HONDA R18Z TURBO

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Dabb

HONDA R18Z TURBO

Post by Dabb »

I am really excited to start playing with uaEFI for my project. I am a mechanical engineer with some knowledge in Python and base knowledge in electronics, looking for a custom solution for a project of mine for which my old megasquirts ecus will not fit and are outdated completely compared to the possibilities that rusefi is offering. In fact I remember when I first use a TEC system and looking how things had improve thanks to the community and projects as rusefi,

My idea is to work out the prototype with uaEFI and then go for a custom solution with a more compact aluminium case and milspec terminals.

The honda engine does 140HP N/A and its going to be turbocharged. Its going to receive a lot of modifications in its parts in order to make it bulletproof at only 200HP@5000rpm with a 10:1 of static compression ratio. The main objective is mechanical reliability and fuel efficiency. I need to operate with the ECU:
.- VTEC on/off.
.- LSU 4.9
.- Wastegate electronic actuators ( VW OEM PART image attached)
.- Brushless DC 12V-2A motor.
.- Electronic throttle body
.- 4 oem ignition coils
.- 4 injectors
.- connect with dash and external buttons via CAN.

What I pretend from the ECU:

.- Acceleration by the user is controlled by the ECU this way: At full power it has maximum turbo boost for that engine operating point and throttle at 95%. When the user takes the foot out of the gas pedal, the ECU first reduce boost keeping the throttle at 95% and when boost is at its minimums it start closing the throttle. So in this way I always prioritize keeping the throttle as open as possible to reduce pumping looses and increase engine efficiency for a certain load.
.- The engine can be operated manually (user has the control of accelerator) or it has some predefined operating points (fast cruise, economic cruise, etc). The ECU will have to keep the engine to work at that specific operating point no matter the variations in load that may see at different road conditions, for that a DC12V-2A motor working at the transmission will have to adjust the load according to the engine current output in order to keep the rpms stable. If the change in load cannot be controlled by the transmission, then the engine will go out of the operating point present and let the rpms change for being able to then adjust the load manually. Another way to take break the loop between preset operating conditions and the dc motor, would be to press the pedal at any moment.
.- VTEC on/off control will only be managed according to rpms vs load vs on/off map.

I have friends of mine who are really good at coding and I will try to learn my self in order to work out the idea first and then get code refined by them. But after learning about rusEFI I see this project as something that was going to take a lot of effort and time and now thanks to Andrey, perhaps I can have this at the dyno in less than a year. I already ordered a uaEFI to start playing with and reading about doing a custom solution out of Hellen design.

English is not my native language so please be patient if it is hard to understand me or dont explain myself as I should.

Kind Regards,
DB
Attachments
image.png
image.png (768.88 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: HONDA R18Z TURBO

Post by AndreyB »

Welcome!

Yes we support Dc wastegates.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute