[rusEfi] 89 Nissan 1JZ-GTE non-VVTi with MicroRusEFI

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Gepro

89 Nissan 1JZ-GTE non-VVTi with MicroRusEFI

Post by Gepro »

Hello,

I want to motivate myself to share more of my build, maybe it can help.

I am actually a megasquirt user but I recently ordered a MicroRusEFI in order to replace it. I feel like a kids that wait santa claus. :D :D

By the past, I bought an used MS3X for a good price, it wasn't used a lot but the CPU is fucked, It works only with the firmware it had during almost 7 years in my possession, in a box...
With recent firmware, I have a reboot every 64sec, without any reasons. I do a lot of research about the VR conditioner and change it for a speeduino unit, with MAX9926. I inspect it with a picoscope and the signal is really clear and perfect, I just had to add inline 10K resistor on the cam. But... the problem wasn't here... I had to keep the original firmware. I think that some parts of the ROM can't be overwritten, but I am not a engineer, and I don't want to pay that much for a MS3 daughterboard, I just don't understand the price in 2020.
After that, the alternator died, the voltage was unstable, and I discover that my megasquirt is shitty for the battery voltage detection.

Actually I feel too much negative vibes from my megasquirt. And the firmware who I am stuck with, don't allow a lot of things, compared to last one. It's frustating, because I know my megasquirt will never have it. So, instead of buying a speeduino for my volvo, I will put the megasquirt in it.

I am really interested by speeduino, but I find them a little too cheap for my build. The teensy variants looks great, but in developement, and they don't have enough feedback right now. Maybe I will go for a drop bear later, I don't know. I don't really sure about Teensy in automotive.

For me, the STM32 is the way to go, and... after some searchs I fall in love of the MicroRusEFI.
I know it isn't adapted for 6 cylinders, but I will try, I have a CA18 for it, if it doesn't work.

So.. why do I fall in love ?
- it's tiny, I really like it
- the plug looks great, there is only one plug, and it looks strong, same thing for the "bosch" case.
- there is tons of input / output, and they are fullly customisable, Tuner Studio looks complicated compared to a megasquirt, but I enjoy it.
- it looks strong and simple, there isn't 3 boards like in my MS3X. And components looks of good quality
- rusefi online looks great, there isn't some "secrets" tunes. Something that I hate. I know that I can't use others tunes, but I always like to take a look to compare.
- the community looks great and active
- the rusEFI looks really open source, not like megasquirt.

And what I dislike : (because there is)
- no launch control/flatshift, and more precisely, "Speed-based Launch Control" but I think it's on the way
- no customisable input/ouput on the connector, with the MS3 board, there is some unpopulated pins that can be soldered to another unused input or output. I appreciate it.
- knock control with external controller
- OUT7 of the TLE8888 is unused :evil: I wish to receive an 0.5.0 board to easily use it, but I don't think so, it's 0.4.8

For information, I am planning to use the MicroRusEFI in full sequential for my COILS. I take a look at the 2 aditionnal logic level, and if J2 is on 5V, they are strictly identical to the 4 others.
I will certainly loose a tacho out, like my dash is in 12V, but I can use the return of my "smart" coils.

For the injection, I will go to batched injection by using 3 outputs. They are given for 2.2A, but support 4A in overcurrent, I don't know how and how long, but I don't think to be concern. My injectors are given for 13,7Ohms and I will not go over 85% of duty cycle, that the common limit for injectors. For me, it's safe.

I have done 2 movies of my car with MS3X, here it is :
Cold start :

Revving :

Actually :
- stock 1JZ-GTE without VVTi
- Holset HX-35 with BEP housing and external wastegate (0.5 bars and spring controlled for now)
- R154 gearbox from my old supra.
- returnless fuel line, with 4 bars filter from Volkswagen ( 15$ )
- The dash is from R33 GTST, with oil pressure information. (180km/h max speed, the japan touch <3 )
- AEM wideband
- lilknockmeter, a little knock module with LED where I can plug earphone

TODO :
- MicroRusEFI <3 <3 <3
- intercooler (it's direct piping for now)
- bigger fuel pump, E85 compliant
- bigger injectors
- oil cooler

I will try to give a lot of returns. I am a little lazy :twisted: :twisted:

Sincerely,
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: 89 Nissan 1JZ-GTE non-VVTi with MicroRusEFI

Post by AndreyB »

I am a bit distracted until Saturday, I hope to ship on Monday-ish.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

Ho no !! That's an eternity :D :D

Yes, I know, you say not before 24 November for the delivery. But with the lockdown, I think that will be after :cry: :cry: I wish it will be before christmas !
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

Here is an update of my build !
Wiring.jpg
Wiring.jpg (213.08 KiB) Viewed 14156 times
I installed an external VR conditioner, (in the DB37 connector) a MAX9926 board, but the 85ms watchdog is a real problem with my one cam tooth. I plan to connect the cam signal in the TLE, and leave crank with MAX. (I don't have missing tooth on the crank wheel.)

For now, the engine starts randomly, there is too much noise when cranking, but once started, it looks fine.

Here is a movie from autotune on a raspberry:

PS : I clearly recommend pigtails :D :D
Connector.jpg
Connector.jpg (241.32 KiB) Viewed 14156 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

So has it started on rusEFI or only MX3X? Any rusEFI videos? :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

AndreyB wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:30 am
So has it started on rusEFI or only MX3X? Any rusEFI videos? :)
that youtube link of autotune is rusEfi
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

Yes ! It is the MRE with full sequential COP and batch injectors.

Here is a movie with 4 cylinders and bad timing :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBbBBNl_w3E

I had trouble to find the good settings for triggers, but timing is now fine :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcvOfL_A5Ws
(the strobe light is set to 15° )

There is also some logs on rusefi Online.

Actually, the problem is that I have no more alternator, and a dead battery. I am waiting hoses for power steering :( (I have a new battery but I don't want to put acid in for now)
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

After a lot of research I finally realise that the 2JZ pattern from rusefi is completely fucked.

With a friend, we take the signals from cam output and from ignition of cylinder 1 with an osciloscope. We realise that it is completely random. That why I had 1 chance on 12 to start.

I try the Honda 1+24 pattern, it is the same pattern, with 1 tooth cam and 12 crank teeth without missing and it is perfectly fine. And... the ignition output is perfectly sync.

For information, I had to set -7° in order to align the end of dwell to the start of cam signal. And 8° for good ignition timing.

Here is a picture of the tune :
Honda pattern.jpg
Honda pattern.jpg (126.22 KiB) Viewed 14001 times
Primary is cam and Secondary is crank. (the two signals come from a MAX9926 board with some resistors added for the cam)

(I haven't captures from the picoscope, it wasn't my computer but I can ask for it)
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Gepro wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:31 pm
After a lot of research I finally realise that the 2JZ pattern from rusefi is completely fucked.

With a friend, we take the signals from cam output and from ignition of cylinder 1 with an osciloscope. We realise that it is completely random. That why I had 1 chance on 12 to start.

I try the Honda 1+24 pattern, it is the same pattern, with 1 tooth cam and 12 crank teeth without missing and it is perfectly fine. And... the ignition output is perfectly sync.
can you share a trigger log from the rusEfi console of the car idling?
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Need more info :) There are two 2JZ patterns in rusEFI I am not sure which one seems unhappy?

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/wiki/All-Supported-Triggers

Gepro

Post by Gepro »

The problem is with 2JZ_1_12, the pattern for 1JZ and 2JZ without vvti. It is 12 teeth crank and 1 tooth cam.

The only thread that I found with this pattern is a russian post and translation isn't fine.

Here is a video of a coldstart, without tune, without idle and without throttle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcFqwMtvOhs&feature=youtu.be

with the logs from the video.

I updated my rusefi online, but I can't upload the logs, I have "The text log format is currently not supported!"

Thanks,
Attachments
rusEFI_trigger_log_2021-01-18_17_39_04_448.csv
(76.42 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
rusEFI_trigger_log_2021-01-18_17_39_04_444.logicdata
(19.47 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
rusEFI_gauges_2021-01-18_17_39_04_218.msl
(308.64 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
MAIN_rfi_report_2021-01-18_17_38_39_052.csv
(302.3 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Looks like we have a lot of errors with rusEFI console logs :( Looks like I am unable to open both .logicdata and composite log file, overall I am unable to open any trigger file from here sorry :(

Overall I would not be very available to help in the next few days unfortunately. Maybe please attach a screenshot of engine sniffer and use MS Paint to point at what seems wrong to you?

Gepro

Post by Gepro »

Thanks AndreyB, but everything is perfectly fine for me now <3 I am using the honda 24+1 pattern. It is fine. I just had to set 8°.

You can see in the msl file that I have zero trigger error.

The 2JZ_1_12 is completely random, the trigger event start on the first crank tooth detected and keep using it. There is no trigger error, just 1 chance on 12 to start. (or maybe 24 ? I don't know)
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

I finally have the picoscope logs, but we don't record a lot of data.

BLUE is ignition output from cylinder 1 with fixe 0° in rusefi.

RED is cam output from MAX, the signal is high and go low when there is rising edge, after zero crossing it goes high.
Controlled with pico just before, it is a perfect zero crossing during the falling edge of the VR signal.

Here it is with 2JZ_1_12
2JZ pattern start 1.jpg
2JZ pattern start 1.jpg (122.86 KiB) Viewed 13947 times
First start, everything fine
2JZ pattern start 2.jpg
2JZ pattern start 2.jpg (95.61 KiB) Viewed 13947 times
Second start, with EXACTLY same settings.

And with the Honda 1+24 and -7° set. (normaly, the cam is 7.2° on 1JZ and 2JZ without VVTi)
Honda pattern -7.jpg
Honda pattern -7.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 13947 times
With the honda pattern there is exactly the same results everytime. with the 2JZ pattern, it is random.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Can you log the cam and crank signals, and nothing else? I want to see what the real trigger shape looks like from your engine, not whether it's getting decoded or not.
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

I can choose what to log in the rusefi console ? Actually, I just have files who appear when I run the console.
Or do you mean the csv file from the high speed loggers ?
MAX9926 10k + 1kjpg.jpg
MAX9926 10k + 1kjpg.jpg (169.35 KiB) Viewed 13941 times
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Gepro wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:55 pm
I can choose what to log in the rusefi console ? Actually, I just have files who appear when I run the console.
Or do you mean the csv file from the high speed loggers ?
yes, that CSV from tunerstudio should do
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

Here it is !
Attachments
2021-01-19_18.58.34.csv
(324.4 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
2021-01-19_18.58.06.csv
(164.06 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
2021-01-19_18.57.58.csv
(19.41 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

I finally change the crank wheel by a VVTi one.

It is now 36-2 instead of 12 without missing tooth. It is a 20$ crank wheel from china. If china sell it, there is probably a reason and a lot of trouble on the JZ without vvti.
VR trigger.jpg
VR trigger.jpg (287.03 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
It allows me to use the MRE without additional boards, but... I had to remove R9 in order to have a correct trigger signal. (thanks Matt for the help)
R9 populated.jpg
R9 populated.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
I don't know why the R9 was populated :D

I will keep the engine in semi sequential and wasted spark for now. :D :D
36-2 settings.jpg
36-2 settings.jpg (121.28 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
Here are the settings, the timing is perfectly aligned and stable.