Hi from northern Germany

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
KLAS

Hi from northern Germany

Post by KLAS »

hi, i'm Klas from Hamburg, Germany.
after i got my stm32 development board and a bit reading it seams i got it working on the bench. at least everything works using the java console as far as i can tell.
next step will be to adapt it to my ecu board that was made for a MC68HC908 and if that works out ok, a new pcb layout may be in order.

so i have to start asking stupid questions.
my first test engine uses a throttle body injection with a single low impedance injector, does rusefi support PWM control of the injector? or will i have to use a resistor for current control?
it uses a dizzy but timing and dwell is ecu controled. that shouldn't be a problem, should it?
idle control is via stepper. i found stepper is supported and bought a A4988 board. thats right i guess.
being a british engine it uses it's own trigger pattern at the flywheel. would be great if that could be supported directly. one it a 36-1-1, with the missing teeth 180° apart, both at TDC. the other, later is more complicated, 36-1-1-1-1, the gaps are at 30°, 60°, 210°and 250° IIRC. called Rover #1 and Rover#2 at other ecu systems.
for beginning i have a 36-1 fitted to the pulley, back from the days i used a EDIS based ignition control. so i hope to have it up and running quite easily.

but my most important question is, is there a recommended pin usage? i found some tables, but they don't seem to be identical. as a guess because they are for differend pcbs. but i'm not sure.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Hi from northern Germany

Post by AndreyB »

hi Klas! I am racing this weekend so will respond with more details later.
So far all the engines were with high impedance, with the exception of the honda which was low Z with OEM resistor so for us it still looked as high Z. I can probably implement PWM if you explain why it's really needed.

I will add support for you trigger, let me ask you for details on Sunday/Monday. I guess first step would be making the electronics part of the trigger input.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Jbperf has a nice low z drive board. I believe pwm can be developed but would suggest the jbperf board.

We have lots of flexibility on pin out and wheel patterns. It's a bringing out an OS driven approach.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

with TBi there were 2 strategies over here to stop the injector, only has 1.3 ohm, from burning out. Bosch used a inline resistor fitted inside the ecu, Rover, with Motorola as ecu manufacturer, used PWM.
but i think the LM1949 will be my choice, even if i won't use Jean's board. no need to have a PCB for 4 drivers if i only need one.

beeing very flexible is what i rely on. i plan to replace the whole Rover ecu family over time. that is from TBi with dizzy up to fully sequential fuel, wasted spark and variable inlet valve timing. and nearly everything in between. do you think rusEFi can handle it?
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

found the latest firmware and burned it to my board.
than managed to work with Tunerstudio and pulled the pin usage out of it while i entered the basic engine data. sure it's not perfect, but ok for a start.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Sounds like you are making progress!

For trigger shape research/confirmation you need to focus on 'engine sniffer' tab in rusEfi console and look at triggerinfo command output.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Abricos
contributor
contributor

Post by Abricos »

Why are you not using full megasquirt board and brains ???
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

russian wrote:For trigger shape research/confirmation you need to focus on 'engine sniffer' tab in rusEfi console and look at triggerinfo command output.
just looked at this tab on my computer. what would i do with it? crank the engine and it would show an image of the pattern?

and as i will start with the 36-1 pattern, do i have to set a trigger offset? like 90° as the missing tooth is at 90° before TDC?
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Yes.

You can actually play with it - on Messages tab there are 'enable self_stimulation' and 'disable self_stimulation' buttons which would show you how your trigger is expected to look like and when which injector would be fired. Be sure to turn this off once connected to real injectors :)

KLAS

Post by KLAS »

Abricos wrote:Why are you not using full megasquirt board and brains ???
i do. much more in the past, my first board was a V2.2 from 2002 running 2.0 B&G code, and maybe less in the future for multiple reasons.
and i like to play with new stuff
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Great to see you making good progress. Do you have a particular project in mind or are you just experimenting with it? You note dizzy, does that mean 8 cyl? Keep up the good progress.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

i'm planing to use it with my Rover K-Series engine thats going to be turbocharged sometimes. it's a 4 cylinder with 1.4liter, DOHC with dizzy at the inlet cam.
a 1.8l version was fitted to the Lotus Elise, before they put a Toyota engine in it.

V8 would be great, but with our car tax system it is to expensive for me.