Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: V12 M73 to Audi trans, with Proteus in Lamborghini Replicas

Post by AndreyB »

yes, there is "global trigger offset" setting in degrees

in general, we will make any setup work. you add two more cylinders we will make it run as v14.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

Lambo97 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:29 pm
Can the software compensate for the fact that the M70 crank pully is 4 teeth off the M73 timing? You can see the sensor mount is dead center on the 4th tooth after the missing tooth on the M73. My Hope is rusEFI can compensate for the pulse difference . Andrey is this true?
no problem, you can infinitely adjust the phasing of the trigger system. You can put the trigger wheel pretty much wherever you want and it'll work fine.
mk e

Post by mk e »

AndreyB wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:51 pm
in general, we will make any setup work. you add two more cylinders we will make it run as v14.
That sounds like a challenge :lol:
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

mk e wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 pm
hasn't failed us yet....
mk e

Post by mk e »

mck1117 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:45 pm
mk e wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 pm
hasn't failed us yet....
sitting on my shop floor waiting for my time is a 1947 flathead Lincoln V12. It had 8 intake ports. Siamese ports can be quite challenging to deal with as there really is no way to spray fuel on the close intake at low power and not have it stolen by the mating cylinder....unless I direct inject is maybe, the worlds first direct injected flathead? Then there is the 36 cylinder 24k rpm radial-like engine I draw up years ago when I realized there was no cylinder limit in the class I was racing, only a displacement limit.
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

I watched a few videos of a Lincoln V12 tear down and running. Amazing how it's only a step away from a lawn mower with the valves off to the side. It's like my V12 only having 2 valves per cylinder, when they clearly could have had 4 valve dual overhead cams!

Yellow car motor update. Working late every day, tear down, clean, and reassemble. Each part cleaned and painted as I go.
image.png
image.png (747.78 KiB) Viewed 15694 times
image.png
image.png (690.87 KiB) Viewed 15694 times
image.png
image.png (701.1 KiB) Viewed 15694 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

How are things? :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

Yes an update is in order. We work on the cars every 2 days. I've been painting and prepping the motor for the yellow car. Here's an updated pic set:
image.png
image.png (652.19 KiB) Viewed 15138 times
image.png
image.png (512.52 KiB) Viewed 15138 times
image.png
image.png (613.71 KiB) Viewed 15138 times
Rob has been gutting his engine bay, rewelding up the firewall with an access door to be able to change the belts. He hasn't built the door yet, just a big hole.
image.png
image.png (424.38 KiB) Viewed 15138 times

This is looking forward from the rear of the black car. We're adding some tube steel and removing other tube to allow the engine trans to fit from front to back. Next pics will come in a few days. We will be the engine hanging in the engine bay with the transmission mounted to do an axle length check.

image.png
image.png (473.42 KiB) Viewed 15138 times
Next Saturday we will pull the motor from the yellow car so I can start the engine bay cleanup. Goal is to have the engines in by March. We decided against starting the motors on a test bed and just get them into the cars so we can test the electronics. Lots of work but we're chuging along.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

This is... very cool.
Lambo97 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:26 am
We decided against starting the motors on a test bed and just get them into the cars so we can test the electronics.
Wow, thank you for putting the trust in rusEFI!!

Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

Yes, you proved it can run the V12 and with your help along the way I think we will have no issues!
mk e

Post by mk e »

Where did the center engine cover come from? Its a very neat piece.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

That is seriously awesome. Well done guys!
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

Thanks, I bought a complete engine bay dress kit back in the day when they were available. It's actually designed to fit over the Chevy 350 sideways. I didn't know I was going to try a V12 until this year and remembered I still had the kit in my attic. I'm glad it sits proper on top the motor. Robs car will be more old school with no cover, like the original Countach, just big red spark plug cables running up the middle from the coil packs to the plugs. So my engine bay will look like this:
image.png
image.png (945.7 KiB) Viewed 15127 times
I'm 3d printing the rubber adaptors to connect the huge 4 inch hose to the 3 inch throttle body tomorrow. This is how the coupler will look on the throttle body.
image.png
image.png (868.41 KiB) Viewed 15127 times
image.png
image.png (465.59 KiB) Viewed 15127 times
and the black cars engine bay will look more like this:
image.png
image.png (428.39 KiB) Viewed 15127 times
bill

Post by bill »

you still have the A/C compressor on the engine? are you gonna use A/C ??
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

We actually bought new compressors. I don't need it too much being open top but the black car has 4 inch opening windows so he needs it for those hot 100F days. Plus it's needed as a part of the belt system to tension the water pump so it's sort of needed.
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

Pulled the carbureted Chevy out of the yellow car.
image.png
image.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 14867 times
image.png
image.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 14867 times
Gutted the engine bay
image.png
image.png (2.44 MiB) Viewed 14867 times
Same time started refreshing the Black Car's Engine.
image.png
image.png (1.89 MiB) Viewed 14867 times
image.png
image.png (1004.29 KiB) Viewed 14867 times
Should have the Clutch and flywheel next week then we start the ACTUAL install process of welding in engine mounts. Getting excited the closer we get to running and tuning the motors. Lots of grinding and welding left but we're working on it every day so lots of fun.
mk e

Post by mk e »

so the engine was transverse and strut suspension?...fiero stuff or ?????
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

Yes just like a Miura. I didn't like the weight being so far back. The car stuck well in the turns but the motor was high and rear. I started this project with the motor back in 1995 then bought the body in 1998. I used Fiero rear cradle and seat pan. I got rid of the rear toe links, and rebuilt the front suspension with better camber and got rid of the old school understeer and scrub radius issues of the Fiero. Aas you can see the control arms are of my design. I used 88 Fiero spindles that didn't have the toe link issues. I've had Koni's on the rear to adjust the rebound but now I want rear ride height adjustment so I'm going to cut off the perches and install coil overs.
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

Both Motors are now back together. One looking like a 84 Countach and the other like a 95 Diablo.
image.png
image.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 14693 times
Had to machine a missing tension adjuster on my home 6090 router.
image.png
image.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 14693 times
image.png
image.png (943.46 KiB) Viewed 14693 times
Cleaned up and welded some extra gussets to strengthen the frame.
image.png
image.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 14693 times
Cut the engine mounts. What a mess, but worth it.
image.png
image.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 14693 times
Installed these replica side caps for the engine bay I had for about 10 years thinking one day I will install them!
image.png
image.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 14693 times
Excited to get rid of that wiring soon, replace with the rusEFI harness.
image.png
image.png (841.37 KiB) Viewed 14693 times
Finishing up the tensioners today and test fitting the motor again to weld in the mounts. Going to be a fun day. Next pics will be the motor in the yellow car with transmission. Lots of work!
image.png
image.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 14693 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

this is epiciest rusEFI build. thank you for keeping us in the loop!

bill

Post by bill »

pretty epic!
bill

Post by bill »

do you have the tranny and the engine mated up... and the clutch working?
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

Last few days I've had to fabricate the engine and transmission mounts and test fit the motor. Here are a few shots of last few days work. The flywheel and clutch are in the mail, should be here tomorrow or next day so I should have an update so you can see what they look like.

Audi 012 Transmission with 01E adaptor fits like a glove.
image.png
image.png (752.41 KiB) Viewed 14543 times
Dropping engine in for test fit.
image.png
image.png (742.02 KiB) Viewed 14543 times
Engine in Engine Bay, looking good.
image.png
image.png (721.5 KiB) Viewed 14543 times
Welding in motor mounts.
image.png
image.png (531.65 KiB) Viewed 14543 times
Transmission hanging out the back with modified upside-down Boxster mounts. Tonight's project to weld in the transmission mounts.
image.png
image.png (671.99 KiB) Viewed 14543 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

I saw this projects in my dreams today.

Dreams were not technically accurate - in the dream you've started the engines one bank at a time which is not how it would work for Proteus :)

Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

And the build continues. I spend most nights until 12:00 or 1:00am working on the car. Mostly making mounts for things like coils, and evap canister, painting and cleaning as I won't have time or empty engine bay to do it later. Alot of drudgery work making brackets for the mufler, battery, mufler heat shield, roll bar, and air intake.

Air intake shield
image.png
image.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 13821 times
New Battery tray and Stupid expensive yellow top optima. Hope to not have to change this for 10 years! I think this tray took 16 hours to figure out and weld in.
image.png
image.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 13821 times
From inside the engine bay looking backward this area used to have a stainless steel heat shield on an angle which took too much room and was heavy. This one is aluminum and give lots of space for the transmission and 2 mufflers that will live left and right of center.
image.png
image.png (1.74 MiB) Viewed 13821 times
Rear roll bar, this is Pontiac but the control arms are of my design. I opted to use what I had some spare Honda CRV bar links I cut in half and welded to the control arm. Once painted black, should look Factree.
image.png
image.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 13821 times
Muffler sits on an angle right about here.
image.png
image.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 13821 times
Flywheel came in. custom spec to fit between the M73 using the starter ring from the M70 behind it. The clutch is Audi S6 dual kevlar for up to 500 HP, but still smooth engagement. Don't want a light switch.
image.png
image.png (981.55 KiB) Viewed 13821 times
Started the wiring tonight gonna have a few questions for Andre I'm sure. Andre you labeled the throttle body plugs 1 and 2. Which side does each go? Are we calling driver side 1 and passenger 2? Or does it matter since they will be working in tandem?

Thanks,
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Does not really matter but lets place etb 1 where you have cylinder 1/head 1/coil 1.

i believe we do not plan to control evap solenoid unless you use FSIO, so far we were avoiding it

mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

AndreyB wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:47 am
Does not really matter but lets place etb 1 where you have cylinder 1/head 1/coil 1.

i believe we do not plan to control evap solenoid unless you use FSIO, so far we were avoiding it
Agree that ETB1 should be plumbed to cylinder 1. We don't do anything with it yet, but in theory could in the future. Does the engine have a "crossover" or balance pipe between the independent plenums?

And yes, evap valve can be done with FSIO or GP-PWM if you really want to hook it up.
Lambo97

Post by Lambo97 »

Thanks for that, I was planning on just 2 solenoids, one to open when they got Key IGN to allow the charcoal gases to get pulled into the intake in front of the ETB and the other to close when key turned off to block gasses from filling up my garage! Dam float bowl vent tube on my old Holley would evap the bowl into the garage as soon as I parked. Sick of the gas smell! Or is that too simple a solution?

I've been going through the harness for the V12, I see there is a intake temp line. I haven't plumbed one yet, would this temp sensor be ok to use for that line.

I'm using it for coolant temp,

Reads 73K at 15C, goes down as it gets hotter.
image.png
image.png (697 KiB) Viewed 13818 times
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Lambo97 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:46 am
I'm using it for coolant temp,

Reads 73K at 15C, goes down as it gets hotter.
hmm, that's pretty high.... do you still have the stock BMW? They should work great.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Lambo97 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:46 am
the other to close when key turned off
As of right now ECU shuts down when you turn the key off. While we are flirting with delayed ECU shutdown as of today there are major code defects there and it's disabled.