a Subaru engine on the bench

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
davidbuzz

a Subaru engine on the bench

Post by davidbuzz »

I have a working Subaru Impresa, but I also have a bench-mounted Impresa engine, that I'd like to be able to "run up", for demo/s and students, etc. It has no wiring, no loom, no ECU, no gearbox, no flywheel, no starter, etc. I will be mounting a flywheel and starter, and looking for the cheapest, most minimal ECU I can get that will turn the engine over. Performance is not needed. Is this Rusefi?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: a Subaru engine on the bench

Post by AndreyB »

To be honest, the cheapest ECU would be a junk yard stock ECU - especially if you get it with 50% off on one of the major holiday sales.

but rusEfi would sure thing be much more fun and a chance to learn a lot about how engine is controlled :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
davidbuzz

Post by davidbuzz »

I looked at that initially, but given the lack of wiring loom, I was put off going "stock", particularly as subi factory ECU's are known for needing all sorts of "faked sensor inputs" before they will adequately turn-over an engine. ( and the inputs they need change with each new year/model,ecu, etc ) .
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

This case you have to go with rusEfi :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

What type of engine? I have a suby Impreza some where between 1997 and 2006. I wonder if we have similar setups. I don't trust the setup I have in mine, it's really hacked. I plan to replace it some day, but haven't changed it out yet. Perhaps we have common interests and a common platform.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
davidbuzz

Post by davidbuzz »

to kb1gt: I have a 2002 Subaru Impresa "RV" 4WD, so yes it sounds similar to yours. it has no turbo ( that's the WRX model) , and it's otherwise pretty naked at this point ( radiator and hoses are present but not connected ), etc.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I should know more about mine, but eh, almost done the garage, which will allow me to really tear into it.

Any chance they have the same crank/cam wheels?
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

All EJ engines have 2 type of crankshaft trigger- before 2000 year and later.
This is old type

And this is new type (after 2000)

Be noted that last pic correspond to modified engine (RPD?) so we should ignore all info except trigger.
"BTDC 5 rear" is BTDC 5 deg #1 and "BTDC 5 front" is BBDC 5 deg #1 .

More one pic:

Mark at bottom of sprocket is assembly mark and correspond to crankshaft 90 deg (all pistons at middle position).

For demo engine you don't need camshaft sensor.
But there we have also 2-3 types of triggers depending on engine type and year.
Skype- max.mad486
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I haven't cracked mine open yet, but that 2000+ wheel is what I expect on mine. I know the harness and ECU are 2002 or newer.

I don't think I follow the front rotor rear rotor think in the picture. I expect one sensor for crank, on the front of the engine. Are there two of these wheels in there? I'm thinking that they mean front two pistons, and rear two pistons. However calling them rotor's seems odd to me. Perhaps that's a Japanese translation issue. I really should know this Suby stuff better than I do. I simply bought someone else's project. So I'm a bit ignorant about the details of a suby engine. What I bought is really hacked and I don't want to blow the motor with the questionable electronics that is has in it now. I'd much prefer to replace the entire system and make sure it's electrically correct. I bought it mostly because it has good mechanical components.