[Success Story] Cherokee 2JZ VVTI Running Good!!!

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
porelmundo
contributor
contributor

Cherokee 2JZ VVTI Running Good!!!

Post by porelmundo »

I want it to share with you all guys this 2 videos, my success running my sand drag Cherokee 2JZ on rusEFI.
All is running good but not with a lot of difficulties and research, try and keep trying.
The specs are the follow: 9" rear end fully build, Dana 44 front, TH400 with NP-218 transfercase with transbrake.
Engine is a stock engine block, with custom intake manifold and it still twin turbos but with replaced turbo side impellers (CT-27 inconel) and
bigger compressors wheel (from GT-28R).
There is a ton of mods to list in here but the good part is how rusEFI is performing as planed.
The Turbo sequence is a good one, actually the front turbo is the only running at all time but i have to by pass some gasses to pre spool the second one
before ECU open the exhaust valve on the second turbo to join the stream with the first one. After the second turbo match first boost pressure ECU opens the second turbo flow valve and bypass the reed valve, everything sound complicate but it is in practice very easy to do.

After the dino section, we try some run's on the sand but because of altitude we had to tune a little more.
we had some issues with overboost and makes the igniter to cut a little bit nothing related to the tune or ECU, im using a OEM igniter and it's know that they brake at 2 bars. Also some small issues with the VVTI that I will talk more on another post.
Also the launch is a little slow because I'm unable to raise boost before launch cos no two step and boom box.

Thank you all for reading.
Attachments
2020-09-02-13h11m17s-IMG_2800.mov-.mp4
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 298 times
IMG_2784.mp4
(3.65 MiB) Downloaded 285 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Cherokee 2JZ VVTI Running Good!!!

Post by AndreyB »

Thank you for the videos and tunes on rusEFI online!!!

Can you make any cool logs matching those tunes? The website would automatically match tunes to logs.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

Most excellent! How did you configure the ecu to handle the the turbo crossover valve?
neongreen

Post by neongreen »

Well, how much power are you making??
1962 Ford Falcon 5.0L V8 / T5
porelmundo
contributor
contributor

Post by porelmundo »

mck1117 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:49 am
Most excellent! How did you configure the ecu to handle the the turbo crossover valve?
Well on the standard Aristo engine, there is no pressure sensor cross turbo 1 and 2 but that's why you do pre spool on 2 with a bypass valve before its hit 3,800 RPM at where you start open the turbo 2 exhaust valve, boost created by turbo 2 pass trough a reed valve and join the stream until exhaust valve is fully open and then around 4100 rpm bypass the reed valve with another vsv. I will update my tune file so you can see how i manage the boost.
I do exactly the same as the factory ECU, the result is that turbo 1 get up to 9 PSI before second join. the effect its smooth except for the engine tone that change drastically. All VSV are controlled by generic PWM outputs. I will come back with some log's
porelmundo
contributor
contributor

Post by porelmundo »

neongreen wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:49 pm
Well, how much power are you making??
Doing 500hp on factory internals.
Irie-vibes

Post by Irie-vibes »

Excellent work.
Is there a build page, some where i could read.
Your setup is very interesting
Colderopr

Post by Colderopr »

PR en la casa! 🇵🇷
2003 Subaru Impreza
2000 Mazda Protegé