1999 Ford F150 with 4R70w (eventually 4R100)

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
apauna
Github Username: alpauna

1999 Ford F150 with 4R70w (eventually 4R100)

Post by apauna »

Hello all,

This is new thread based on the progress of my 1999 Ford F150 build that I am doing using a Proteus board. So I have submitted the proteus_0_7 gerber files to JLCPCB to get built.

Main goal:
Maintain existing wiring as much as possible. So, Proteus must be as PNP as possible. Looking at the schematics. This is what I understand.
  1. Proteus has MOSFET line drivers onboard. However, low side driving of factory Coils and Injectors will take Power MOSFETs
  • The rusEFI firmware does not have trans control so that has to be added. Or, a secondary controller has to be integrated
  • 36-1 missing tooth is the OEM Ford crank position sensor. Not sure about CAM but I do not think it has one in the 1999 version.
  • Has 1 knock sensor but most other controller do not even used this option for example MegaSquirt even v# I do not think supports knock sensors.
Boards should be here in a few weeks from https://jlcpcb.com/

So I am going to take apart an extra Ford ecu that I have to get the 104 pin connector from it and add to the EECV dev board that I found in rusefi->Hardware. That is also coming from JLCPCB.
I have built 5 8 port low side MOSFET drivers kinda based on the one that was again in hardware schematics. However, I have made some changes including adding flyback diodes and noise caps on it. I will test and provide feedback to the progress I make with it. Getting 5 of them cost me just under $100 I plan on Making a 4 and 2 version so that they can be added to help drive many combinations of setups such as v10 or v12. Called it Breakout_8_TO-263AB-3_board but not sure if it can be added to rusEFI hardware or how anyone would like to handle that part of it.

I have attached the Kicad 6 project as a zip file.

here is the interesting part of the board
image.png
image.png (74.64 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
More to come as soon as I have all the parts...

Here is the bom:
Breakout_8_bom.xls
(13.54 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Anyway once I get the boards from JLCPCB then I will complete the "raw" version and figure out what else I need. The Proteus board is not 100 percent complete as some components were not available for assembly so I have to mount them to the board.
Attachments
Breakout_8_TO-263AB-3.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Re: 1999 Ford F150 with 4R70w (eventually 4R100)

Post by mck1117 »

Proteus has injector drivers onboard, no need to add those.

As for ignition, there are indeed no coil drivers, but it may be easier for you to switch to a smart coil (like the ones used on LS engines).
apauna

Post by apauna »

So, for now the reason I am not using smart LS ones is simply because I want to be able to swap back to Ford PCM if I want. Also, I did not want to pay for the LS coils at this time. IDK, kinda limiting the changes at this point. However, in the end I think LS coils will deliver the best results; so, thanks for the suggestion. In the final design of this crazy truck I plan on putting in a 4R100 trans and Procharger that is when I think the LS coils make sense. For now, I am replacing the Ford PCM and that is it. Especially since I am not sure what to do about the Trans any suggestions there is very welcomed!!! Seems like much work needs to be done on that aspect of this project.

The board I built is also good practice in MOSFET switching frustration that others have experienced. Overall, it is also nice for the Arduino projects that I am working on. So, it will have many uses in the end. Threshold Vgs on these is Max of 3.5 so it should work well with the MOSFET drivers on the Proteus board. Just a note, as with all designs if you drive it at 3.5 volts or for that matter 3.3 volts I am not sure it will be 100 percent on so remember that if anyone does use the design I provided is for 4.5 to 5 volts input signals.

Also, I plan on driving the Trans solenoids with the 4 Line version of this circuit. So, I have to test this out I may have overkilled the Caps a little as they are 33uF but may need to add a R into the design. Such that it is a RC snubber. Currently, I am hoping the resistance of the coil is enough to protect the caps from frying. Really, this is approaching a DRC snubber circuit. I figure on High Side version that is what I will build but Low side the cathode "-" of both diode and cap are going directly to Power GDN via the via. On high side they would go to Load side and Anode "+" goes toward VCC or BAT. So, on High side I would build a true DRC snubber to kill the inductive flyback.

Fighting with JLCPCB on it right now they flipped the flyback diodes the wrong direction.

FYI if working with JLCPCB make sure to check the layouts as they see them and verify every component is correct.
Here is the Q1 pair they have.
image.png
image.png (16.71 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
This is the original Note the line indicates + and so does the dot above the cap by H1
image.png
image.png (35.39 KiB) Viewed 5971 times

Do the LS smart coils have flyback diodes and snubber circuits built into them?

Inductors can really raise havoc on microprocessors due to the high inductive flyback during field collapse. This can be easily Kilo Volts of energy especially in a coil specifically designed to induce spark.

Also, I have isolated the Power Ground from the logic ground on this board. That should help to keep the noise away from the Proteus board. However, it looks like there has not been much problems with noise other than on shutdown where it has some problems seeing high RPM from crank wheel.
apauna

Post by apauna »

Below is my spreadsheet for the 4R70W transmission controller specs I have gleaned from Ford Manuals.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F4l5n8EHLNwfdud-JFVzuOp5Jsn7Hiso/view?usp=sharing

So, For Trans Temp It is important to note the I am going to consider the sensor linear between the ranges that I have provided and will add that manually to for now but I see it going into a TunerStudio table in the future. So it is a 1M temp transceiver so I volt divide with a 1M resistor and that will give me a range of ~2.5 volts across the ADC so I will setup the INTERNAL2V5 for ADC voltage ref to Pin 37 on EECV socket with it grounded to Pin 91 as shown below.
image.png
image.png (84.45 KiB) Viewed 5859 times

For that matter, that is the end goal of this project to go into TunerStudio so that I can setup the auto shift table sand TCC lockup characteristics. For now, I just want to start controlling the trans so I will hard code these into the code with the hope to expand it to TunerStudio in the future.

Since I have had no input on this part of the ECU I assume there is not much done with Trans Controllers at this point from other forums I have seen some simple trans shifters that act as a manual interface for the transmission. I am going to start to code my own controller for true auto control in the end. All I have to do is figure out how to get TPS and maybe figure out engine load into this somehow. So I am looking at CAN module interface for Arduino
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254309614429?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=254309614429&targetid=4580496732614414&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418233788&mkgroupid=1230353745471221&rlsatarget=pla-4580496732614414&abcId=9300542&merchantid=51291&msclkid=f247a14ab9751c9d48b7c2baf5f26fd3
That is so cheap and I can add it easily to an ATTiny 3226 controller to do Trans control since I have a ton of these uCPUs.

Trans controller with calculate speed and send that to the CAN bus so it can be picked up by ECU and speedo. At least that is what I think I can achieve.
apauna

Post by apauna »

Got my boards early this week.
Attachments
EEC-V Adapter
EEC-V Adapter
7534.jpg (139.73 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
Proteus Board
Proteus Board
7530.jpg (271.79 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
Low Side Driver
Low Side Driver
7528.jpg (168.71 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
apauna

Post by apauna »

apauna wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:00 am
So, for now the reason I am not using smart LS ones is simply because I want to be able to swap back to Ford PCM if I want. Also, I did not want to pay for the LS coils at this time. IDK, kinda limiting the changes at this point. However, in the end I think LS coils will deliver the best results; so, thanks for the suggestion. In the final design of this crazy truck I plan on putting in a 4R100 trans and Procharger that is when I think the LS coils make sense. For now, I am replacing the Ford PCM and that is it. Especially since I am not sure what to do about the Trans any suggestions there is very welcomed!!! Seems like much work needs to be done on that aspect of this project.

The board I built is also good practice in MOSFET switching frustration that others have experienced. Overall, it is also nice for the Arduino projects that I am working on. So, it will have many uses in the end. Threshold Vgs on these is Max of 3.5 so it should work well with the MOSFET drivers on the Proteus board. Just a note, as with all designs if you drive it at 3.5 volts or for that matter 3.3 volts I am not sure it will be 100 percent on so remember that if anyone does use the design I provided is for 4.5 to 5 volts input signals.

Also, I plan on driving the Trans solenoids with the 4 Line version of this circuit. So, I have to test this out I may have overkilled the Caps a little as they are 33uF but may need to add a R into the design. Such that it is a RC snubber. Currently, I am hoping the resistance of the coil is enough to protect the caps from frying. Really, this is approaching a DRC snubber circuit. I figure on High Side version that is what I will build but Low side the cathode "-" of both diode and cap are going directly to Power GDN via the via. On high side they would go to Load side and Anode "+" goes toward VCC or BAT. So, on High side I would build a true DRC snubber to kill the inductive flyback.

Fighting with JLCPCB on it right now they flipped the flyback diodes the wrong direction.

FYI if working with JLCPCB make sure to check the layouts as they see them and verify every component is correct.
Here is the Q1 pair they have.
image.png
This is the original Note the line indicates + and so does the dot above the cap by H1
image.png

Do the LS smart coils have flyback diodes and snubber circuits built into them?

Inductors can really raise havoc on microprocessors due to the high inductive flyback during field collapse. This can be easily Kilo Volts of energy especially in a coil specifically designed to induce spark.

Also, I have isolated the Power Ground from the logic ground on this board. That should help to keep the noise away from the Proteus board. However, it looks like there has not been much problems with noise other than on shutdown where it has some problems seeing high RPM from crank wheel.
Oh, forgot to mention I was wrong on the diode layout forgot the specifics of the anode and cathode I had it backwards in my head. So, the example images above are correct. The post just above this one shows a picture of the final low side driver in physical form.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Nice! How many proteus boards have you ordered?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
apauna

Post by apauna »

AndreyB wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:41 pm
Nice! How many proteus boards have you ordered?
Ordered 5 to start. I had to order some of the ic's off ebay since there was no other source available. IC's like Max9924 and BTS4175SGA had to be ordered out of ebay. Hope they get here next month. I will start testing next week without the chips on the test board just to make sure they are working and soldered correctly. Did find one bridge but heck better then me having to solder it all by hand :)
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

apauna wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:46 am
Ordered 5 to start. I had to order some of the ic's off ebay since there was no other source available. IC's like Max9924 and BTS4175SGA had to be ordered out of ebay.
i would be happy to buy one or two as pictured if you have any to sell

mouser has Max9924
BTS4175SGA do you even need high current high sides on this engine?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
apauna

Post by apauna »

AndreyB wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:51 am
apauna wrote:
Ordered 5 to start. I had to order some of the ic's off ebay since there was no other source available. IC's like Max9924 and BTS4175SGA had to be ordered out of ebay.

mouser has Max9924
BTS4175SGA do you even need high current high sides on this engine?
Heck yes, I would feel better about selling once I have tested on one to make sure they are good to go. Also, I am using 32F4 series not 32F6 series processors as the 32F6's were out of stock. Just FYI once I have tested the board layout I want to order the 32F6's on a batch in the future.
image.png
image.png (387.74 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
Thanks for the info on Max9924's I will order from Mouser. :)

Yes, that is true the 5.4 Modular does not need high side drivers. I just really want to complete the board fully especially if I were to sell them.

I have so much work to do on this project. However, at least I can really test the ECU out some now that I have the boards in my hands.
apauna

Post by apauna »

AndreyB wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:51 am
apauna wrote:
I would be glad to sell you two at cost if you could test it out and make sure JLCPCB got it correct. So far, I found 1 bridge on the cpu on one board that was easy to fix. All else looks correct but I am not at a good place yet to test. Note: it does not have the voltage regulator ICs on it or any of the few components that look to be added to the back yet. I would say the board is 85 percent there. So, if you want to add the missing components and test that would be great as it will help me know all is good in manufacturing of the boards. JLCPCB has been really good but there were a few components they repositioned.

Anyway, let me know via email your address you want the boards shipped and I will get you the final assembly and shipping cost. If you want two I will send you two. I really only need one for right now so that will give me two spare boards. My plan is to get this running on my 1999 Ford and then start to rebuild my 2003 ford with it too. Oh, that is a 4.6 but I want to put the 5.4 so original PCM has to go.
Attachments
Corrected Design
Corrected Design
Produce_DanZhi.SMT_Snapshot.Top.5363411A_Y2.SMT02301191099330 (1).png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5665 times
Original Design
Original Design
Produce_DanZhi.SMT_Original_Snapshot.Top.5363411A_Y2.SMT02301191099330 (1).png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 5665 times
apauna

Post by apauna »

Just getting back to this project; so, I have a wideband O2 sensor that I will be hooking up to the Proteus as shown before in previous posts. I have not seen much on how to hook this up to the board. Any suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated!!! Just starting to research how to hook this up to a windband so I will reply here too if I find something useful as well.
apauna

Post by apauna »

Ok found what I am going to do since I have some CJ125 chips from a separate project I was going to do.
I have ordered some boards for the cj125 module hardware section:
https://github.com/rusefi/hw_modular/tree/master/cj125_Module

They are on order from JLCPCB this way I will setup a left and right bank wide band O2 sensor. Now just to figure out how to integrate this into the Proteus ECU and TunerStudio I assume is used to tell it what inputs are for O2.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

There is no way to control cj125 with rusEFI