon chains turned into shorter carbon chains like diesel fuel length. After a set amount of time, they then opened the container and filtered out more diesel than they put in. When they got shut down there were lots of conspiracy theories. Some claims that the government shut them down because they weren't paying the road taxes, other claims that the process was creating pollution and the EPA shut them down. I personally think the real issue is that it simply didn't make finical sense. I'm sure you know there are lots of issue with bio fuels. The biggest issue being that we don't have enough bio fuel to satisfy our needs. However for an individual who is off grid and doesn't mind the extra labor, bio fuels can be an option.

About graphene caps, there are lots of issues with using series caps, and getting a balanced pack and preventing self discharge is a problem. As well there are issues with punctures. I've wanted to dub around some with caps for smaller things like hand drills, but even then it's hard to get significant energy storage. Either you loose your capacity from the balancing issues, or you loose your capacity as it's hard to boost 0.7V up to something usable. Most caps want a full charge to be less than 2V such that you can maintain a long life. So right out of the gate you loose about 50% capacity. It's a real blah. I would love to have a cordless drill that I can charge in a matter of seconds. Small scale efforts like that are far easier to obtain than larger scale road worthy efforts.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

Scope made me clean my desk so it had a nice place to live.. still a bit of reorganizing and whatnot..

When initially researching BD I had to look at differences with SVO/WVO. I actually plan on acquiring WVO as my oil source in the conversion to BD. Complexity is the main issue here, two different fuel systems. And VO creates far more issues on shutoff from the residue left over.. possibly flipping back to BD for a few moments to clean the injectors out would suffice, but that increases the complexity.. Also, I am not really aware of (I didnt look into it) people running VO in modern direct injection engines.. I can only imagine what the oil may do in the cold to those. And I do not live in a warm climate, so I do have to worry about winterization.

The route I am leaning towards actually does use high pressures.. First step (beyond filtering WVO) is that MeOH is insoluble w/ oil - so lots of stirring needs to happen, well, I have some ultrasonic homogenizers that do that job perfectly. Next up is to put this mixture into a pressure rector with a solid oxide catalyst - the "backyard" method uses NaOH which gets washed away.. to call it a catalyst is true, but it isnt recoverable.. next up will be separation of the glycerin and subsequent water washes with a co-axial electric field to speed up coalescence.. I will likely make videos of this whole process - I actually plan on starting a YT channel for chemistry related (with heavy electronic influences) experiments..

and yeah, figuring out a way to utilize the low voltage from graphene caps will be a fun aspect.. right now I am merely working towards a continuous production of low-layer deposition on thin films.. the electronics to balance/boost will come later - and that is a reason why I am looking at getting a BD vehicle going sooner..
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

side note..

I will likely be using the 'fuel-pump' drivers from the board afterall.. Two PWM solenoid valves (2-wire) at inlet to commainrail and outlet(overpressure).. but there is only one sense circuit on the IC for those two low sides so maintaining both at once may not trackable.. but really just sending them a set PWM should suffice..

beyond the Vsense stuff, the only sensor in the fuel system (beyond water-in-filter things) is the fuel rail pressure (which is a double pwm in single unit- 4 wire, for redundancy)
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

SVO?? Perhaps Scavenged Vegetable Oil? From sources like restaurant's which will have animal fats and such.
WVO?? Perhaps Waste Vegetable Oil? From sources like industrial waste, which will likely be more pure.

In the grease car home page, you'll see a 2002 VW Golf. I recall that was common rail and turbo charged. The are in VT, so it got plenty cold in the winter. If I recall correctly Scott was working on GPS way points, such that on your daily commute you could set a GPS point which would automatically start your purge before you got to point B. As well I recall it had an engine delay and sensor, such that you could park, and it would keep the engine running. Then when the optical sensor saw a change in color, it would then shut off the engine. AKA you didn't have to wait around to purge the VO. I also recall an attempt to hijack the OBD to some extent. There are unused codes. I recall he was making a kind of gateway, such that normal OBD traffic was passed normally. However if a specific code was noticed, this gateway would reply with the VO systems information. This was handy as off the shelf scan tools could be used to obtain diagnostic data. The last I recall he broke the OBD port as VW (and the industry in general) did not follow the spec. He assumed the spec was OK to use, and blew some internal fuse. I don't know if he ever got that fixed. As well the last I saw him, the other features were under new and heavy development. I'm not sure if they ever made it into a product or not. It was some cool and exciting stuff.

I've been out of the BD stuff for some years. We were dumping lye into a bucket and stirring it. The let time settle it out. Of course filters were a huge cost in all of this and made it cheaper to purchase than to make. I'm not sure about some of the new tech. I know fatigue issues and metal erosion issues with ultrasonic's. I'm completely ignorant about coaxial electric fields as applied to BD. I have a reasonably familiarity with coax cables as it applies to RF, but I don't know how they apply to BD.

I've heard people note, a clean shop is a sign of a dirty mind.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

SVO = Straight Veggie Oil, "Virgin" by any other name
WVO = Waste Veggie Oil, gotta filter out the left over french fries

Having a system to do all the switchovers automagically would be great.. but it's simply not appealing to me.. especially since(have I mentioned this yet?) that the shell I want to stick this engine into is a Smart ForTwo... so a little tiny to have two fuel systems!

It is interesting that it can work in the dead of winter in cold climates, but I still feel it's a valid point to bring up.

the tips/"horns" (and vessels) of ultrasonics pit over time from the cavitation.

the electric field coalescing can be seen at

which was from DOI: 10.1039/C6CP06085D
(let me know if you dont know how to access peer reviewed papers)
"resolution" is another term for de-mulsifying
There are other videos on youtube of people sticking two copper wires with a current into the BD+glycerin product and the glycerin nearly immediately just falls to the bottom - and that was actually the source of discovering the 'how'.. the idea behind the coaxial is that the electric field is non-uniform, and thus because it "pinches" towards the middle/inner electrode you get greater coalescing. The other vids on this on youtube don't *actually* know the reason is due to the electric field and the dielectric constants of the various molecules.
This can be used to remove the glycerin and subsequent water washes.

yeah, Lye + MeOH + Stirring with a little heat is this "backyard" method. It has several disadvantageous, but is actually *quite* good in yield and simplicity. I try not to knock it because it works, but I can point out a few things to bring it into this century..

And no worries on the "shop" staying clean.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

Oooo, pretty..

arrived way ahead of schedule, engine wont be here till next week, maybe I can find a solenoid around here somewhere to mess with..

Also, my desk is spalted maple, so hard to tell if dirty or clean :P
Attachments
DSC_4938.jpg
DSC_4938.jpg (381.03 KiB) Viewed 16429 times
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

just got a call from the freight carrier, scheduled delivery for the next Wednesday the 11th..
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

Strange, but took a while to get the USB->SPI driver to "work" on my windows7 dev box.. The driver wasn't digitally signed (at least with the few updates I have applied to my system) and I had to reboot with (f8) a mode to specify to allow for unsigned drivers.. then it's fine

it kinda screwed up my ancient mechanical keyboard for a moment though..

one of the USB ports on the KL25Z is for programming while the other is the 'host' USB that the IC will use.. After fiddling about with the programming (openSDA) and putting pre-compiled blinky LED programs on, I had to re-locate the USB-SPI program.. but this didnt help the driver being unsigned at all..
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I understand that is the nxp di driver. I want to make sure as the stm board has similar.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

the SPI interface is to the direct injection driver board, yes.. I was saying I had issues with the windows driver... I can assume that SPI is SPI and the DI driver doesnt care what is talking to it..

Are you saying the STM board has two usb interfaces as well? one for programming and the other for the IC to use? I havent looked at the discovery board at all just yet.. just hasn't made it's way onto my list..

oh, and I'm now sick :(
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Yes the STM32 discovery has 2X USB's. One for programming and another for general purpose use. The Frankenso includes an FTDI 232 interface as well, so you have a 3rd USB option on the Frankenso.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

Not much to add from the weekend, but figured I might give a slight update since I do have the eval board (and I should crosspost some of this info onto the thread about the made board)..

I was able to decode some MOSI SPI.. but everything I was getting on MISO from the driver was all blank.. then I remembered to supply the external power, but I still need to retest some of the decoding.. getting triggering to work was iffy, including the ability to trigger on a certain SPI byte/word/.. I likely just need more practice on it. the scope seemed to do a bit better when I turned down the default 4mhz clock to lower.. But does it really matter since the SPIgen software shows the exact SPI word it sends? Sure, there are some downloading of rams etc that isnt as such (more so buttons to push) that may be helpful to trace what is going on, and then just cross reference the datasheet.

Turning the DC-DC boost converter on was easy enough (via software it was just setting the DRIVEN pin to HIGH).. the eval board seemed to get up to 65V (docs say 40V) when supplied externally with 12V (and plenty of amps).

edit: my one solenoid I found (an old espresso pump) was a high resistance one, so it wouldn't work on this driver board..

Getting over my sickness (yay, relatively short considering), but also was focusing on some house work (getting permits/finishing floor plans) that needs to be prioritized as I need to put on a new roof during the summer (no rain)..

Engine is still set to arrive Wednesday.. I only have rough sketches of what the flowbench should be..
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

oh, and I really like the test.. hooks? loops of metal that allow easy connections to scope probes, vs pads that would require a pogo or similar.. may be worth having similar on a board..
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Good news and glad to hear your getting better.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

I'll likely crosspost on your board design post.. but stumbled across this as it sort of gave me an issue just now..

"Does anyone know why the demo board uses 3.3V for the external XTAL? I'm tempted to remove the 3.3V and make it 5V. As well I still don't have a crystal for this. I do not know the MHz which the crystal should operate.

Should I expect the SPI to work with the discovery? I think we might have a 3.3V vs 5V issue. "

The MC33816 has a VccIO pin to allow you to supply 3.3v or 5v for the different IO levels.. the eval board has a jumper for it, and was set to 5v.. which was actually incorrect since, even in the eval board documentation, states the KL25Z uses 3.3v logic, so I had to change it over..

The IC has an internal 1mhz crystal.. not sure what the frankenso/discovery is just yet because I am behind on a few things.. but at least wanted to bring up the IO level capability.. That is simply an internal clock which is PLL'd up to 24Mhz.. SPI comm works fine at a baud of 4Mhz..

Some of that likely helpful.. minus that last thought which I now re-read and is somewhat garble..
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

STM32 is 3V so you'll need that jumper to 3V friendly. The SPI can be adjusted for different speeds. Currently not much actually uses it. The EGT's thermocouples can use it, so if you can get a baud rate which happens to work with the thermocouple chips that would be handy.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

Fairly strange.. but I can't get any SPI read/writes to "work"...
The scope shows it going through..

during the command the check bytes are sent back as expected.. then nothing during the second word.. re-reading the datasheet again and again to see if I am missing anything.
(on the MC33816 datasheet: 6.15.5.13.1SPI read access, describes the checkbyte)

It is apparent the Freedom board is using "Mode B" where the CS is held during the entire transmission, but states the chip can use either method for the spi_config.. but even setting it to B has no effect..

the source for the usb->spi stuff is not available/open

I've submitted a ticket to NXP, their forums showed one other guy with the same issue and no responses.
Attachments
mc ident.jpg
mc ident.jpg (322.99 KiB) Viewed 16272 times
DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png (46.06 KiB) Viewed 16272 times
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

doh, spoke too soon!

page 111 outlined the procedure to set it up, but there was also some example code that demonstrated it as well.. I was banging my head on this nearly all day, glad it is resolved..

for reference, the two commands to send are:

Selection Register: Common Page Select bit (write)
0x7FE10004

SPI Config: Protocol Mode (high = mode B which is what the FL25Z seems to be using), + all bits of watchdog
0x3901005F

.. and then reads/writes seem to work as expected
Attachments
x9D = device ID
x9D = device ID
DS1Z_QuickPrint2.png (46.13 KiB) Viewed 16270 times
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Noxz wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 am
I was banging my head on this nearly all day, glad it is resolved.
now think how hard that would have been if you did not have an OEM board and you were not sure if the problem was your board or some unclear misc detail.

Good to hear you're making progress.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

right..
the clue actually started from the source code that was available.. so sure, not having a board is one thing, but it would have taken me a while to hunt through the datasheet to find the correct select precommand without the code.. I was a little worried about it to start with, since the first functions of SPI related stuff (init, send, read) was all commented with `// TODO`.. but luckily it was inline in a different function
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

oh, and because the usb-spi interface is closed source (or at least was never made available) I wont be able to tap into unused GPIOs to sense the rail pressure.. I do have a different devkit floating around (BLE), though I know I should likely get the frankenso board sooner than later.. but engine is due to arrive today, so we'll see how far we can get with that and such..
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

YAY!
Attachments
DSC_4944.jpg
DSC_4944.jpg (224.25 KiB) Viewed 16244 times
DSC_4943.jpg
DSC_4943.jpg (241.79 KiB) Viewed 16244 times
Abricos
contributor
contributor

Post by Abricos »

hi ...
i am in NJ if you need clean used VEG oil i have ... :D
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

Abricos wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 pm
i am in NJ if you need clean used VEG oil i have ... :D
hah, thanks, but I'm currently in the PNW..
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

It looks like they were kind of nice in the removal. To bad they didn't give you more of a pig tail on those cut wires.
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

yeah, overall it looks pretty good, even some fluids left inside which were (mostly) sealed with caps..

recrimping isn't _too_ big of a deal, but yeah...
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

Getting basic SPI functionality to work on from scratch codebase.. since NXP didn't provide any and I need to read in the fuel rail pressure sensor before I even think about driving the pump to ensure no over pressurization occurs..

sad part was that there was not really available pins on the board since they were mostly all just taken up in the headers.. there's relatively easy solutions, and it was fairly low pin count for SPI + RSTB

btw, the 0x9D is the device ID for the MC33816, and it wont return unless the prior commands as discovered are issued first..

.. Progress! .. now I need to figure out the pressure sensor, and I will also likely be driving the two regulators via the 'fuel pump' circuit

(lots of other simple work to get things setup as well, but there needed to be a starting base)
Attachments
DS1Z_QuickPrint3.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint3.png (45.98 KiB) Viewed 16226 times
DSC_4945.jpg
DSC_4945.jpg (320.35 KiB) Viewed 16226 times
Noxz

Post by Noxz »

double checked the resistance of the injectors.. on a 200ohm setting on the dmm I got ~0.7ohm on three, and 0.5ohm on #1 cylinder.. possibly just not good enough resolution, but the verification here, which was essentially known before hand, was that it is low resistance injectors and should work fine with this driver IC