Carb motor, going to non-distributor

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Whawhat

Carb motor, going to non-distributor

Post by Whawhat »

Hi

I have a 4 cylinder engine with weber 45 DCOE carbs. I'm looking to use this ecu to control my ignition sequence, as well the spark timing via MAP sensor. The engine is being mated to an Eaton M65 (45) with an electronic by-pass valve.

A TPS sensor will activate the bypass valve on or off and the MAP sensor will control the valve transition so not to create jerking

I'm looking to see can I use portions of the system, example, will not use the injector circuit. This will not cause an issue or burn out anything on the board.

Thanks
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Carb motor, going to non-distributor

Post by AndreyB »

rusEfi is very flexible, you just turn the things you do not use off and things work :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Whawhat

Post by Whawhat »

Thanks. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Whawhat

Post by Whawhat »

Privet

I'm at the stage of getting all my parts before I start fabricating my intake runners and such.
I read the soft u manual and hardware... Here are a few questions.

MAP sensor, I'm guessing your efi can handle digital or analog? i.e. Ford Map sensor based on frequency or GM sensor based on voltage. I need to source one out, your thoughts... I'm leaning toward GM
- Map sensor signal will be used to adjust the Eaton supercharger M65 (mercedes c230) electronic by-pass valve. i.e. at 12" Hg close valve 40%, at 7" Hg close valve 100%... Eaton M65 by-pass valve, 0 voltage normally open state. So when engine is starting supercharge is on by-pass.
- Map sensor will also adjust spark timing advance. i.e. at 5" Hg retard timing.

I have not purchase a TPS sensor... I figure if I'm leaning towards a GM map sensor, GM tps sensor? Mix and match? I haven't looked to see if Ford or GM is base on voltage or frequency. I don't know if one has an advantage over the other, freq vs voltage (for any and all sensors).
- I plan to use the TPS % to activate the by-pass valve. i.e. at >25% TPS turn on and allow MAP sensor to control the valve.

Where I'm fabricating the supercharger mount the position for the whole setup the distributor is in the way. Thus, my original post of going distributor-less.
I would need to control the firing order and plan to use coil over plug. See below additional info
- I plan on making a 58 ring which will require a crank sensor
- But would it be better with halls effect... I have little experience with crank sensors, but well versed in it's function and how to manipulate it from a OEM point of view.

Background:
I live in California, I have a smog exempt diesel Mercedes W201. Diesel engine overheated, tossed it, friend had a free M102 engine. I have 4 Kiehin flatslide CR dirtbike carbs laying around and machined intake flange, runners... then he gave me a supercharger, carbs won't work, purchased (2) weber dcoe 45. machined intake flange, runners, mounts so on. At the stage of purchasing all the ancillary parts before I weld everything together, need to mock up all parts and make sure if have everything covered... rusefi is now the glueware to make all these parts work.

Spasibo,
Whawhat !!!!!
*** my first lathe was a drill with another drill chuck at the other end, U-bolts and cinder block ***
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Please do not use Map sensor based on frequency - while we technically have this in the firmware you do not want to be the first one to use it in reality :)

I do not know why but crank trigger wheels with more teeth tend to be VR, while it's usually cam sensors with fewer number of teeth which are Hall.

Looks like you have some welding in front of you, but once you are done rusEfi would be there to control this.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Whawhat

Post by Whawhat »

Got it.
I'll go with the GM MAP sensor, voltage based.

Sounds like rusefi will work with VR or Halls, but I'll replicate what you usuly see. Crank with VR

Look forward to purchasing and fab work ahead of me.