Hello from Norway! (Honda VFR800 2005)

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Andre AA
Slack: Andre AA

Hello from Norway! (Honda VFR800 2005)

Post by Andre AA »

Hello, my name is André and I'm a mechanic (Both hobby and occupation) from Norway. My family runs a repair shop, we primarily do normal car work, but also do a lot of EFI, engine rebuilds, tuning, paint, and bodywork, etc. That's not important, the important part is the EFI, we haven't installed/tuned thousands of ECUs, but well over 100 which isn't a small number (in my opinion). I also have access to a wide array of equipment including a dyno and the ability to have widebands for every cylinder for testing. I'm more than happy to use the equipment and the knowledge I have access to, to help the rusEFI team with testing ECUs and features. I will most likely be installing these ECUs in everything from single-cylinder engines to v8s pushing over 1500hp. We also have a lot of experience installing and tuning EFI, so I doubt there will ever be a problem with that part. If the rusEFI team needs help with testing something let me know, keep in mind I'm not an electronics engineer but I still have a good understanding of both hardware and software.

My current project is a Honda VFR800 from 2005. I purchased a crashed bike which I will be using the engine in a different project. The key was missing so I wasn't able to start it since the bike is a European model and has the HISS immobilizer. I decided on the rusEFI over an original ECU for two primary reasons. Reason one is I want to try the rusEFI system, and second, I might be supercharging the engine.

The best explanation I can give of the vehicle I'm building is a tiny single-seater front-mounted engine vehicle. Think of a giant go-kart with suspension and a front-mounted engine, designed for a much greater speed with much better handling. The entire thing would weigh under 250kg and have roughly 150hp (Supercharged).

As of this moment, I can't share any more information about the project, since there isn't, and me having lack of time isn't helping. So I'm not sure how often I'll be able to update you but will do when there's progress.
Last edited by Andre AA on Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Re: Hello from Norway!

Post by mck1117 »

Sounds like it'll be an exiting build!

Do you know what the trigger sensors look like on the VFR800? Cam/crank patterns?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Welcome to the forum!
Andre AA wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:06 pm
I will most likely be installing these ECUs in everything from single-cylinder engines to v8s pushing over 1500hp. We also have a lot of experience installing and tuning EFI, so I doubt there will ever be a problem with that part. If the rusEFI team needs help with testing something let me know, keep in mind I'm not an electronics engineer but I still have a good understanding of both hardware and software.
Open question which units are going to be available for sale when in what quantities. Chip shortage is biting us as it does anyone else.

As for testing we can absolutely use your help!

Right away I can think of launch control and knock detection/knock response. While we believe that we have both functionalities there is very little feedback from real users using those, very few reference configurations and very few logs shows stuff in action.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Andre AA

Post by Andre AA »

mck1117 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:29 pm
Sounds like it'll be an exiting build!

Do you know what the trigger sensors look like on the VFR800? Cam/crank patterns?
I'm about 95% sure it's the same as the cbr600, not sure if tdc is correct, but i think shape is. Crank is also the same

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/wiki/Images/triggers/trigger_28.png

Edit: Here is a picture of the crank trigger wheel
Attachments
VFR800 6TH gen crank trigger wheel
VFR800 6TH gen crank trigger wheel
20220105_202332.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 2884 times
image.png
image.png (27.13 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
Last edited by Andre AA on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre AA

Post by Andre AA »

AndreyB wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:30 pm
Welcome to the forum!
Andre AA wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:06 pm
I will most likely be installing these ECUs in everything from single-cylinder engines to v8s pushing over 1500hp. We also have a lot of experience installing and tuning EFI, so I doubt there will ever be a problem with that part. If the rusEFI team needs help with testing something let me know, keep in mind I'm not an electronics engineer but I still have a good understanding of both hardware and software.
Open question which units are going to be available for sale when in what quantities. Chip shortage is biting us as it does anyone else.

As for testing we can absolutely use your help!

Right away I can think of launch control and knock detection/knock response. While we believe that we have both functionalities there is very little feedback from real users using those, very few reference configurations and very few logs shows stuff in action.
People don't want to test knock detection on their engines weird :D launch control I can absolutely test, knock detection also a high chance I could test.
Luker

Re: Hello from Norway! (Honda VFR800 2005)

Post by Luker »

How is vfr engine running? My ecu on honda Hornet 900 missfires ignition (nobody wants to repair it) and that's why i'm also trinking about standalone ecu. Proteus looks nice. Adding wideband controller would make it great for this aplication and also future turbo. Crank and CAM rotor looks the same, 12 on Crank and 3 tooth on CAM. Found that rusefi has trigger for honda (speeduino failed).
So... Proteus 0.7 and wideband controller ( still don't know which)

Wondering how launch controll would work on a bike :?: