1993 Holden Commodore VR Ute Australian

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Poseidon

Re: 1993 Holden Commodore VR Ute Australian

Post by Poseidon »

russian wrote: I am not a professional shipper yet :(
Conversion roughly on the $90 all good no problem my bad estimate lol, don't worry mate not on you just shipping is expensive I know I've been dealing with it for 10 years and well sometimes my mum doesn't tell me but I'm sure when she sends chrissy presents and what not. All good. My order is in and I'm ready to rock.... Thank you for your help and patience Mate I can't wait to get started we are going to be very good mates comrade.......
Nothing is ever broken, it's just a mater of patience, resources and persistence to fix it!!! Oh yeah and knowing when it's worth it or not!!!
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Having soldered a couple of these I will throw in a syringe of soldering paste into your box, I want you to success not kill yourself with a soldering iron :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

russian wrote:Having soldered a couple of these I will throw in a syringe of soldering paste into your box, I want you to success not kill yourself with a soldering iron :)
Thank you heaps!!!!

Have never used soldering paste... I have done extensive soldering just a bit shaky these days from medications and pain, is my only concern but is this paste permanent and look good? I just have to wait for a good day like same with my tattoo gun lol.....

Order #17399 Confirmation
Your order has been successfully placed!
Thank you for your order! We have successfully billed your account, so the order is now complete. We'll send you another email when your items ship.
Nothing is ever broken, it's just a mater of patience, resources and persistence to fix it!!! Oh yeah and knowing when it's worth it or not!!!
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Stand-by for the "UnBoxing" dundundu (music plays........)
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Poseidon wrote:Have never used soldering paste... I have done extensive soldering just a bit shaky these days from medications and pain, is my only concern but is this paste permanent and look good?
Oh sure it is permanent - you still need a source of heat (soldering iron or hot air gun) to apply the paste. Whatever magic happens and you have a very nice looking joint. http://kd5ssj.com/solderpaste
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Kartman

Post by Kartman »

Rusefi put me onto this forum - so spasiba! I've done a bit of fiddling with the ecus for the VN and VS, so i can probably help with some of the technical stuff.

I normally use solder to do my SMD. Hot air i would normally use to remove parts or to solder the tricker packages. I put a blob of solder on one pad, get the tweezers and melt the blob whilst positioning the part. Then solder the other end.

As for the crank sensor, i'd be keeping the DFI module as it works well and they are cheap from the wreckers. They put out a very healthy spark. Note that they also draw over 7A when running, so make sure the power wiring is adequate. The DFI module outputs a nice trigger signal and the efi box bases its timing from that and returns a pulse when it wants to fire. If it gets no signal, it defaults to 10degrees btdc. I reverse engineered the original one many years ago but the later models use a Bosch manufactured hybrid with separate coils. The VS ones incorporate circuitry for the crank position sensor and have another output.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Kartman wrote:Rusefi put me onto this forum - so spasiba!
Welcome, I am glad you've accepted the invitation. Out of curiosity, how far are you from "Poseidon @ Melbourne, Australia"? :)

Kartman

Post by Kartman »

How far am I from Poseidon? No idea. I'm bayside.
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Kartman wrote:How far am I from Poseidon? No idea. I'm bayside.
Bayside "????state????"
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Poseidon wrote:
Kartman wrote:How far am I from Poseidon? No idea. I'm bayside.
Bayside "????state????"
Sandringham????
Kartman

Post by Kartman »

Sandringham?? No, I'm not that well heeled - a few k's south! I'm in Melbourne, of course.
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Melton here mate....
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Nearly done with first stage of polishing...

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kartman

Post by Kartman »

You don't want to polish it to a mirror finish - this affects the airflow in the bad direction. Just clean up the casting imperfections with a carbide bit and finish off with a tootsie roll (that's an american expression - I don't know what they call them over here! - basically the little abrasive tubes). I've got an engine in the garage where you'd think the input ports are crap - until you realise Mr Honda made it specifically that way to keep up the airflow at lower rpms.

Besides, the right angle is the major problem, you're really just polishing a turd!
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

All good I like my shit shinny.....
Kartman

Post by Kartman »

I gather it is the intake elbow at the front of the plenum?
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Kartman wrote:I gather it is the intake elbow at the front of the plenum?
Yep sure is...

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

kb1gtt wrote: The other two will be a pulsed signal.
Regarding sensors I was reading your thread on your snow blower and you were talking about a hall sensor for the flywheel. Do you think adding one to my fly wheel would have any advantage? I can drill and fit one while engine is out if you advise me which one (lowest price best) to fit that is know to work with Frankenstein.....
Thanks mate...
Jay

Poseidon

1993 Holden Commodore VR Ute Australian

Post by Poseidon »

Would something like this from eBay suit????

View item:
GENUINE BOSCH CRANKSHAFT CRANK ANGLE SENSOR VAUXHALL ASTRA CORSA ZAFIRA -C2B

End Time: 27 Sep 2014 6:53:42 am AEST

Sent from my iPhone

Kartman

Post by Kartman »

Why would you not use the stock sensor? Especially since it drives the DFI module. The DFI module gives you a nice interface to the ECU and gives a healthy spark for RPM well in excess of what the engine can do. You don't need to worry about dwell or current limiting as the module does that for you in addition to limp home mode. The modules are cheap and plentiful.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

For my snow blower, it has a magnet embedded in the flywheel, that is why my hall works. You don't have a magnet, just flux steering materiel, so that wouldn't work for you.

If you roll your own hall, I've heard good things about this sensor http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Magnetic-Speed-Sensor-ICs/Camshaft-Sensor-ICs/ATS601.aspx

I believe you can use the OEM sensors once you solder up your Frank board. WE just need to figure out the pin out and how to physically connect to it.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
Kartman

Post by Kartman »

This link describes the operation of the dfi module.
http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page11.html

Looks like it gives the trigger pulse 68degrees before tdc, so you time from that based on the required angle and rpm then set the fire pulse. Simples. On the V6 you'll get three pulses per rev.
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Thanks for the information, being diesel background this really helps a lot....
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Next stage complete; motor refit!!!

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

ImageImageImage

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

ImageImageImage

AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

All this is too clean to be true :)

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

russian wrote:All this is too clean to be true :)
No no, the story is very popular mate, Image surgical gloves out and ready for inspection boss.... Lol :D hehehe Image

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Processed Through Sort Facility AUSTRALIA September 19, 2014 9:06 am

Yeah that's right Frankenstein is in Oz on way to my house :D
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

:D :) ;) 8-) Frankenso outta the box!!! 8-) ;) :) :D

G'Day M8... So Happy!!! It came in the mail yesterday and though I was itching to open it I wanted some quiet time to do an "unboxing" so here it is for all ya!!!

Unboxing Part 1
[video][/video]
Unboxing Part 2
[video][/video]

An hour later my pack of surface mount devices showed up so once I get bits n bobs to handle them we will be seeing more video's!!!