BMW S1000RR Powered Racecar

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
arsenix

BMW S1000RR Powered Racecar

Post by arsenix »

This has been discussed on slack, but getting a bit more serious now about getting this running with RusEFI. The factory ECU on these bikes is know to be difficult to use in anything but a BMW bike primarily due to anti-theft features but also just due to complexity. Should be RusEFI'able! Finally pulled the engine so I can now start planning the EFI setup. The engine will [eventually] be going into a 24 Hours of Lemons car. It will likely explode in a ball of fire after 5-10 laps, so we'll try to get all our fun in building it!

I plan to document all the engine sensors, actuators, engine systems on a wiki page: https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/wiki/BMW-S1000RR

From a RusEFI standpoint, the "tricky bits" (at least the ones I know about) are:
  • Staged injection
  • Variable length intake (two position)
  • Electronic throttle bodies
  • Quickshift system (this is more of a "bonus feature" :D)
This weekend I finally tore the bike completely apart, so engine is now accessible. I had been planning to instrument it a bit when it was running in the bike, but man it is hard to get access to anything when the engine is installed. So I decided to just drop it and figure it all out afterward.

I have a 2013 engine, although I am planning to pick up a 2015 next weekend (which is a slightly revised configuration).
arsenix

Re: BMW S1000RR Powered Racecar

Post by arsenix »

Picture of the victim, freshly yanked.
Attachments
The victim revealed.
The victim revealed.
20210327_123536.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 1903 times
arsenix

Re: BMW S1000RR Powered Racecar

Post by arsenix »

Not EFI related, but I played around with trying to 3D scan this engine using photogrammetry. It worked well enough that I plan to try this with better lighting and more photo coverage. Also need to strip off some of the extraneous hoses and cabling (some of which are non-removable pigtails). Although course, the STL that resulted was certainly acceptable for rough fit checks in the car. I used Agisoft Metashape for this, with a little over 100 images taken in my garage with a DSLR.
image.png
image.png (481.08 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
image.png
image.png (517.77 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
image.png
image.png (364.74 KiB) Viewed 1873 times