Introduction

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Ken Hill

Introduction

Post by Ken Hill »

Hello everyone. I bought a Beer Money Motorsports ECU for my 2002 Miata. The car has a forged 1.9L engine and an FM2 turbo kit. The turbo is a GTX2860 with an external wastegate. I'm running OEM ignition coils, Skunk2 intake manifold, and full 3" exhaust. Last time on the dyno with a smaller GT2560 turbo and a Hydra 2.7 ECU this set up made 299.56whp at 16psi with SAE correction factor. With the GXT turbo and the new ECU, I'm looking for 335whp. I have been running a Hydra 2.7 ECU for about 8 years now. Since Hydra EMS is out of business, I figured, moving over to a new platform with support is a good idea.

My learning curve is going to be steep, but I have plenty of experience. I worked at FM between 2000 and 2004 during the Link ECU era. I had my own business tuning Hydra ECUs for FM customers for about 14 years. I'm experienced at engine mapping, but brand new to this ECU. I've worked with a few Megasquirts so I can find my way around Tuner Studio.

My car is running very well on the Hydra ECU, so I plan to import as much data from that well-tuned calibration file into the BMM ECU. Here are 2 two questions I have right away. I am going to refer to my Beer Money Motorsports (RUSEFI) ECU as BMM ECU. If there is a previously defined short name for the BMM ECU on this forum, please let me know.

1. The fuel table in the Hydra is injector on time in milliseconds. What do the numbers in the VE table represent in the BMM ECU? Its obviously not the same scale. If I know the scale I can convert my fuel table over to the VE table, saving a ton of time and auto tuning.

2. The VVT Intake Target Table. What are the units? The Hydra uses -22 deg to +22 deg. I see no negative numbers, and values over 22, in my base map for the BMM ECU nor in any examples on this forum. Is the scale 0 to 44? Confirmation would be appreciated before crashing my intake valves into the pistons.

Thanks in advance for help. I look forward to getting my new ECU up and running in my car.

Ken
2002 NB FM2
Attachments
MATG 2021 (04).jpg
MATG 2021 (04).jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 1376 times
Ken Hill
2002 Miata
Beer Money Motorsports ECU
FM2 turbo kit
GTX2860
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Introduction

Post by AndreyB »

Wow exciting to have you on board!

Yellow and orange are the best Miata colors, I am jealous!

VVT target is from "solenoid not engaged" position, i.e. expectation is to have zero if you unhook VVT solenoid.

Note that you can adjust the zero position by changing the zero point offset like at https://rusefi.com/online/view.php?msq=925&dialog=triggerConfiguration_IO

Note that we love rusEFI online the whole tune & log sharing platform.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Ken Hill

Re: Introduction

Post by Ken Hill »

Thank you for the welcome and answer AndreyB. WIth Jesse's help, I got my fuel table converted over.

I will start a new thread with my experiences with the ECU and will share my map settings on Online once I get them set up.
Ken Hill
2002 Miata
Beer Money Motorsports ECU
FM2 turbo kit
GTX2860