JRockland E38 750il gen 1 supercharged

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
JRockland

JRockland E38 750il gen 1 supercharged

Post by JRockland »

Hey my name is John and I just found out about the rusefi so Ill give a try.
I have a E38 750Il 98 from japan, tranny start leaking so I pulled it out and it is in my garage since last year as I couldnt afford black emu's.
Looking to build the V12 with a jag top mounted supercharger, bmw1100 (motorcycle) valves and springs kits (better valves and higher rev limit as it get rid of the valve float). Also adding flow to that head.
Individual coils pack, and wide band 02 sensors. Just the normal stuff.

Now the hard part:
I have shoulder issue so automatic transmission it is.
Ill see how complicated those selenoid are, and might be creating a custom Tcm. Probably easier then trying to understand the current one.
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Re: JRockland E38 750il gen 1 supercharged

Post by mck1117 »

Is the car running now? The car's CAN bus is how the ECU communicates with the TCU - and if you can sniff the signals from that bus while the car is operating, we can make an attempt to replicate those signals from rusEFI.

If the car isn't operational on the factory electronics, this gets significantly more complicated to try and reverse engineer.
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

In the next couples of days Ill be mounting the engine and tranny on a bench.
The original electronic still work fine so I should be able to get it running on the bench and scan those codes.
I can setup a work station so if someone is good at coding and reading codes you can remotely help me out.
Linux or windows I can do both and have couples of them available.

I might need help to bypass some stuff as the engine is out of the car and Im sure the original ecm have a ton of safeguards.

If it doesnt work option B is to mount the tranny to a electric motor and manually activate those selenoid until I understand how they work. Personally that option is probably easier for me..
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

I didnt really talk about me.
Im canadian, and french. So sorry for my writing.

My skills are robotic, wiring harness, pcb design and production. I can do basic coding..
Mechanical skills are average.. I rebuilt 6 motors (cars/motorcycle). Still a newb at dyno tuning. My terms are all wrong (tcm/tcu) as I have a really bad memory and always mix them up..

I can also read and design wiring diagram.
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

Ok while Im cleaning the motor, rebuilding the tranny and cleaning up that mess of a harness, let plan ignition.

Im looking for coil-on-plug type ignition system, and as I will be creating the harness anyway I have choice.

My guess is going with ford coil pack would make part finding easier and cheaper, but I want to make sure I make the right choice for the rusefi.

Is there a specific type of coil-on-plug that work better with rusefi ? Or is there a better system ?

The original distributor is not an option as the braket and the new intake conflict with it. Im also looking at a nos installation in the mount plate between the supercharger and the engine so nos+distributor is a no no if I remember well.
Ill have to check the clearance with the headers .. anyone had issue with that ?
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor
Github Username: Orchardperformance
Slack: Orchardperformance

Post by Simon@FutureProof »

People have had good results with a few kinds of COPs.

Known working setups are:
Chevy LS smart coils
VW smart coils
M50/M52 BMW using audi ignition pack
Miata smart coils

That is just off the top of my head.

The short version is nearly any coils can be made to work but if your in the USA and want lowest hassle one of those options is probably best.
Now keeping MRE in stock in the UK - https://www.FutureProofPerformance.com
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

Ok. Wiring is going great, now I need to know what I need to buy (version/model) so I can order the Rusefi.
Also need to know what I need to run wideband sensor as my dyno doesn't have the module.

**Also where can I buy it.

Thank!
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor

You are USA based right?
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

Canada
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

top of forum now points at https://www.ebay.com/sch/rusefi/m.html

Please be careful since https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/wiki/Mission-Statement says "too many loose ends for end users to run an engine successfully without keeping close tabs on development"

I am concerned that www.rusefi.com was not enough to locate eBay store. Pretty limited documentation, zero support included in hardware price.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

yea it is still pretty basic but it is the only group/ecu actually working on m73 projects..
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

Quick update:
-Engine is being picked up by a company to get a frame built, so I can run / dyno it in my garage. Just need to find or make a functional engine brake.
-While prepping I found out 3 of the 4 bosh knock sensors (bosh ? not sure.. they look like it) where totally exploded. I guess that wasn't helping..
-Still need to design the adaptor plate and order the supercharger. probably will be a aj133 type (front intake and good extension on the pulley).
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor

The knock sensors will totally have been throwing a fault code if they have cracked. Kind of common on the BMWs of that age as the age/heat cycles get to them after a while.

You might want to go for something bigger than the Jag supercharger, iirc they run out of puff around 450hp which will be very easy to hit on the M73, A blower from something US V8 based might be a better bet, something intended for a 5-6l V8.
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

the one I'm looking at is for a 5.4l v8, I can't find anything much bigger then that. I don't want a big American thing that pop out of the hood, just something for a bit of kick.
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

Ok so I looked up the boards, and I will be ordering my own from jlc. Not that I dont want to support the project but for the same price with delivery and usd-cad exchange I can get a megaskirt.
And I made tons of project with jlc so it is the best ay for me.

Only thing I cant find are the connectors kit, male/female.
Is there a part number I missed somewhere ?

Thank
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

JRockland wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 pm
Only thing I cant find are the connectors kit, male/female.
Is there a part number I missed somewhere ?
Sounds like you've made your purchasing decision without accounting for the price of the connectors :)

Connector info is available on the main readme https://github.com/mck1117/proteus#connectors
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

Hmm. I don't know why you say that, they are actually pretty cheap.
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

Hmm I know those connectors are probably really useful and look pretty but I think Ill just skip and start the harness straight from the board. I have tons of 2-3-4 pins connectors for car harness so Ill just connect each element independently for now. When it is running and functional I might make it pretty with the actual connectors.
JRockland

Post by JRockland »

SO small update... :?
I checked around the harness and modules and all that rat nest, and rode from the repair manual.. :geek:
"Just adding the rusefi" won't be that easy: The automatic transmission is linked with EVERYTHING in the car... :cry: and if anything is messed with it won't work. Including the throttle body. "safety protocol"........ :roll:
SO 2 changes to the project :
Car will be rebuilt "stock" with a connection panel in the harness for easy access when it will come time to connect the Rusefi.
+ I will be scanning all the canbus code for the transmission and Ill share that info with you guys if someday someone else want to do a automatic tranny.. :D
Once the car is running I will try to connect the rusefi as a piggy back:
Inputs: MAP sensors, CAM position sensors, Wideband O2 sensors.. (hope I can run from that.. please let me know if I'm missing something :?: )
Output: Injection...: As a first stage.. I can't change the throttle body, and ignition will stay coil packs for now. and no supercharger for the moment until I figure out that transmission.

Anyway currently resealing the transmission (that thing was leaking by every single gasket.. like every good BMW..).