Hello from Wisconsin

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
badbeardbeast

Hello from Wisconsin

Post by badbeardbeast »

Hey all!

What brought me here, was the need for a standalone ecu. Well more like shopping around for a standalone for myself and my friend.
I've been reading through the forums for a few days and I have a few questions;

First, how well has tuning worked with rusefi from adding a turbo to a vehicle that originally was N/A?

Second, has the GM MAP sensor been able to be implemented yet? My friend and I would like to get rid of our terrible stock MAF sensors.

Third, has any sort of launch control been able to be implemented yet as well?

Lastly, has there been any sort of turbo timer introduced into the programming yet?

Anyway thanks for having me here, and I look forward to hopefully contributing what i can to this!
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Post by AndreyB »

Personally I do not have force induction vehicles so cannot comment on "how well" - I know a few users have turbos but you would have to look at build threads.

GM MAP is what 75% of the users use. Yes it's supported.

No launch control in official firmware. There were multiple unfinished attempts see https://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=871&p=34083#p33593

I am not aware of any turbo timer.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
badbeardbeast

Post by badbeardbeast »

Awesome to hear for the MAP.

As for adding a turbo, hopefully the tuning side will be easier than the build side on a festiva with it's stock B3.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Can you detail turbo timer? I think you mean when key off, engine remains at idle for blah long then turns off. Is that what you intended? Or did you perhaps mean something different?
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

badbeardbeast wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:57 pm
First, how well has tuning worked with rusefi from adding a turbo to a vehicle that originally was N/A?
A few of us now have run NA and turbo on the same engine with rusEfi. I've done it on my two Volvos (one NA, one turbo), and a friend of mine did it on his NB Miata. Ultimately tuning with a turbo isn't actually very different - you just have a wider range of manifold pressure than you do on a naturally aspirated engine. I put around 5000 rusEfi miles on my turbo Volvo, and even got high-20s mileage a few times.
badbeardbeast wrote:
Second, has the GM MAP sensor been able to be implemented yet? My friend and I would like to get rid of our terrible stock MAF sensors.
Yep! We support any analog MAP sensor, which includes (nearly) every MAP sensor ever made. The two most popular sensors in use with rusEfi are GM sensors, and the MPX4250, mostly because that one is the one found on a Megasquirt.
badbeardbeast wrote:
Lastly, has there been any sort of turbo timer introduced into the programming yet?
A turbo timer will require support external to the ECU. For example, in my Volvo, the ignition switch directly powers the ignition coils, so if you pull the key out, there's nothing the ECU can do to keep the engine alive. Besides, turbo timers aren't super necessary with water cooled turbos.
badbeardbeast

Post by badbeardbeast »

kb1gtt wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:13 am
Can you detail turbo timer? I think you mean when key off, engine remains at idle for blah long then turns off. Is that what you intended? Or did you perhaps mean something different?
Yes this is what I meant. Although it is not that important. Just something I was curious about.

Otherwise thank you all! These answered my questions greatly, and I'm pretty sure rusefi will be what I will go with on my car!
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I would think a timer could be fairly easily added with an external off delay relay timer. Basically instead of the key operating a normal relay, change that relay for an off delay timer relay. Then when you turn off the key, it keeps the engine running for a set time. If you need an emergency kill switch, you can wire your normal emergency kill switch in series with this. Then if that is activated, it kills power to everything including this off delay timer. Some potential candidates are below.

https://octopart.com/38.21.0.012.0060-finder-8729450?r=sp&s=9PF9znoNQIGL_Zxi2CLcdA

https://www.amazon.com/Qianson-Digital-Display-Infinite-Switch/dp/B01LVXEU3M?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01LVXEU3M
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)