1984 Toyota Celica GT 12A ROTARY SWAP ~ MicroRusEFI

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Sam

1984 Toyota Celica GT 12A ROTARY SWAP ~ MicroRusEFI

Post by Sam »

Hello. I have started this thread to showcase and discuss my project, which will utilize microRusEFI.

Doing a 12A swap in my 1984 Celica GT.

Thank you all.Image

Last edited by Sam on Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: 1984 Toyota Celica GT Liftback 2.4L 22RE ~ MicroRusEFI

Post by kb1gtt »

sounds like a sweet project. I would suggest making a schematic for the vehicle. Paper and pencil works fine. It would help us comment if you have something that shows how you plan to wire it. We could comment if we see problems, etc.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

Sounds like a solid plan! Sounds like more or less the order of modifications on my Volvo, which I was super happy with (until I v8 swapped it, then I was extremely happy :D )
Sam wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:13 am
Knock sensor (does microRusEFI support this?)
It doesn't, no, at least not in the current revision. That said we may be able to pull some tricks and get it working on existing hardware. This is an area of active development.
Sam wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:13 am
But as far as RusEFI goes, I must begin planning for the entire setup, since I want to make my own harness. I need to gather everything I need. Any input would be helpful, I get a lot of inspiration from sloppy mechanics, so if you wonder where I'm getting some of the ideas, like using LS coils, that's why. Thank you all.
My race car runs a scratch-built harness with LS coils and microRusefi, so that combination should work great!
Sam

Post by Sam »

Got a Supra short shifter, 18oz weighted shift knob, and solid metal shift bushing installed. Solid and robust.ImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sam

Post by Sam »

So I've procured 4x LS2/LS3/LS7/LS9/LSA Ignition Coils with harness. They'll be mounted on the firewall. Here's the wiring for the included harness, an 8 way metri-pack 150 (right side):
ezgif-7-5548268721ca.jpg
ezgif-7-5548268721ca.jpg (81.55 KiB) Viewed 18322 times
5 volt logic input straight from ecu. I'm just going to go wasted spark for now and just add wiring for the future cam sensor that I'm going to use the distributor to make. I can do wasted spark while still wiring the coils for future sequential use, right?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Yes, two wire wasted
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Sam

Post by Sam »

i mean, like, I can physically wire the four individual coils to microrusefi and set them as wasted spark in software, right?
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Yes, that's called "two wire" feature/setting in software
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

That's the exact setup I run on my racecar, down to the coils. Four LS coils, each with its own wire to the ECU, but running wasted.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Yeah, my plan is to wire for the future cam sensor but deal with that later on down the road. I also got 2 awg full copper 650 strand welding wire, copper crimp lugs, marine heatshrink, and I'm about to redo most of the main +12V and ground feeds. Got 8 lifepo4 cells, which I'm making into a lightweight 6.4lb 16ah racing battery capable of 400A continuous. Using 2x15mm copper busbars to join together. I'm planning on hiding this inside the dash, with through feed-thru firewall terminals.

Sam

Post by Sam »

Does microRusEFI support multiple injector banks, if I were to use batch injection?

AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

for microRusEfi it's recommended to always use "two wires" batch mode to get output pins working in pairs. you would have these four wires either wired to individual injectors or connected together in pairs while driving pairs of injectors.

Sam

Post by Sam »

I'm eyeing a 12a rotary engine and transmission locally and wondering if I could have multiple injector banks so I could have a large amount of fueling for cheap.

AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

microRusEfi is really just a 4 injector ECU.

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 12A motor has 2 rotors, and you desire to have 4 injectors. You hope that the injectors can be staged. AKA at low HP, you use only one injector per cyl, but then at high HP you use 2 injectors per cyl. Is that what you are asking?
Sam

Post by Sam »

kb1gtt wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 12A motor has 2 rotors, and you desire to have 4 injectors. You hope that the injectors can be staged. AKA at low HP, you use only one injector per cyl, but then at high HP you use 2 injectors per cyl. Is that what you are asking?
Well, yeah, whatever, I know microRusEFI has 4 injector outputs so I figured they could be reconfigured into doing staged injection, up to 4 banks (assuming I were to use external drivers). So yeah, something like that. Would allow me to use cheap injectors from the junkyard.

AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

I think I am confused. I am failing to understand the question thus I am not providing a good answer.

You assume I know everything about cars, tuning and life. I know very little. When you put "microRusEfi" into the question I assume hardware question. I am now starting think that this is a software question related to fueling sequence.

All different rusEfi hardware run the same rusEfi firmware. rusEfi firmware does not have staged injection at the moment.

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

MRE has 4 individual injector drivers. We expect the driver chip can drive one highZ injector per output, at 1 amp of current. It is unknown if you could batch them consuming 2A for 2 injector driven by the same output. We expect it would go into thermal overload and shut down when ambient is hot, you are running high rev's, etc. However I understand your question is more about what can be done with the software. I expect you are planning for one injector for one injector output, and 4 injectors is sufficient for your needs. I think instead of "bank" you should use cylinder and staging.

For Andrey, what are the options for staging? It's common that applications will use a small injector that basically handles idle and low load, and is small. Then they use a higher flowing injector for WOT situations. Both injectors are typically located in the same port, for the same cyl. Does rusEFI have staging options yet? It's common that you do something like if over ABC load, then turn on 2nd injector by XYZ %.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

kb1gtt wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:17 pm
Does rusEFI have staging options yet?
rusEfi firmware does not have staged injection at the moment.

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I understand the lack of this feature is just a software effort. It can exist, but software folks have not bumped it up in priority for a variety of reasons. I suspect this would answer Sam's question.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Got the 12A and transmission today complete with all accessories.Image

Sam

Post by Sam »

Ordered crank angle sensor from 86-91 rx7 to replace the distributor with.

Sam

Re: 1984 Toyota Celica GT 12A ROTARY SWAP ~ MicroRusEFI

Post by Sam »

Hello. I've been busy buying components for this 12A. So far, here's what I'm working with:

4 LS3 coils (7 wire harness)
2 160lb 1700cc Bosch injectors, high impedance
BMW E36 TPS (3 wire)
FC RX7 13B Crank Angle Sensor (4 wire)
GM external mounted 3 bar MAP (3 wire)
FD RX7 13B water pump housing/sensors/pump
2x 45mm Weber style throttle bodies
Downdraft IDA style intake manifold
Long tube header

RusEFI supports the strange timing of rotaries, correct? Trailing plugs are 10-15° after leading plugs. Each rotor has 3 combustion cycles per rotation.

mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Sam wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:03 pm
RusEFI supports the strange timing of rotaries, correct? Trailing plugs are 10-15° after leading plugs.
Not currently, no. Though you may actually be able to hack it by configuring it as a 2 stroke 4 cylinder, with an 85 degree offset on two cylinders.
Sam wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:03 pm
Each rotor has 3 combustion cycles per rotation.
Not quite-there are 3 cycles per rotation of the dorito, but because of the way the eccentric shaft and gearing work, there's one power pulse per rotor per revolution. A 2 rotor comes out the same as a 2 cylinder 2 stroke, or a 4 cylinder 4 stroke, with one power pulse every 180 degrees of flywheel rotation.
STURX8

Post by STURX8 »

If you're interested in continuing doing the stuff for the Rotary I do race an RX-8 in scca I do have the time to test any codes changes and maybe have few in puts
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

STURX8 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:04 am
If you're interested in continuing doing the stuff for the Rotary I do race an RX-8 in scca I do have the time to test any codes changes and maybe have few in puts
Would be best to start a new thread :)

STURX8

Post by STURX8 »

I'm sorry I'm new to this