Hello All

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
E4ODnut

Hello All

Post by E4ODnut »

A post by rusefi on the LibreEMS forum lead me here. The DIY EFI world is becoming more interesting by the day!

I am very new to "C" programming, but am relatively comfortable with Motorola assembler using the 908 chip. I've done quite a bit of customising to the MS1 Extra code to make it work with the extra features I've built into a couple of different daughter boards for MS1. I'd like to make it very clear from the start that I am a big fan of MS. If it were not for MS I'd still be fighting with carburettors and distributors. What I have now works very well for me. My daily driver E-150 van has well over 100,000 km on MS with nary a hiccup. I built a stand alone transmission controller for the E4OD transmission with the knowledge I gained from working with MS. Having said that, I would like to be able to do more. The 908 chip is restrictive and hacking the MS2-Extra code would be very difficult, if not impossible for me.

On both the van installation and the installation in the motorhome I have things set up so that I just plug into the stock Ford harness. I use all the Ford sensors, TFI ignition and stock injector configuration. If something goes terribly wrong with either of my controllers it only would take me about 15 minutes to be back under EEC-IV control.

It probably wouldn't be very difficult for me to build the necessary I/O hardware to interface with the development board to first check things out on my simulator and then plug it into the van to try it on a real engine. That is, if the code is written to be able to do this.

Is this a possibility?
Robert
1995 Ford E-150, 300 CID I6 E4OD, Custom MS1-Extra
1992 Winnebago Elante 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, E4OD, Custom MS1-Extra
1992 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351CID Windsor V8s, Custom MS1-Extra
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 488 CID V10 5 spd. MS3 (in progress)
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Hello All

Post by AndreyB »

E4ODnut wrote:It probably wouldn't be very difficult for me to build the necessary I/O hardware to interface with the development board to first check things out on my simulator and then plug it into the van to try it on a real engine. That is, if the code is written to be able to do this.

Is this a possibility?
Good evening Robert,

Yes it is absolutely possible.

As we speak, the code supports only my Ford Aspire trigger, Dodge Neon trigger, 60/2 wheel and 36/1 wheel. On the other hand, if you provide me with the details of your trigger signal shape, I bet you I would write the code faster than you would solder the I/O hardware, especially since you would be waiting for an stm32f4discovery board anyway :)

As of today, rusEfi has only started one engine. Where are a couple of engines in the works, and whoever is soldering or setting up anything has my full attention and support, and not only mine.

Andrey
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
E4ODnut

Post by E4ODnut »

The Digikey (USA) link for the BOM won't accept my Canadian account log in. Is there a plain old BOM so I can order it manually?
Robert
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

E4ODnut wrote:The Digikey (USA) link for the BOM won't accept my Canadian account log in.
That's funny :)
I've downloaded the BOM and attached it to the first post in the 'analog board' thread
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Robert, I hope you would not mind - I would split this topic a little bit, I would extract the "1995 Ford E-150" part of the conversation so that we have a clean build log if you do not mind.

Update: some posts moved to http://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=469

puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

Robert, what happened to your v8 vehicles?
E4ODnut

Post by E4ODnut »

Andrey,
No problem on the split, I was going to ask if I should be posting that stuff to another sub forum anyway.

Puff,
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by "what happened".
Robert
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

robert, you had two v8s with ms1. you removed ms, reinstalled dizzies and sold them? or you still own those vehicles?
E4ODnut

Post by E4ODnut »

Puff,
The fleet is still very much intact.

The E-150 came under MS control with my own transmission controller in 2004. It is my rolling test bench and daily driver. I have well over 100,000 km on it since the conversion with no reliability issues. Tuning never really ends though, I'm always trying to tweak things.

The motorhome with the 460 V8 was converted about a year later, same MS, same transmission controller but with some added features. Being a recreational vehicle it doesn't see nearly the service that the van does, but it has logged about 40,000 KM under MS. Last summer we took it on a cross Canada trip. Slightly over 16,000 KM in 90 days. Everything worked as designed with no reliability issues.

The 351 Windsor V8s are in my boat. They came originally with 4160 Holley carburettors and conventional marine rated mechanical advance only distributors. I converted them to programmable EFI with wrecking yard parts from the 5.8L truck engines. The only non stock EFI related parts I use is for ignition trigger. I would have liked to use the truck TFI distributor but it is not marine rated (explosion proof). My solution was to retain the distributor just to distribute spark, but the trigger input comes from flying magnets on the harmonic balancer and a latching hall effect sensor to produce the 12 volt square wave 50% duty cycle PIP signal that the TFI module and MS need. I did one engine at a time in case things didn't work out, as well as being able to document the differences in performance and economy between the two engines under the same operating conditions. The Starboard engine is on it's third season, the Port is on it's second. If I had to do the conversion over again the only thing I would do different would be to use EDIS, or a variation of it to get rid of the distributor altogether. The TFI set up works just fine, but for a marine application it would be ultimately better and simpler to go DIS waste spark.

All four engines use the same strategy. Ignition is Ford TFI, next cylinder, fuel is alternate bank fired batch. I run open loop only but have wide band EGO sensors for tuning reference. I use Megalog Viewer to analyze my data logs for tuning changes and Tuner Studio to record the data logs and make the tuning changes.
Robert
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

I just realized that the last in the list is actually the boat! with two motors! so you have 3 v8 engines at your command?! (I just have a particular interest in v8 with rusefi)
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

So Robert is the master of 3*8+6=30 cylinders
I have a 50% stake in a 4-cylinder race car, a 25% stake in another 4 cylinder car and 2*4+6 cylinders of my own. That's not even close :(

E4ODnut

Post by E4ODnut »

Puff,
I don't know that a V8 is really any more complex than an Inline 6 or a four cylinder, but if I can be of any assistance I'd be glad to at least offer an opinion. My engines are all low tech, low compression utility machines, but it is still very satisfying to be in total control.

Andrey.
I'm not sure who is master here, me or the cylinders. It's all become much more than just a hobby, almost an obsession, but it's fun and it keeps me out of the bar, which is looked upon with great favor by my dear sweet wife of 44 years.
Robert