1993 Ford Mustang 2.3L

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
roflcopter

1993 Ford Mustang 2.3L

Post by roflcopter »

The car we race is a hatchback 1993 Mustang, with the 2.3L I4 in it. For this year, it has all of the bells and whistles that Ford wishes they could forget they ever tried, including but not limited to an 8-plug distributorless ignition system to go along with a poor flowing and excessively spark plugged head, full batch fire injectors, and the EEC-IV to drive it all.

For the system I'm using, the initial setup will inlcude:

Camshaft Position sensor(using a hall-effect sensor from the junkyard/parts car and a homemade trigger wheel)
Throttle position sensor(to base fueling off of TPS and RPM)
Other various sensors for monitoring purposes(will not affect the ECU in any way)

The goal for the system will be to control fueling, turn it into a sequential firing setup, and allow for accurate tuning in an Alpha-N configuration. In the future, we will be ditching the 8-plug head and DIS, and go to a standard 4-plug head out of a Ranger that was originally set up with a distributor. We will hopefully have a system capable of controlling a COP ignition system by then as well.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: 1993 Ford Mustang 2.3L

Post by AndreyB »

Pictures or this is not real :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
roflcopter

Post by roflcopter »

There's a teaser ;)
roflcopter

Post by roflcopter »

Parts engines are always nice!
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Is this 8 cyl high impedance injectors? What RPM range are you looking for? I'm also assuming the typical sensors like coolant temperature sensor, pot for throttle position and pressure sensor for mass air flow.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
abecedarian

Post by abecedarian »

Same engine as in the Pinto from the early '70s, many Mustang II, 78(79?)+ Turbo Mustangs (including Cobra and SVO variants), Turbo Thunderbird and Cougar, XR4Ti, Sierra Cosworth (and RS variants) and has made more than 600 reliable HP.

Hardly a slug in a lightweight-ish chassis. SVO mustangs were quicker than 5.0, truth be told, but the US market liked displacement, so they were limited to around 195 HP. Turbos had so much promise that the 'Probe' was considered as a Mustang replacement because it could, when tuned, outperform the Mustang, but public backlash killed that and the MX6 around which it was based- FWD Mustang? Never.

I once owned a 79 turbo Mustang Cobra... it was a 1978 but the Internet tells me that didn't exist despite the DMV registration.
My neighbor had a Pinto that would pull a wheelie for 50+ feet down the street....

Don't under-rate this engine. ;)
You can lead the horticulture but you can't make them think.
roflcopter

Post by roflcopter »

kb1gtt wrote:Is this 8 cyl high impedance injectors? What RPM range are you looking for? I'm also assuming the typical sensors like coolant temperature sensor, pot for throttle position and pressure sensor for mass air flow.
This is the 4cyl engine, I believe they are high impedance injectors, and the RPM range that we are going to shoot for is redline around 6200-6500. The sensors I'm looking to use with the first iteration of the ECU is actually only throttle position and cam position. At a later date it will move to a speed-density arrangement that will use ECT, Baro, IAT, MAP, WBO2, TPS, and cam position.
abecedarian wrote:Same engine as in the Pinto from the early '70s, many Mustang II, 78(79?)+ Turbo Mustangs (including Cobra and SVO variants), Turbo Thunderbird and Cougar, XR4Ti, Sierra Cosworth (and RS variants) and has made more than 600 reliable HP.

Hardly a slug in a lightweight-ish chassis. SVO mustangs were quicker than 5.0, truth be told, but the US market liked displacement, so they were limited to around 195 HP. Turbos had so much promise that the 'Probe' was considered as a Mustang replacement because it could, when tuned, outperform the Mustang, but public backlash killed that and the MX6 around which it was based- FWD Mustang? Never.

I once owned a 79 turbo Mustang Cobra... it was a 1978 but the Internet tells me that didn't exist despite the DMV registration.
My neighbor had a Pinto that would pull a wheelie for 50+ feet down the street....

Don't under-rate this engine. ;)
We are well aware of the capabilities of the engine, I have a friend who is huge into Turbo Coupes. Our plan as of now does not include any plans for forced induction, but that would always change. I want to see what we can do with it N/A first, mostly for reliability and cost reasons in the LeMons series. The turbo motors have full-skirt forged pistons, forged rods, as well as a few other beefed up parts. I don't want to be in a hurry to source those and do rebuild. It would seem that the weak points of this engine are the heads that like to crack, the oil pump gears/dist gears(if you have them), and the piston skirts on the N/A motors.