VW Golf mk2 GTI 16V

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
RasPL

VW Golf mk2 GTI 16V

Post by RasPL »

Hello all, and greetings from poland
Here is my car which i'm having from ~9 years
It is vw golf mk2 GTI 16V from 1991, but i think it only looks like golf, almost 70% of parts are from other models like passat 35i B3/B4, corrado, golf mk3, diffrent engine variants from 1.9TDi up to vr6 + custom made parts and supercharger from mercedes (eaton M65 custom modified).
ImageImage

Equipment:
-electric windows, mfa, electric mirrors, power steering bla bla bla :)
Modifications:
- ABS from mk3 VR6 with EDS
- home made Air Ride suspension :D
[video][/video]
- and something else

Without oem 1.8 heart:
Engine
- engine block 2.0l 9A
- header custom modified 1.8 16V KR
- pistons/rods/pins modified 9A, CR 9.5:1
- cast crankshaft ABF
- cams ABF,
- supercharger eaton M65 custom for now gives 0.8bar
- big FMIC
- oil radiator MOCAL + equipment
- porsche 911 turbo spark plugs
- injectors saab 2.5T
- custom intake manifold
- throttle body corrado G60
- ECU digifant df1 from g60 with custom algorithms and maps
- flywheel G60
- clutch vr6
- gearbox 02A CGY with 5th gear from ASD
- exhaust manifold vw motorsport
- exhaust 2.25" stainless steal + mid/rear muffler from passat 35i VR6
- wbo2 innovate MTX-L, 4x EGT for each cylinder
- engine mounts passat 35i + customs, rear suspension passat 35i variant
- front brake calipers + pads audi a6 c5 2.4 v6, discs golf mk2 G60 280x22 4x100
- rear brakes golf mk4 GTI 232x10
- weight 1060kg

0-100km/h 5.2s don't know the power and torque, modifications of engine still in progress
first start of new engine
[video][/video]
first drive
[video][/video]
rest of videos at my yt channel

last 2 mounts paint job

And the plan for now is play with rusefi, make flywheel tooth vr sensor (~135 tooths) and the sync trigger in dizzy, bigger injectors, 4 COP's from 4.2TFSI
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: VW Golf mk2 GTI 16V

Post by kb1gtt »

Very nice. Iv'e owned many of the vehicles which you got parts from. So I'm at least mildly familiar with the parts you have assembled. Your pieces only seem to note your mechanical bits. Do you have a way to back down power if you detonate or knock? Would be a shame if it self destructed, and could be prevented by using some sensors. I forget if df1 had knock or not. Who knows that CAM might be making to much noise for knock to work.

What kind of power can that 02A CGY handle? I wonder if a diesel trans would be a good idea, those were used engines with low end torque. I seem to recall the drive shafts were much larger diameter than the gas jobs. I've bet they would handle well with increase power applications.

It makes a nice whistle in the video. Is that a cog belt on the super?
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
RasPL

Post by RasPL »

I'm using stock knock sensor algorithm from df1 which in next engine cycle is retarding ignition angle for cylinder at which knock was detected. The retard value depends from knock signal level. When in next few engine cycles this method don't helps to prevent knock handle, ecu is limiting boost using idle speed solenoid valve. This ecu is using 2d map knock_gain(rpm). Cams can't make noise for knock sensor if valve train is working ok. I'm having 2 knock sensors. 1st is for ECU and secound i'm koneckting to laptop and headphones when i'm changing ignition maps.

I don't know how much can handle 02A, i know that this gearbox have much more stronger differential mechanism than 020. I know cars which are making 500whp with 02A trans whithot issues. The shafts are stock from 1.8 16V KR engine and i don't have problems at all. Diesel trans is the same but they have different gear and main ratios. I have 5th gear from ASD (mk3 1.9TDI trans) to drive at highway with low engine speed.
Photo from 5th gear tooth wheels change:
The whistle is from my custom modification of this charger. Belt for now is 7pk, before was 6pk and after 1000-2000km always was burned. Now all is ok (~5000km)

Customs in df1
- dissasembled code
- ve and ignition maps 16x32 (rpm x map)
- launch controll for 2nd gear
- soft rev limiter
- knock light
- shift light
- wbo2 logging
- rs232 ram dump to the tunner studio rt
and more :)
[video][/video]
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I have just posted a spreadsheet about VR sensors. You can use it make some predictions about how well your VR on flywheel might work. Is your VR VW OEM? The VR sensors have a "reference voltage" which is taken under specific conditions. For many OEM CAM or Crank shaft sensors this reference voltage is about 40Vp-p at a surface speed of 1,000 in/s. If you have an OEM flywheel sensor, your sensor will likely have a smaller reference voltage than this. If you use a more generic crank shaft sensor, you may have an issue dealing with higher voltages.

Do you know the tooth width, flywheel diameter, gap between teeth, or max planned RPM. Keep in mind max planned RPM is different than real world RPM. I generally suggest planning for a higher RPM than you will really do.

I took a stab at the calculation by guessing 24 inch wheel diameter, tooth width and gap of 0.078, sensor tip of 0.106, ref voltage of 40Vp-p, 10kohm load resistor and at 10kRPM. The spreadsheet claims a voltage of 370V.

I suspect your sensor will have a lower reference voltage. Do you know the peak to peak voltage at any speed when the sensor is connected to a 100kohm load? If you know the speed and voltage we can predict the reference voltage and get better predictions about what voltage you can expect during normal operation.
RasPL

Post by RasPL »

For now i have only hall sensor inside distributor and i want to run frankenso on it in batch injection and one coil and make adapter to oem engine harness. After that if all will work ok i want to add vr sensor on flywheel like is in AAN engine and chack signal with osciloscope. When signal will be good conditioned i change it to main trigger and hall sensor to secondary sync trigger. I think on fly wheel i have ~136 tooths and diameter is ~240mm. If i will be so far in project i can meassure flywheel.

In hands i have oem vw 3pin vr sensor used for 60-2 trigger and gm 1.6 zetec 2pin vr sensor.
Horsty

Post by Horsty »

hi,
are you running the 200mm clutch?
you could try the flywheel from a polo mpi with 60/2.
just depends if it fits on the crank shaft and the clutch.
Track: Audi Coupé Quattro R5 Bj. '89 | 2.3 Liter | 7A | 170 bhp | Perlwhite L0A9
Daily 2014- : Volkswagen Lupo Bj. '99 | 1,0 Liter | ALL | 50 bhp | Flashred LP3G --> conversion to AEX 1.4 8v 60 bhp --> conversion to AEE 1.6 8v 75 bhp
RasPL

Post by RasPL »

Currently i'm running dual clutch disc 240mm kevlar and 4motion drive.
Befor was 228mm with clutch from vr6.
Now i have 60-2 trigger with hall sensor i dont know that is from polo or which car but is same style.

All is here ;)
https://www.facebook.com/VW-Golf-Mk2-GTI-16v-4Motion-1749748101982262
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Sweet. Keep us posted and feel free to ask questions. Looks like a cool project.