Evo M111 into 91' 190e

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Rest_89
Github Username: N0Cash

Evo M111 into 91' 190e

Post by Rest_89 »

Hello fellow car enthusiasts. This is my 91' Mercedes Benz 2.3 auto, and this is my 3rd attempt at finishing this specific project for the first time.
So far, I have removed the engine from the donor car, complete with a 6speed gearbox. I have deleted the EGR and used the existing Banjo bolt at the end of the EGR to plug the giant EGR port on the side of the block.
My goal is to simply drop the m111 into the w201 and run the stock engine/supercharger until I go turbo (down the road). I am in the process of bench starting the engine by using the microRusEFI plug (48 pin) and adapt it to the existing harness.

I am experienced in replacing engines and mechanical work, but wiring is a different animal for me, and if I am being perfectly honest, I am a complete novice when it comes to schematics, keywords, and electrical. Which brings me here, a kind fellow suggested I make a thread so he (and some of you) could help me on my quest of completion.

As of right now, I basically have no idea what the fuck i am doing. What I am looking for is a simple chart to use the existing harness' wires to adapt to the micro plug. I'd like to confirm before I go off and melt my new stuff. :lol:

Also, I'll try my best to update with lots of pictures next time I get to the car, and detail everything I am doing so I can help others in my situation.

Here are a few photos of my project.
Car
https://photos.app.goo.gl/whi9U4t29mG5ZuQZA
Bible (That im trying to understand)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qxoiw3euCUC81Nq17
Evo m111
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E6zbW5qDBmdvBTXPA
Gearbox with w124 brake booster that was installed to accommodate for the clutch and 4 pot piston brake calipers
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Z1t6KAiBwAt1wkd9

So far, I have removed the EGR, and blocked off the side of the block where the EGR was routed to.
I have installed the brake booster for the incoming clutch after gearbox install.
The stock PCM wires are all labeled, as is the Micro Rus plug. I would like to adapt the harness into the plug and bench start this next weekend. Once I do that, Ill begin removing the stock m102 and installing the m111. I already have the correct mounts, aftermarket intercooler/plumbing, wideband, and will deal with the shifting wishbone once i can fit the engine.

I will worry about the driveshaft last.
augenblick

Re: Evo M111 into 91' 190e

Post by augenblick »

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/wiki/Hellen-128-Mercedes
this is a bit of information overload, but a link in there, is a pinout for MRE from duhafnusa4's 190E/SLK230 swap (as well as Hellen128 for the same platform). You'll have to confirm with him whether or not his is an EVO harness. To my knowledge, the main differences are the ignition setup, the TB, and and the CKP sensor.

Also, in addition to the EVO vs non-EVO harness, there is a sump difference depending on platform. W202/208/R170 are front sump, W203/209/R171 are rear sump. W210 is most likely front sump, and I have no clue if W211s got M111 EVOs or not, if they did, those are rear sump.
nmstec
contributor
contributor

Post by nmstec »

C4 IS 4TH CONNECTOR FROM THE LEFT
ECU C4 PIN 29 - BLUE/BROWN - APP PIN 1 - USP1 - 5V
APP PIN 2 - NC
ECU C4 PIN 36 - BROWN/WHITE - APP PIN 3 - SP2M - GND
ECU C4 PIN 26 - VIOLET/YELLOW - APP PIN 4 - SP2S - APP 2
ECU C4 PIN 27 - VIOLET/GREEN - APP PIN 5 - SP1S - APP 1
ECU C4 PIN 37 - BROWN/YELLOW - APP PIN 6 - SP1M - GND

C3 IS MIDDLE CONNECTOR.
ECU C3 PIN 39 - BLUE - ETB PIN 1 - ETB -
ECU C3 PIN 22 - VIOLET - ETB PIN 2 - GND
ECU C3 PIN 29 - GREY - ETB PIN 3 - 5V
ECU C3 PIN 26 - BLACK - ETB PIN 4 - ETB +
ECU C3 PIN 23 - WHITE - ETB PIN 5 - TPS 2
ECU C3 PIN 33 - YELLOW - ETB PIN 6 - TPS 1
Attachments
2002-Merc-C230-ECM diagrams.pdf
(527.43 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
m111-Ecu-connectors.pdf
(78.15 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
m111-APP-info.pdf
(221.62 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
m111-ETB.pdf
(53.28 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
"Dave B. 5:03 PM
Mark is an ass but by far the most potent combination of knowledgeable ass, smart ass, get it done ass and determined ass. and his ass consistently puts in time."

-Dave B, Hero, Tuner, and probably has a car.
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

augenblick wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:13 am
this is a bit of information overload, but a link in there, is a pinout for MRE from duhafnusa4's 190E/SLK230 swap (as well as Hellen128 for the same platform). You'll have to confirm with him whether or not his is an EVO harness. To my knowledge, the main differences are the ignition setup, the TB, and and the CKP sensor.

Also, in addition to the EVO vs non-EVO harness, there is a sump difference depending on platform. W202/208/R170 are front sump, W203/209/R171 are rear sump. W210 is most likely front sump, and I have no clue if W211s got M111 EVOs or not, if they did, those are rear sump.

Yes, I have been looking at this schematic to compare with my harness. This is the pre evo harness, which is almost the same, but the schematic shows it connecting to the 128pin, and not the small 48 pin pig tail i have. I will continue to do my diligence
nmstec
contributor
contributor

Post by nmstec »

Rest_89 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm
augenblick wrote:

Yes, I have been looking at this schematic to compare with my harness. This is the pre evo harness, which is almost the same, but the schematic shows it connecting to the 128pin, and not the small 48 pin pig tail i have. I will continue to do my diligence
My post has the answer.
"Dave B. 5:03 PM
Mark is an ass but by far the most potent combination of knowledgeable ass, smart ass, get it done ass and determined ass. and his ass consistently puts in time."

-Dave B, Hero, Tuner, and probably has a car.
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

nmstec wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:17 am
C4 IS 4TH CONNECTOR FROM THE LEFT
ECU C4 PIN 29 - BLUE/BROWN - APP PIN 1 - USP1 - 5V
APP PIN 2 - NC
ECU C4 PIN 36 - BROWN/WHITE - APP PIN 3 - SP2M - GND
ECU C4 PIN 26 - VIOLET/YELLOW - APP PIN 4 - SP2S - APP 2
ECU C4 PIN 27 - VIOLET/GREEN - APP PIN 5 - SP1S - APP 1
ECU C4 PIN 37 - BROWN/YELLOW - APP PIN 6 - SP1M - GND

C3 IS MIDDLE CONNECTOR.
ECU C3 PIN 39 - BLUE - ETB PIN 1 - ETB -
ECU C3 PIN 22 - VIOLET - ETB PIN 2 - GND
ECU C3 PIN 29 - GREY - ETB PIN 3 - 5V
ECU C3 PIN 26 - BLACK - ETB PIN 4 - ETB +
ECU C3 PIN 23 - WHITE - ETB PIN 5 - TPS 2
ECU C3 PIN 33 - YELLOW - ETB PIN 6 - TPS 1
Thank you for this! I was overlooking it for some reason.I appreciate it!
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

nmstec wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:41 pm
Rest_89 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm
augenblick wrote:

My post has the answer.
So I have been a way for a while. I just brought my project home so hopefully I can get progress on this. I had to refresh my memory on the pin out. The MRE pin out is there! I cant believe how confused I was when i first seen it. Ill be mocking up the harness this weekend. IF all goes well. hopefully I can bench start it next week.
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

OKAY! I have completed a full pinout sheet for the M111 Evo harness. This is for the 02 c230 Kompressor, 6-speed gearbox PCM. I have found your throttle body information useful.I know understand there are going to be ETB wires running from the Rusefi unit to the c-class TPS. Since the donor car had a pedal switch. I will be converting to a TPS and thats where ill be tieing into.

Now, I will go into that example you gave me, and match the MRE to the Evo harness. The main difference is the ignition set up. The guage wires from the Evo harness are a little thicker than what the MRE comes with. Will that cause an issue? Also. I am open to any ideas or suggestions regarding the ignition set up.

Here is my Pinoutsheet:
Last edited by Rest_89 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

Alright friends, I am asking for some help. I tried to use the google sheets available on RusEfi Page to help me match my MRE to my EVO harness, and most of it is easily matchable. However; there are a few differences on the EVO harness compared to the non-Evo harness and I am getting confused on where to plug what.

My tools for adapting the harness to the MRE plug have arrived, and I am getting anxious to get started, but I wanted to be 100% on what I am doing before I go attaching wires together.

I am asking you motorswapping gods to help me, as I am not Familiar wiring. Please take a look at sheet #3 labbeled "Merging Harness to MRE pigtail" and let me know if there are any changes I need to make.

The first page is the Complete Evo Harness, the second page is the MicroRusEFI 48pin MRE.

Any suggestions and help will be SUPER appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
M111 Evo ECU & RusEFI 48Pin MRE.xlsx
(230.29 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

Okay guys. My engine is wired to the stand-alone ECU. I have triple checked everything and I think I’m ready to try and bench start the engine.

Do I need to upload some kind of base map to the ECU before doing so?

Can I get some pointers on what I’d need to do to start this thing?

Shoot out to Jimmy L. Dude helped set my diagram straight.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
md_sanci
Github Username: shadowm60
Slack: Alex M

Post by md_sanci »

Rest_89 wrote:Okay guys. My engine is wired to the stand-alone ECU. I have triple checked everything and I think I’m ready to try and bench start the engine.

There are some basic steps you need to do, you can search also rusefi.com/online maybe you get a tune close to you're engine.

1. Check trigger wheel setup
2. Check trigger offset, timing gun is needed and a fix ignition angle like 0 degree, then check if marks are aligned at the cranck pully
3. If this is done, check other m111 tunes for base fuel, TB and crancking setups.
4. If all are ok, it should start.
5. Note that ignition tabels might not help you if trigger offset is not set up correctly.

I used for initial ignition setup megasquirt base map calculator, that could also be used for VE, at least for starting if you have no clue.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

duhafnusa4
contributor
contributor
Github Username: duhafnusa4
Slack: Jimmy *un*el

Post by duhafnusa4 »

Rest_89 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:20 am
Okay guys. My engine is wired to the stand-alone ECU. I have triple checked everything and I think I’m ready to try and bench start the engine.

xoxoxo
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

Disregard
Last edited by Rest_89 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Let's use buttons for prog mode. Bootloader entry is not in ports section of device manager but lower, in random usb sections below.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Please be more specific regarding what exactly do you see. Please try latest bundle and paste your error message like below
image.png
image.png (33.98 KiB) Viewed 12096 times

Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

AndreyB wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:05 am
Please be more specific regarding what exactly do you see. Please try latest bundle and paste your error message like below

image.png
Here are the two photos I get once I "download St drivers"

image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (114.22 KiB) Viewed 11932 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (108.81 KiB) Viewed 11932 times
Once it gets done and says "everything is okay" Done". I click 'Update firmware" and get an error code that says "failed to locate serial ports"

I just want to be able to plug this thing in and start my tuning software. I went out and purchased a new computer to give this a whirl, and still having issues not being able to simply start my ecu.

image.png
image.png (166.01 KiB) Viewed 11929 times
Attachments
image.png
image.png (166.01 KiB) Viewed 11930 times
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

Okay guys.Over the last few months I have been slowly working on this whole project. When I first started I had the EVO m111. After realizing the rear sump needed to be converted, I instead, purchased a 99' m111k from Ebay. Much better condition, and the price tag was acceptable.

Anyway, I have been busy. Over the last couple of months I removed the old m102. Slapped the 6speed gearbox to the 99' m111k and went to install it into the car.

Couple of notes: the 6speed gearbox is a tight fit, and I cut out some of the tunnel where the autoshift selector area is. I also used Stern-Garage's 6speed crossmember to fit the transmission into place. I also noticed that the fuel lines weren't log enough from the m111k to reach the stock 190e fuel lines. I fitted some AN fittings and created my own lines and it looks much cleaner than stock. I would recommend them.

Okay, enough backstory. To the good stuff; The wirng part of this project has always been daunting, and by following the provided pinout sheets on the google doc, I ran into a few errors I would like to clear up.
The throttle position sensor (PPS) and the ETB (TPS) shows two different variations on how to wire them. I tried both variations and both times were usuccessful.

My PPS required 5 pins (Google doc only showed 3 pins used, and the other one showed 6 pins used):
image.png
image.png (12.24 KiB) Viewed 11147 times
The TPS is where I was having issues as well and here are my corrections:
image.png
image.png (9.89 KiB) Viewed 11147 times
The TPS on the previous google doc had pin E34 on Aux 10. Which, on the MRE is wire #28 (blue). This was causing a whilrwind of problems on tunerstudio with redundancy issues as well as ADC issues.

I spoke to Simon via Slack and he mentioned an old issue where Aux 10, might be the problem, and sure enough, I snipped it off. Then replaced #28 (blue AUX 10) and replaced it with MRE wire #26 (AV2). I reset my ECU and configured the TPS in Tunerstudio to the correct wires. Sure enough. it calibrated and worked flawlessly.

I have a whole new Excel spredsheet to document and share with my findings (incase anyone else has these issues also).

I was asking around about the ignitionset up, and could not find any documentation on it other than the google doc provided. I kept reading (only with ignitor possible), but never could find an explination. I asked around and was told to convert to VAG audi coils. I decided I may as well convert if there was no other option.

I found that purchasing an Audi coil harness would be less work, and much cleaner than trying to solder 12 wires and make them longer. The only downside to this is that this harness doesnt have a pinout diagram. luckily, it was pretty simple to pinout the 12 wires on the connector make a male connector. Here is what it looks like so far.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 11147 times
image.png
image.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 11147 times
image.png
image.png (209.52 KiB) Viewed 11147 times
image.png
image.png (12.24 KiB) Viewed 11147 times
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

image.png
image.png (104.82 KiB) Viewed 11147 times
If anyone needs it, here is the pinout for the VAG coils
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

Here is an upload of the ETB and PPS communicating with eachother.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aUMVth7UH8U
Rest_89

Post by Rest_89 »

Also, here is a visual for the VAG COIL conversion harness.
image.png
image.png (30.11 KiB) Viewed 11142 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Thank you for documenting things nicely!