kit assembler

Re: 2004 Mazda MX5 1.8 VVT #50

Post by Crazy Striker »

You may find it very close to yours as I used it to solve my coil issues
MgFoster

Post by MgFoster »

-Coolant temp multiplier looks right.

-Cranking advance I would think should be closer to 10 deg. And then I would put the 500 rpm row in your ignition table closer to 10 deg in the 62-99 kpa rows.

-I would run 8.0ms of cranking dwell.

-2.0 ms of cranking pulse width seems very low for 265cc injectors. I would suspect to see it more in the 4ms range. It sounded like it wasn't getting enough fuel to start, and then once it starts, your VE table is VERY rich.
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 9.16.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 9.16.24 PM.png (135.98 KiB) Viewed 22239 times
This is the VE table that I first used to run autotune on and it was definitely off, but a good starting point.
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

I've made the changes.
Are you still using manual idle or have you succeeded in finding good PID values ?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Here are the idle PID numbers I am using on NA6

Code: Select all

engineConfiguration->idleMode = IM_AUTO;
	// below 20% this valve seems to be opening for fail-safe idle air
	engineConfiguration->idleRpmPid.minValue = 20;
	engineConfiguration->idleRpmPid.pFactor = 0.01;
	engineConfiguration->idleRpmPid.iFactor = 0.00001;
	engineConfiguration->idleRpmPid.dFactor = 0.0001;
	engineConfiguration->idleRpmPid.periodMs = 100;
a thing I've learned recently is how much shorter periodMs helps, so maybe try 50 or 10?

A fun thing about NA6 air valve was that below 20% this valve seems to be opening for fail-safe idle air
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
MgFoster

Post by MgFoster »

Ive run manual idle so far and its worked ok. Might venture into tuning PID since i'm about to hook up AC and I bet the idle will fall too low with manual idle.

Are you planning on running turbo? Are you going to switch over to RusEfi permanently or are you planning on still running the stock ECU long term?
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

I'm actually planning to install a M62 supercharger on it so I will have to run RusEFI permanently. I will do it as soon as possible.

I've tried your values, the car starts pretty well now but I may have a software bug as I'm unable to reach over 2900rpm without having trigger errors and loud bangs, you can see it in the second video I've attached. It worked fine before, revving up to 4k as in first videos. Only 10 minutes between the two videos.only change was switching between manual and auto IAC. Some values may have gone wild when burning ECU
It may be time to flash new firmware
First, everything runs fine
https://youtu.be/SQrHDjmcveY

And then ...
https://youtu.be/0e3-cfs7JtE

The sniffer log when the issue happens
2019-05-28_20_24_01rpm_1068_maf_0.0.png
2019-05-28_20_24_01rpm_1068_maf_0.0.png (44.75 KiB) Viewed 22208 times
Gwendal
MgFoster

Post by MgFoster »

That is very strange.... I think a log would be more helpful than a video in this case. Is it losing trigger sync? Looks almost like a rev limiter. Also, get some gas!!

Take a log and upload that as well as the tune.
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

I added the log just when you were replying
And here is the tune file :

[The extension msq has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Gas has been done don't worry ;) I try to avoid filling with 93, waiting for my injector filters to come to install 420cc and run E85

Thanks for your help

Gwendal
MgFoster

Post by MgFoster »

New firmware and starting from an older tune seems like as good a place to start as any.
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

Crazy Striker wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:21 pm

The sniffer log when the issue happens
I'm assuming that it happens even when the sniffer isn't connected (the sniffer does have some overhead on the ECU, so it isn't quite "free" to use - but should be fine to use under normal conditions). What firmware are you using? You flashed the file called rusefi_release.bin not rusefi_debug.bin, correct?

One thing you can try is use the ST-link utility to do a full chip erase, re-flash the same firmware, then connect to tunerstudio, which should reconfigure the ECU the same way (which may fix a corrupted configuration, if that's the issue).
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Yes it was happening with only TunerStudio connected.
I will try the full erase and hopefully test if it is working tomorrow.
I'm so close now 😅 can't wait to drive on RUSEFI

For Russian, I was wondering if you would be interested in me building a PNP ECU based on the new TLE8888 architecture which could fit in a board the size of the NB2 connector. I've studied all the schematics for RusEFI boards including TLE8888 and it seems very promising

Gwendal
MgFoster

Post by MgFoster »

Get it fixed?
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

It was the ending of my school year I was quite busy and didn't get the opportunity.
I'm off for some hiking in French Alps until Wednesday. I should then be able do dedicate some time to it.

Gwendal
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Hi folks !

Sorry for the time between posts, I've been in an intership in Belgium this summer (it's not completed yet) and didn't have the opportunity to work on my rusEFI.
As I'm home for a week I just reflashed the board with latest ST and rusEFI Firmware and prepped the board for next week, as I will probably take it to Brussels where my car is ofr now. If everything goes well as it was before the trigger bug, I will attempt the trip back from Belgium on rusEFI with my spare stock ECU in case it goes wrong.

I'm also getting further with the supercharger, I designed the bracket and pulley and still need to get the pulley and adapter machined.
If you know a good chinese CNC machinist who can produce cheap prototypes for my pulley it would be great.
I've choosen the intercooler and piping too and will buy all the parts pretty soon.

Keep you updated

Cheers

Gwendal
Abricos
contributor
contributor

Post by Abricos »

Check eBay
Screenshot_20190815-144730.jpg
Screenshot_20190815-144730.jpg (510.53 KiB) Viewed 21953 times
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Hi folks!

So I'm gonna stop polluting other threads for my personal interest :)

For my supercharger application I need two throttle bodies :

-1 in the stock location with the IAC attached to it, it will be the stock one
-1 before the supercharger to be able to put it under vacuum

So it will be : Air filter - TB n°1 - SC bypass exhaust - Supercharger - SC Bypass Intake - Intercooler - BOV - TB n°2 - Intake manifold

This is quite complex but needed for some reasons :
- Idle is difficult to tune with only the pre SC TB because of the huge throttled volume
- Noise is unbearable with only the intake manifold throttle body as the supercharger will spin and push air everytime even on partial throttle
- Bypass is needed for heat, SC longevity and noise reasons
- BOV is needed to deal with the long transient response of the bypass and avoid pressure wave on the intake manifold TB

So for the pre SC throttle body I choose a 7502444 unit for E46 20i and 25i (because it is dirt cheap, cheaper than a mechanical TB) with a diameter of 62mm. To drive this ETB I will be using a VNH2SP30 module from AliExpress driven by my Hi impedance outputs (as @russian suggested). The ETB position will be controlled by the stock TB sensor which will act as a command as well as the overall TB position for the Frankenso.
This will remove the need for a complex linkage prone to breaking and will eventually allow an easier idle tuning as well as a mean to get in boost gradually following the operation of the bypass valve (which is on/off and driven by TB vacuum).

Does anyone ever tried such thing and even if you didn't, what do you think of this system ?

Have a nice day

Gwendal
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Why is it difficult to control idle with a pre-SC TB? Every OEM supercharger install on the planet puts the throttle before the blower, and doesn't have problems with idle control.

What's wrong with putting the throttle before the SC, and running a normal vacuum-operated bypass valve in the supercharger?
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

I believe the unusual proposal is in order to reduce fabrication?

If one relocates cable-driven throttle, one needs a matching cable and matching throttle body for the cable.

If one adds ETB it's easier to fabricate? this case old throttle body at default location with default cable act mostly like as a sensor?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

@russian is right, by putting the throttle before the charger I need to source a dummy throttle body for the stock location (which costs more than twice the cost of the ETB install and is harder to uninstall for sleeperness when needed). Fabrication of a steel throttle body flange MIG welded to some 63mm tubing is quite easy too.
OEM systems are using small intercoolers and tubing because the supercharger is not pushed as hard as for afetermarket purposes. The SLK230K from which the SC comes from produces something like 193BHP, far from what is reachable by spinning it at 14k RPM.Some OEM uses SC directly on the intake manifold, with an A/W intercooler.
Due to the bigger intake tract I need, idle is difficult to manage wth only one TB because the engine is pulling vacuum inside the whole tubing and intercooler and it's harder to tune than just using a second throttle body.

The Pre SC works like that :
- When the intake manifold TB is closed for idle , the pre SC TB is slightly cracked open to let enough air pass.
- When cruising, i.e. partial throttle the pre SC opens at the same time as the IM TB. The bypass is open and thus no boost is pushed in the engine.
- At full throttle both are open and the bypass is closed.
- When the throttle is slammed shut for shifting, SC is still pushing air and bypass is quite long to open relative to the speed of the pressure wave. The air forced into the tubing and intercooler will hit the closed throttle and the backpressure created can foul the SC, producing belt slip and other bad things. That's why I use the BOV.

Gwendal
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Hi all!

So I may have been cursed by the god of soldering, I think I had one more issue with a cold joint on the trigger chain (the 100Ohm resistor before the MCP6004). I had like 0.2s of sync showing 127 RPM and the sniffer just picks random trigger events.
I measure a resistance ok like 10K instead of 100 Ohms, does a cold solder make that kind of thing ?
Does this cold solder cans be the reason my engine wasn't getting above 3000rpm last time because of trigger error ?

Thanks !

Gwendal
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Nevermind sorted the issue and now the car runs great.
I was able to start the car with a pretty cold engine (20°c) and after more than a day sitting. Obviously it was the solder joint that bothered me once again.

And because I know how much you love that, a small video of me rolling in the basement, so now I'm officially back ;)

https://youtu.be/FORCKVSEQiQ

Gwendal
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Good to see. Also good to hear you're resolving the cold solder issues on the kit.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Hi all!

So today I needed to go to the grocery store 500m away from my internship and decided to go daily with rusEFI 😅

So here is what happened :

- Car started and idled great
- Engine got to working temperature at a normal rate, indicating I wasn't running too rich or with weird settings
- I was definitely running too rich because I was able to smell unburned fuel when driving
- Was unable to get some pops and bangs 😢
I thought everything was okay until when I tried to roll my wondoi down on the way back, they had no power. My head unit was turning on and off and my abs light came on. My alternator wasn't charging my battery so I rushed home, had to stop because of the access control. Car was unable to start, reverted to stock ECU and drove the car down the parking slope to start it (successfully).
After running on idle and stock ECU for 30 min battery was back alive

I now need to check my solders on the alternator line 😆
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Crazy Striker wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:17 am
reverted to stock ECU and drove the car down the parking slope to start it (successfully).
Wow!!! That's an epic save!

Do you have your MIL/check engine light wired with rusEfi? Latest firmware actually blinks MIL on start to show that MIL is alive.

I think we want to add some FSIO for battery voltage low warning, would you be interested to be a beta tester of that? :)

Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Yeah sure, why not ! I wasn't paying attention to battery voltage but it seems I was at 10.2V when I started the car...

My engine light is wired but the glow was very weak, I think it's better now but not sure of the voltage/output mode configuration.

Would the fsio be able to flash check engine light ? I don't have all the components needed to add a new light for that purpose.

Gwendal
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Feel pretty stupid right now 😂😂
Attachments
IMG_20190831_161702.jpg
IMG_20190831_161702.jpg (5.52 MiB) Viewed 21819 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Crazy Striker wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:17 pm
Feel pretty stupid right now 😂😂
It's the minor boring details that bite us :)

Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Do you know the config for nb2 Miata alternator control ?
It was activated with presets before firmware update but now I'm not so sure of it
And for the check engine light ?

I might need to setup a fsio for an exhaust cutout when I eventually find a welder able to add it to my stainless midpipe or exhaust. Found pretty neat ones using electronic control, either directly using a low ohm output and pwm or through a controller using hi ohm output. Should work the same as an ETB but much simpler

Gwendal
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Code: Select all

engineConfiguration->targetVBatt = 13.8;
	engineConfiguration->alternatorControl.offset = 40;
	engineConfiguration->alternatorControl.pFactor = 14;
	engineConfiguration->alternatorControl.iFactor = 0.1;
	engineConfiguration->alternatorControl.dFactor = 0;
	engineConfiguration->alternatorControl.periodMs = 10;
the values from NB2 preset is what I used.

"Do you know the config for nb2 Miata alternator control?" is a bit vague to be honest. I am not 100% sure what you are asking for. Wiring help? PID settings? Finding the right dialog?

Config for check engine? Wiring?

Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Thanks

Nope it was the software configuration. Alternator control was working flawlessly before resetting the board and updating firmware, wiring is ok, so you answered my question perfectly.

For check engine it's the pin mode in tunerstudio and the voltage jumper to select on the high ohm stage.

Gwendal