New car coming soon

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
lvx

New car coming soon

Post by lvx »

Hello from Italy!
just received the diy kit today and started soldering, i've a couple of questions:

1) apart from using the silk print on the board how can i see where each part goes? I normally use eagle cad, but it seems that the project is in kicad?
2) the usb port should be soldered on the ttl right?
3) how are written the values on the capacitors?

a part from the i've soldered quite all the big parts in a couple of hours

i'm planning on use it in my 1993 celiac turbo (3sgte) will need a lot of help! :)

thanks
Luca
Attachments
IMG_4720.jpg
IMG_4720.jpg (969.31 KiB) Viewed 8907 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: New car coming soon

Post by AndreyB »

lvx wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 pm
1) apart from using the silk print on the board how can i see where each part goes? I normally use eagle cad, but it seems that the project is in kicad?
2) the usb port should be soldered on the ttl right?
there are position gerbers or you can use https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/blob/master/hardware/frankenso/frankenso_PCB.pdf or you can install KiCAD

TTL could wait since you have micro USB on discovery which works just fine. Does yout power supply produce 5v volts already? :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
lvx

Post by lvx »

Will have to reverse all the leds but yes, it works :D
Last edited by lvx on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lvx

Post by lvx »

how do i use the pdf? seems all the layer one over the other
junk3r
kit assembler

Post by junk3r »

I made some pictures with only the silkscreen layers in my thread:

https://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1353

Hopefully it can help you out too.
lvx

Post by lvx »

junk3r wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:13 pm
I made some pictures with only the silkscreen layers in my thread:

https://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1353

Hopefully it can help you out too.
thanks that's really useful!

i've connected w23 and the whole board seems to work, no smoke, also the discovery lighted up! :o :o

tomorrow i will start soldering resistors and capacitors, so far so good!
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I would like to suggest doing sections. AKA solder in something like the CAN chips, and make sure it works, then install the MAX chip for crank decoding, etc. Doing it bit by bit can be really helpful when something goes wrong. Also if you can get you patience to allow it, doing it in small steps is handy for diagnostics purposes. Small bits really helps isolate where problems are.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
ZHoob2004
contributor
contributor

Post by ZHoob2004 »

kb1gtt wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:07 am
I would like to suggest doing sections. AKA solder in something like the CAN chips, and make sure it works, then install the MAX chip for crank decoding, etc. Doing it bit by bit can be really helpful when something goes wrong. Also if you can get you patience to allow it, doing it in small steps is handy for diagnostics purposes. Small bits really helps isolate where problems are.
To add to this, you only need to do those sections that you are going to need. A basic setup will need the power supply, trigger, analog, low side, and potentially high/low.

On a related note, should an "assembly" section be added to the wiki? Not necessarily a complete guide to assemble the board, but rather a collection of links and best practices to help give the greatest chance of success, such as links to the pdf gerbers, recommendations to view the schematic in kicad, and the modular approach to construction.
lvx

Post by lvx »

ZHoob2004 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 pm
On a related note, should an "assembly" section be added to the wiki? Not necessarily a complete guide to assemble the board, but rather a collection of links and best practices to help give the greatest chance of success, such as links to the pdf gerbers, recommendations to view the schematic in kicad, and the modular approach to construction.
moving ahead there are a lot of minor things that would be useful to have in an assembly wiki, things that was hard to guess are:
1) R1003, on the back of the board is the only component of the power supply that is not on the front and without it the power supply will shutdown after some minutes of work
2) jumper w23 to enable power to the board
3) jp01 to power lcd! i was looking for it a lot!
4) the pins for the lcd are less than the holes, only upper and lower have to be populated
5) an hint on how the leds have the polarity would be great too

i've loaded the project online on eased to search for the part number on pcb easily:
https://easyeda.com/editor#id=26d1112f5275490cba151fd4ab7e6350

then it will be nice to have a photo of the populated parts of the board and a walkthrough to test all the parts.

I would like to populate and test the whole board as i don't know what i will use in the future and i would like not to solder parts in a second time.

Also does the joystick would work ootb? It does nothing :?:

I'm now in populate the injector part and test it, any hint?

below my progress so far
IMG_4721.jpg
IMG_4721.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 8867 times
i've also created two svg with the components place that can be useful
Attachments
Component place svg.zip
(290.41 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

should an "assembly" section be added to the wiki?
Would be really handy. I have not assembled one, so it would be hard for me to do, as well I'm short on time. I would suggest getting access to the Wiki and create a page.
lvx

Post by lvx »

lvx wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:51 am

Also does the joystick would work out of the box? It does nothing :?:
any help on that?
ZHoob2004
contributor
contributor

Post by ZHoob2004 »

I have confirmed the joystick working in the past (0.4 board and older firmware) but I believe I installed mine in the wrong orientation (I don't recall how exactly). In my case, I ended up melting the joystick while trying to reposition it so it works, but 3 of the 4 directions are nonfunctional in my case.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Perhaps use a multi-meter to verify that the STM's pin is changing voltage. Does that show that you are getting a signal to the STM32?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

lvx wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:51 am
Also does the joystick would work ootb? It does nothing :?:
joystick allows you to navigate over the limited LCD screen

joystickinfo command in console shows how many clicks were recorded on which side.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute