Hello from Paris - Porsche 944 S2 (3.0L I4)

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
sillog

Hello from Paris - Porsche 944 S2 (3.0L I4)

Post by sillog »

Bonjour de Paris !

My name is Morgan, I'm currently rebuilding an old Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet that was sitting in my garage for a very long time. The engine is actually out of the car for a full rebuild with some modifications.

The plan is as follow :

- better cams
- bigger exhaust valves
- higher revlimit (seats, valves and springs are modified whith this in mind)
- some work done on the intake and exhaust ports
- forged and balanced internal components
- tuned exhaust
- get rid of all those electro-mechanical sensory stuff presents in my engine bay

With all of this, I wanted to take advantage of all the modern engine management made available by a project like RusEFI. So I will use modern injectors, with sequential injection, individual coil on plug, drive by wire (with an e-gas pedal sensor coming from a modern Porsche and an Audi RS6 throttle body).

I was asked if I intended to retain the 55-pin motronic connector in my build. It was one of my question at the begining of the project, when at that moment I was tempted by a VEMS plug-and-play ECU, but the recent evolutions and the use of a MicroRusEFI ECU does not make it necessar.

At the moment, most of the project is waiting for some parts coming back from the workshop doing the mods on the cylinder head and the intake manifold (the COVID pandemic as slowed down my planing). I expect to take some significant steps in this project during the next christmas holidays.

AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Hello from Paris - Porsche 944 S2 (3.0L I4)

Post by AndreyB »

Hello and welcome! Looking forward some progress :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
dexter_lab

Post by dexter_lab »

Very nice car. Manual transmission?

Just everybody else to be jealous this must be very rare car. According wikipedia

944 S2 Cabriolet
In 1989 only 16 concept prototype 944 S2 Cabriolets were manufactured making it one of the rarest Porsche cars ever produced.
sillog

Post by sillog »

5sp manual gearbox. I'm not sure if it ever came with the automatic transmission.

Regarding the production numbers, there was a few more the following years and the grand total of produced cars is more likely a little over 5500 units. Its stays a rather uncommon car but not a unicorn.