2001 VVT Miata build

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Mikeymx5

2001 VVT Miata build

Post by Mikeymx5 »

I have a 2001 Miata with a turbo currently running 8psi using a piggy back. This is my 3rd turbo NB, previous two were clocked at 230whp. I hope to get 250+ with this build.

Ran into this board and want to move past the problematic MAF sensor but still need to run a stock ECU in parallel for emissions.

Car is mechanically in very good shape with only 61K miles on the clock.

A full stand alone programmable ecu is a complete learning curve for me so expect to be annoyed with questions until I learn the ropes.
tempImagebFWS67.gif
tempImagebFWS67.gif (1.44 MiB) Viewed 10208 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: 2001 VVT Miata build

Post by AndreyB »

Mikeymx5 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:40 am
Ran into this board
My name is Andrey, I am usually the bad cop of rusEFI.

"this board"? which board?

Do you _own_ some board or are you _considering_ getting some board? Please look at your post with my eyes. I see at least four ways to read it. Please be more clear about your situation if that's something you believe would help you.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
BeerMoneyMotorsports

Post by BeerMoneyMotorsports »

@andrey mikey is a proud new owner of h72! Ships out tomorrow!
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Post by stefanst »

Hi and welcome!

I've run a turbo NB1 with piggyback for a few years (not rusEFI at the time). Wiring is going to be interesting and you may have to remove the pull-up resistors for the temperature sensors from the Hellen board so you can run both units in parallel. You may even have to remove some resistors from the cam and crank triggers. Not sure- smarter people will have to confirm this.

But it should definitely be possible!
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

stefanst wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:57 am
Hi and welcome!

I've run a turbo NB1 with piggyback for a few years (not rusEFI at the time). Wiring is going to be interesting and you may have to remove the pull-up resistors for the temperature sensors from the Hellen board so you can run both units in parallel. You may even have to remove some resistors from the cam and crank triggers. Not sure- smarter people will have to confirm this.

But it should definitely be possible!
I think the best option will be to remove the piggyback, and just swap back and forth between Hellen and the stock ECU.
BeerMoneyMotorsports

Mikey, check your PMs.
Mikeymx5

Post by Mikeymx5 »

Wow a lot a reply’s in a short time.

Yes I purchased the Hellen 72c.

Most likely I will start by swapping ECUs back and forth until I understand how everything is working. And that I’m sure any problems are not related to setup. I don’t really care to be a part swapper so I try to keep it simple until my car hits safety inspections only.

Unfortunately I’m an electrical engineer and can read and write code but not a great software person.

I have tuned a few piggy backs (AEM Xede etc) but a full ecu is going to be new to me.
Mikeymx5

Post by Mikeymx5 »

AndreyB wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:46 am
Mikeymx5 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:40 am
Ran into this board
My name is Andrey, I am usually the bad cop of rusEFI.

"this board"? which board?

Do you _own_ some board or are you _considering_ getting some board? Please look at your post with my eyes. I see at least four ways to read it. Please be more clear about your situation if that's something you believe would help you.

Sorry was just doing a quick intro only. Wasn’t expecting and support so I guess I assumed it was just rusefi general. But I will try to be clear moving forward.
BeerMoneyMotorsports

Thanks for getting back to me! Shipping out tomorrow now that its configured to your car.
Attachments
8E91B262-9F68-48CD-AF1C-4DC57BDD3D73.jpeg
8E91B262-9F68-48CD-AF1C-4DC57BDD3D73.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 10118 times
Mikeymx5

Post by Mikeymx5 »

BeerMoneyMotorsports wrote:Thanks for getting back to me! Shipping out tomorrow now that its configured to your car.
Thanks! That is one shiny orange case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BeerMoneyMotorsports

Powdercoated M&M orange!
Mikeymx5

Post by Mikeymx5 »

Well day one the Hellen 72c unit arrived and I managed to connected it to my Mac after some small trial and error.

The base tune is very undeveloped so I need to figure out what all needs to be setup before my first start.

But I guess it is a start.

I probably will start by adding the connector for my wide band which will require a case modification for a panel mount Molex Micro-fit connector.

stefanst
contributor
contributor

Post by stefanst »

Mikeymx5 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:31 pm
[...]The base tune is very undeveloped so I need to figure out what all needs to be setup before my first start. [...]
When I got my H72 for my NB2, all I had to do was to bypass the valve for the stock map sensor, replace the stock ECU with the rusEFI and the car started, ran and drove OK. Idle needs tuning and I need a wideband, but fuel and spark seem to be close.
Mikeymx5

Post by Mikeymx5 »

stefanst wrote:
Mikeymx5 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:31 pm
[...]The base tune is very undeveloped so I need to figure out what all needs to be setup before my first start. [...]
When I got my H72 for my NB2, all I had to do was to bypass the valve for the stock map sensor, replace the stock ECU with the rusEFI and the car started, ran and drove OK. Idle needs tuning and I need a wideband, but fuel and spark seem to be close.
Thanks. I’m sure the maps will run the car I’m just used to seeing a rich area at idle drop and a a few other areas of the map.

While I have a very basic knowledge of fuel and timing maps the rest is Greek to me and will be a learning curve.

However right now I think I broke my ecu’s firmware so I have bigger issues. Hopefully I’m wrong and it is just a MacOS driver issue.

Mikeymx5

Post by Mikeymx5 »

Not really ecu related at the moment but i’m cannibalizing a harness to add dual speed fans and probably going to add a few extra aux wires will be required in the future for boost control.

Additionally to this making a PnP harness y harness for the ecu so I can later run both ecus in parallel.

So have a few days of fishing and crimping to do.

jmr
Github Username: JimRowan
Slack: Jim Rowan

Post by jmr »

Mind spelling out in more detail what you mean by running them in parallel, and how you're planning to make that happen?