work in progress Turbo LS

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
RichyBugs

Turbo LS

Post by RichyBugs »

Night owl here, "working" as well as doing some research, with any luck my build will benefit everyone else looking to control high hp motors in the future! Aiming in excess of 1000hp with rusEFI, motor will be put together next winter and will be going in a foxbody.
“If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.”
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Re: Turbo LS

Post by stefanst »

Purists will be very unhappy with you. A Chevy engine in a Ford? tsk tsk tsk.
Good luck with the build. LSes should be fairly easy from a sensor and coil standpoint.
How is that 1000hp goal going to be achieved?
- Classic tuning
- Stroke/bore
- Forced induction
- Nitrous
... ?
What features do you feel you'll need from an ECU and why?

Edit: Never mind. Found your intro in "Hello World"
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Why Ford/Chevy hybrid? When do you plan to fire it up? :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I know many consider LS motors to be good and sold, as well the fox body is consider rigid for low $. I think most people do this because they can. I also seem to recall there are conversion kits that you can pick up for reasonably low $ to drop an LS into a fox body.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
RichyBugs

Post by RichyBugs »

I do things because why not? Lol, nah the Chevy's make better turbo motors. If it was a road course car I would have found a Windsor for it. Yeah, I like the fact that this is all open source and throttle by gear etc xan be implemented. Looks like I'll need much more than the 64 pin connector lol, might have to do 121 just because of later addition things.
RichyBugs

Post by RichyBugs »

Alright guys, I'm getting ready to getthis show on the road, how easy or hard will it be to wire the entire deal together? Basically, injectors, plugs, iat, tps, and map. The basics to get it set, knock sensors will not be used. Just set afr and timing.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Yes, I would expect that you just set everything and it goes live!
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Would I be correct in understanding that your looking to first get an engine running on a test stand, then put it on a dyno and tune it, then perhaps do it again with a more expensive motor.

I see the absolute minimum signals like this
-- Injectors
-- Ignition
-- Crank / Cam signals
-- MAP or MAF for air flow
-- 12V battery and GND

Optional signals which you will likely be interested in
-- IAT
-- TPS
-- CLT

I agree that O2 is not desired. I have those 4X EGT's which I recall have some basic code behind them, but so far they have not been used, and to keep costs low they are not typically installed on the assembled Frankenso boards. You may have interest in the EGR's, such that you can look for exhaust temps as a method for detecting engine problems before melt down. However that can happen after it's running.
RichyBugs

Post by RichyBugs »

we will likely use 02 sensors on either bank, does the board support it? or does it just look at air and fuel to get proper afrs? if so we may just run the 02s into the cockpit for piece of mind. As for the engine, it will likely go straight into the car for testing, first a base tune then we will slowly crank up the power and rpms to see whether or not there is something being interpreted incorrectly.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Best heard from @, however..... My memory tells me that O2's can be displayed in TS, as well TS can use them for auto-tune. However short term and long term closed loop compensations are not currently implemented. I believe that closed loop is not hard, @ simply needs someone who wants it done and is capable of providing good feedback about what it's doing and if it's doing it correctly.

I recall that NO2 has some very basic software / basically not working, and WO2's are basically just an analog signal from an external O2 device, which is scaled into an O2 number in the rusEFI ECU. From there that number can be put in TS, or used by TS for auto-tuning. I recall we have had some good progress with a CJ125 board, so we almost have rusWO2. Either that or you can use one of many external WO2 devices to generate the analog signal.