97 Miata daily/mountain toy

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
roadcone

97 Miata daily/mountain toy

Post by roadcone »

I've got a 97 Miata Touring that was owned by an old man for a long time and then an 18yr old girl who's boyfriend was a "mechanic". So as you can imagine its been fun fixing all of his "work" since i bought it in december of 2021. on its third tank of gas while still identifying what all was wrong it, it broke the timing belt in glorious fashion while cruising at 40 in 5th gear at 930 at night. Upon inspection, I found a finger tight crank bolt. Now the car has an ATI superdamper with a 4 tooth trigger since it was still on stock ecu and i had zero trust in any of the timing components that were on the car. While in there i replaced all of the seals and o-rings and gaskets that i could along with a new water pump and gates timing belt set so that should all be set for a while.

As for performance stuff, It's just a stock BP05 with Racing Beat 4-1 header, race pipe, Race Power Pulse exhaust and a DDMworks stage 1 intake that will soon be a cold side intake once i have time to build it. I've got a skunk2 intake manifold sitting there waiting for the ecu to go on. It's currently on worn out stock suspension since nothing i want is currently in stock anywhere. The future plan for the engine is to swap a BP4W head that i may or may not do some short turn radius port cleanup on on w/ MSM intake cam. As for suspension I'm looking at either the Flyin Miata stage 2.5 koni kit or their fox coilovers. Either should make for a fun little daily/mountain toy.

It's been a while since i've mashed buttons on a keyboard but i've tinkered with a few cars with HPTuners. I'm excited to see how everything goes with this system. I'm back and forth about wanting to put the car on E85 w/ a sensor mainly because i dont want to hammer the 181k mile bearings out of the bottom end while street tuning it.

Here's a picture of the Miaturd after i got a set of Konig Hypergrams in 15x8 +35
277571965_10166336884195357_8319206781100849944_n.jpg
277571965_10166336884195357_8319206781100849944_n.jpg (160.5 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
Nightsknight45

Re: 97 Miata daily/mountain toy

Post by Nightsknight45 »

Welcome to the forum! Nice ride you got there. I have a 2001 NB2 running the beermoneymotorsports ECU with individual throttle bodies.
roadcone

Post by roadcone »

I finally got around to swapping things around and wiring the wideband up. Last night i got the car to start and idle for the first time.

I've also built a pile of parts...
BP4W head
ARP head stud kit
skunk2 intake manifold
ebay clone of skunk2 throttlebody
BP5A intake camshaft
Radium fuel rail w/ Na plumbing kit
stock 97 injectors *GT500 injectors now*
supermiata coolant reroute
new bp4w intake manifold gasket
new NA head gasket
over the radiator intake tube in nylon6+CF

In theory I should be able to put everything together off the car and swap everything in an afternoon.
Last edited by roadcone on Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadcone

Post by roadcone »

getting closer and closer to having it close to an oem experience. right now there's still some funky cranking issues. some times it starts up and goes to 1500rpm just fine for a second or two and then target rpm other times it wont hit 700rpm for a few seconds... others it revs up to 2000 and hits a limiter and drops 500rpm then revs up to 1700rpm then hits a limiter then hits 1500rpm and quickly works its way down to 700rpm and stumbles for a second or two then comes back up to target idle and stays there.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

I believe that a collection of TunerStudio log files showing different experience could. Can you take a few and post links to a few different kinds of cranking result? With your current tune? Ideally on relatively recent firmware?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
roadcone

Post by roadcone »

We've now got GT500 injectors in the car from KA Injection. everything seems to be much better all around. I assume the injectors that were in the car had 185k miles on them like the rest of the car.

Where were sitting as of my way into work this morning.
https://rusefi.com/online/view.php?msq=1320

i'm also the lucky owner of one of these new 3d printed carbon-nylon6 over the radiator intakes. I've got my own silicone parts instead of the aluminum piece tho. currently wating on the 2.75" filter to show up.

image courtesy of Napp Performance.