Sparkle Green Supercharged 05 Miata

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
NBytevenom

Sparkle Green Supercharged 05 Miata

Post by NBytevenom »

Second time running RusEFI. First time was a Frankenso with a 2000 Miata.

Excited to be running the new PnP unit! Car is currently running a MS3Pro PnP. Car is being used for autocross. It’s getting an M45 supercharger from a Mini Cooper.

There’s a decent amount of wiring IO I’ve done. I removed all the emissions crap on the passenger side of the engine bay. I used the wires there for adding in another IAT, oil temp and relocated the stock IAT.
Luckily there was a 5V there that was used for the stock MAP sensor, I used that as a pull-up for the two thermistors I added.
532826D7-15C1-4188-B473-DC5C2CBED737.jpeg
532826D7-15C1-4188-B473-DC5C2CBED737.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6139 times
99757E4F-0FD9-4AED-82AC-FE8175B96F15.jpeg
99757E4F-0FD9-4AED-82AC-FE8175B96F15.jpeg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 6139 times
EE6932D8-A418-4876-9D98-F83B214A5A8A.jpeg
EE6932D8-A418-4876-9D98-F83B214A5A8A.jpeg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 6139 times
NBytevenom

Re: Sparkle Green Supercharged 05 Miata

Post by NBytevenom »

I want to ensure that I can keep some IO that my current ECU can do.

I have the additional IAT, and oil temp. But also a switch to trigger on SD logging, and an output to drive an LED that indicates whether or not SD logging is active.

I guess that’s asking for 2 more analogs, 1 digital in, and 1 low/high side.

Also my NB2 uses an NB1 intake manifold, so I need a low side for VICS.
NBytevenom

Post by NBytevenom »

Feature request.

Currently my MS3Pro has SD logging. It can be enabled by a software condition (rpm > 2000), always, or a hardware input.

The way I have it set up, I have a switch between the ecu and ground. When it is pushed it toggles SD logging.

In addition, I have an indicator light that’s driven by a high-side output from the MS whenever SD logging is running.

This makes it easy to log power runs, rather than making one huge log where I have to search for things.
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Post by stefanst »

Nice setup. Do you have any VD pulls? There's a guy near me who keeps supercharging NA Miatas (and subsequently blowing them up) and the torque curves he gets are just hilarious.
NBytevenom

Post by NBytevenom »

stefanst wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:07 am
Nice setup. Do you have any VD pulls? There's a guy near me who keeps supercharging NA Miatas (and subsequently blowing them up) and the torque curves he gets are just hilarious.
I appreciate the fact that you think it’s running!
Unfortunately it’s still a couple days from completion. Still needs a few things here and there. Then a few days of me finding out some serious design flaws in my DIY.

But after all that, sure!
NBytevenom

Post by NBytevenom »

Maybe someone can chime in here that has done this.

Faux dual TBs. I’m going to have a “dummy” TB with no butterfly on the IM. The TB with the butterfly will be pre supercharger. The pre supercharger TB will also have the idle valve. From what I’m reading, the idle issues can be tuned out.

However, the throttle cable is messing me up. The stock pulley has 2 holes, one for pulling the throttle open, and one to pull it closed. Conveniently the throttle cable bracket also has a second hole above it. My plan was to get another cable made to run off the secondary hole on the IM TB, to the primary hole on the pre supercharger TB.
Any reason why this shouldn’t work?
NBytevenom

Post by NBytevenom »

Looking at the boost level, I must be leaking, or slipping my belt. Feels good though.
Dual TBs ended up being the answer.
Attachments
VDM45.jpg
VDM45.jpg (113.2 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
NBytevenom

Post by NBytevenom »

Before I threw the Board in my car. I wanted to double check the wiki, as I have a few mods on my car.
I need to control/monitor the following things.
VICS solenoid - requires a lowside driver capable of driving a solenoid.
Oil temp- NTC
IAT 2 - NTC: Used for monitoring Intercooler efficiency. Purely for fun.

The two NTCs are "nice to haves". I made a spreadsheet based off the Wiki for the I/O in the NB2 MRE adapter board. I noticed a couple things missing/mislabeled and fixed them. I cross checked with the NB2 (05) Wiring diagram as well.

The spare pins available seem to only be analog inputs or ignition inputs. This is fine for my NTC setup. I'll set them up internally with a pullup to 5V.
I'm guessing the pins for ETB could not be used for driving the solenoid. How would I "invert" the spare ignition I/O for driving the VICS?
It's a simple on/off. No PWM required. Could the current circuitry could drive the solenoid high-side?

edit
I see the 4x aux driver on the bottom of the wiki page.
Looks like PB8 that goes to J3 is the an available low-side. The VTCS solenoid (stock on NB2) wiring can be used to drive the NB1 Intake manifold's VICS solenoid. If I just hook up J3 to W4J, I'll have the IO needed.
+ Wiki was updated with aux driver info.