W202 C180 with MRE 0.3

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
md_sanci
Github Username: shadowm60
Slack: Alex M

W202 C180 with MRE 0.3

Post by md_sanci »

Hello all,

So i just wanted to add that a new car is running on RusEFI.

This is a daily driver, so i have to make it as good as possible for the road.

About the car:
w202 C180 from 1999 -> this generation is already with CAN, si i will have to reverse the can matrix and inject messages as the original ECU would do.

- Fan control is done by SAM module, so the CAN message with temperature of the engine is used here.
- ETB - woring fine with MRE, i still have to tweak it, but it is moving ok.
- OEM MAF senzor.
- OEM injectors and FP.
- VW could tower since original coils would need drivers.

Open points:
- CAN message/signal for crancking, ecu should do the crancking :))
- add MAP sensor
- tune the engine
- VVT

Currently m111.921 engine is used, next steps would be m111.961.

Thank you all who helped me with this!
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: W202 C180 with MRE 0.3

Post by AndreyB »

Tune? Pics? Videos? ;)

Glad you have success!
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
md_sanci

Post by md_sanci »

Now it is time to give more information on this build.

I have started with a standard w202 c180 wagon from 1999.

What do we have on a standard car and what is missing:
- Fuel injector - i used the OEM ones, for NA application is fair. it is 197cc injectors.
- Ignition - From the factory this engine runs wasted spark. The OEM coils need external igniter to work so i switched to a VW wasted spark coil setup.
- MAF/IAT - This is standard on this car (the ones with ME2.1) and i only used the IAT part, the MAF is wired in as well, but i do not use it.
- Cranck sensor: this is a simple VR sensor, the wheel is 60/2 and it is located on the flywheel. (Note: for rusEFI we need VW 60/2 setting)
- CAM - Cam is a single pulse at every 720 cranck rotation, this is good, since i use it for phase detection, this way i can run sequential mode. For more details i have the tune on REO, check my signature.
- Throttle body. This engine is controlled by an ETB. This can be controlled by MRE, so this was ok, only note that i would say is that if M+ and M- are inverted, the car runs wierd.
- Pedal Position Sensor: since car is controlled by an ETB, there is a PPS on it, this will also use up two analog inputs!
- FAN control. Now here it was a bit tricky, on these cars fan is controlled by SAM module if i know correctly, this ECU would require a PWM signal to know that engine controller is alive, and a different duty on this pwm would turn on the fan. In case this signal is not there, it would start up in failsafe mode and FAN would be on full speed!
- EVAP - i kept the EVAP setup and used a simple FSIO expression to control this: i think i would explain it later.
- Starter. Now this i have done the simple way, originally the car receives a CAN message from the key control module, that would signal that key is accepted, and crancking is requested. I did not wanted to spend too much time so i placed a button for this. Note that in case you place only a button there, you could cranck the car even if the ignition is not on! (solution: use a LS from ecu in series with the switch, LS should be active while RPM < 800 rpm, this way the button would work only if ecu is alive, it would come alive only if you have the key in KL15 position!)
- Oil pressure: this is missing from the car, i has only an oil level switch and i do not use it yet.
- O2: from the factory this car is delivered with a heated NB, so this went out and a WBO was installed.

New sensor that was installed, is a MAP sensor from a diesel MB car so i could run Speed Density.

Some pictures attached:
Attachments
IMG_20200815_134504.jpg
IMG_20200815_134504.jpg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 7603 times
IMG_20200711_205547.jpg
IMG_20200711_205547.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 7603 times
md_sanci

Post by md_sanci »

After the car started up and working acceptable, i wanted to keep close to the factory harness, so i took the OEM ecu apart and reused the car connector. This made almost a plug and play adapter.

While i found a few schematic about w202 wiring diagrams, i started to map everything in a spreadsheet, so here it is:
Since i did not wanted to add external igniters only to keep OEM coils, i added an extra DB25 connector to add the following signals:
- ignitions (1..4)
- MAP (signal and power)
- WBO signal to avoid cutting into the OEM harness.

It is a good idea to gather all the data and map it, this would make life simpler later when extensions would be planned for the car.
Attachments
w202_ECU.ods
(16.66 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
IMG_20200806_220900 (1).jpg
IMG_20200806_220900 (1).jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 7603 times
IMG_20200806_221435 (1).jpg
IMG_20200806_221435 (1).jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 7603 times
md_sanci

Post by md_sanci »

After some more work of setting up everything and testing i managed to make the car start up nicely and idle. It drives much more nicer then on OEM ecu, and since VE tables is more stable, the overall consumption is way better.

Now running with Coil on Plug since i managed to fry the VW coils, it was of user error! so don't play around with pin logic if cars run fine, i inverted it and that way i was running waaaay too much DWEL time and the coil driver just gave up :)

Also updated WBO from SLC2Free to Innovate Motorsport, i wanted the AEM x series, but it was not available and did not wanted to wait for it.
Attachments
IMG_20201216_172344.jpg
IMG_20201216_172344.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 7603 times
IMG_20201007_200618_3.jpg
IMG_20201007_200618_3.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 7603 times
md_sanci

Post by md_sanci »

Can integration for W202.
Main problem is that the Dash from this car gathers data about car status from can bus. Since this car is from '99 the can massages are simple to decode so rusEFI extended the can dash support. This way Coolant temperature, RPM, and other "constant" values are sent out so the dash is usable and no errors are displayed while driving.

Another feature that is available now to read out vehicle speed from can bus and store it on ECU as well, this way vehicle speed information is available on the logs and even launch control can be used without any modification on the car (no need for extra switched on the clutch or dedicated launch control switch). This function would be disabled if vehicle speed is above threshold.
md_sanci

Post by md_sanci »

Link to all the tunes that i have uploaded till now: =-1&sorts[uploadedLog]=-1]here
md_sanci

Post by md_sanci »

What about VVT?

The M111 engine has a solenoid on the intake cam that could control the angle of the cams, to control this is simple, i have found that from 2000rpm till 5000rpm by energizing the solenoid would make the VVT work correctly.

Now this is simple to do with rusEFI by using FSIO. The formula is simple:

rpm 2000 > rpm 4500 < & 1 0 if

Note this is RPN and the human readable form would be: if (rpm > 2000 & rpm < 4500) then 1 else 0.
& is logical AND
1 - means output active
0 - output inactive.

And if i am at this point, i would share the logic of controlling EVAP solenoid as well. After some research and testing this is the best way i found to control it, not if you open EVAP solenoid all the time you're AFR would be affacted!

FSIO formula: map 40 < rpm 2000 > coolant 70 > & & 1 0 if
Basically when coolant is above 70 degrees, rpm is over 2000 and map less then 40, we activate this, simpler way to say it, when engine is warm and you decelerate, you can use the gases that are inside the reservoir and feed it into the engine. If you do this in any other situation you would feed false air to the engine, and not only air, it contains petrol vapors that would affect AFR.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Great stuff thank you for wring all this up! I hope that this mercedes connector would be rusEFI next PnP board.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

md_sanci wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:30 pm
What about VVT?

The M111 engine has a solenoid on the intake cam that could control the angle of the cams, to control this is simple, i have found that from 2000rpm till 5000rpm by energizing the solenoid would make the VVT work correctly.

uhh, is that true? I'm pretty sure it does continuous VVT, which you want, instead of just slamming it from one stop to the other.
md_sanci

Post by md_sanci »

mck1117 wrote:
md_sanci wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:30 pm
What about VVT?

uhh, is that true? I'm pretty sure it does continuous VVT, which you want, instead of just slamming it from one stop to the other.
That is what i found. I did not measured original ecu output. So what o did is from searching the web. Btw since my cam sensor is working i could not see a real gain in angle. I suspect my chain is too old but it might be that i have problems with the hydralic parts as well. Since i plan a 2.2 engine swap is not a focus right now...

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk