My W124 Build and How I Arrived Here

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Won24

My W124 Build and How I Arrived Here

Post by Won24 »

Hello,

I am working on a project. It's W124 running a mechanical diesel engine, in particular an OM606. A while back I read an article about dual fuel diesel and the benefits. Which is essentially just manifold ethanol injection. It along with my interest in efficiency has effectively started me down this rabbit hole.

SO, the last generation of OM606 used what was called an EDC pump, which uses a solenoid to actuate the fuelling on the mechanical rack. There is a gentleman by the name of Baldur Gislason who has made an ECU particularly for this type of pump and does a great job supporting it, he's been very helpful personally answering all sorts of questions he doesn't have to(link to webstore, link to product information page). Trouble is, I have a need for many more sensors than this ECU can support, partially because it's effectively a mechanical diesel, and partially because it's an experiment. I also want to drive 6 fuel injectors sequentially which is more than his ECU can support.

The upside is the ECU supports CAN bus. So, being a naive scrub I figured and use a speeduino to feed the rest of the sensor data over CAN using an arduino and started planning out the whole system of things. Later after a bunch of research I found out arduinos aren't actually RTCs and the STM32 is more suited to this sort of thing. So, naturally I googled it and here we are.

So, basically I am strapping a gas engine manifold injection system over a diesel engine, and trying to monitor a bunch of different data. It's turned into a large project and I've already started piecing all the parts together. I'm almost ready to begin running the engine electronically, but it's probably still a couple months out. As of current it's still entirely a mechanical diesel engine, and a bunch of parts on shelves :roll: .

Loosely the build is an OM606, VG2260T modified by TurboSource, water to air intercooler, 10R80 transmission, aftermarket trans controller, and E85 supplemental fuelling. There's a few other things I'm going to be doing like PVD coating, and modifying some engine components like the precombustion chambers, but that's less relevant here. I figure I'll be able to scrub these forums and find a large amount of the info I need to get it done, and I'll probably ask a few questions along the way.

If you've made it this far, I'll just say thanks for starting this project without me. :mrgreen:
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: My W124 Build and How I Arrived Here

Post by AndreyB »

Well, wow.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute