1985 Toyota corolla GTS with 4age 20 valve

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Javidrifter

1985 Toyota corolla GTS with 4age 20 valve

Post by Javidrifter »

Hello everyone as the title says I have a 1985 Toyota corolla GTS RWD with a 1.6L 4AGE engine with 20 valves. Currently the engine is out of the car getting a rebuild, I figured I would also consider ecu options while it was down. I currently run the stock ecu with no modifications pn:89661-1A470. I know my crank angle is measured with a hall effect sensor in the distributor. Please be gentle I only have a very basic knowledge of electronics.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: 1985 Toyota corolla GTS with 4age 20 valve

Post by AndreyB »

Welcome again!

Between the engine on the stand and very basic knowledge of electronics I would recommend waiting for the next batch of assembled boards, usually I have these in stock but at the moment there is a gap between batches. From my experience very low percentage of kits is ever assembled into functioning units, my recommendation is to wait and pay extra but get a functioning unit. Between wiring things up and tuning it there will be enough learning already.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Javidrifter

Post by Javidrifter »

russian wrote:Welcome again!

Between the engine on the stand and very basic knowledge of electronics I would recommend waiting for the next batch of assembled boards, usually I have these in stock but at the moment there is a gap between batches. From my experience very low percentage of kits is ever assembled into functioning units, my recommendation is to wait and pay extra but get a functioning unit. Between wiring things up and tuning it there will be enough learning already.

I want to use this to learn more about electronics also I have a friend who is an electrical engineer. He and I will be doing this together.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

It would likely be a good learning experience. There is certainly an array of parts to solder. Some on large-ish copper planes, others with small pin pitch, etc. However it also doesn't take much to damage it beyond repair. So I suggest that if you decide to solder it yourself, that you're aware that it could go wrong and you might have to scrap it. If all else fails, it could make a good Frisbee, or it might work well for shimming the leg on the kitchen table :)

No worries about being young to electrical stuff. It's good to hear you're willing to walk the line and see if you can keep the magic smoke inside :)

Keep us posted, sounds like a cool project.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
Javidrifter

Post by Javidrifter »

Thanks to every one for the warm welcome :)