Single Cyl snow blower Brigs and Scrap Iron

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Single Cyl snow blower Brigs and Scrap Iron

Post by kb1gtt »

I should add to the list my project, where I look to make my snow blower better. I got sick of tuning the carbs so I'm slowly working get better control and feed back. As time progresses, I plan to use this for an experimental platform. I have some crack pot ideas that will probably fail, but until I try them, I won't know for sure. So what better way to either show the world how it could be better, or fall fat on my face, other then dubbing with a small cheap engine. I have posted several details about my project here http://jaredharvey.com/Files/projects/Engine_control/snow_blower/snow_blower.htm Here are some high light pictures.

50 PSI capable fuel pump in a small keg

Mounting of the fuel injector

$1.5 Hall sensor pickup sensing the the flywheel
Last edited by kb1gtt on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: Single Cyl snow blower Brigs and Scrap Iron

Post by kb1gtt »

Seems I have a couple minutes, so I'll post more about my efforts with this small engine. There are many issues with getting a non-EFI engine working with EFI. Often they don't generate electrical power that's sufficient to run the fuel pump, they often don't have things like a Throttle Positioning Sensors (TPS), Intake Air Temperature (IAT),Liquid Coolant Temperature (LCT) sensor, crank angle sensor, ect. So part of this effort is to engineer options for such typical sensors. Getting the engine running is only one early phase.

So why convert a snow blower engine, after why not simply go to the store and buy a new one like most people do. Errr, or at least that's what I did. My goals are highly science based. I feel small engines can benefit greatly from new technology. Many folks may recall how back in the 80's and newer, you had to pump he gas to get the priming fuel into the engine, or you had to plug the thing in to keep it warm so it would start. However these days most of that's gone away, as we enjoy the benefits of multi-spark events during cold cranking, and precise fuel delivery preventing flooded conditions. As well the control over things like RPM and running rich vs lean have really changed how much fuel they consume for a given load. So simply getting these technologies on a small engine would be really hand, after all it might mean you can use the pull start again, instead of the electric start. So that's one goal.

Another goal is to play with Direct Injection (DI). There are now many options for high pressure gasoline pumps and high pressure injectors. Using DI can allow ultra-lean mode, as well it can inject more fuel allowing for more power out of a small motor. So wouldn't that be great to play with, more power and less fuel consumed. Just picture if these technologies make it to a large portion of these small engines. We could get a great many benefits, as these non-pollution controlled engines emit a some nasty stuff. So that's another goal.

Yet another one of my goals, remains a secret to most people. Shared only with a few people I trust and I'm not willing to talk about it openly. Basically I can't help but feel I've noticed a reasonably simple way to get fuel economies of hybrid cars, but with out the batteries. I've shared the idea with a couple reasonably smart people, and so far I haven't found any real issues. The key issues seem to revolve around the requirement of a complicated computer system, that requires a fair bit of effort to make a prototype system. Combined with a lack of funding / commercial interest. Larger OEM's aren't interested, as they have a cash cow and why risk it. Race persons also often don't or can't use it as regulatory bodies have become very picky about what's required. After that, there aren't very many large commercial options. So the DIY / hobby is the place such an idea might do something. Some day I'll put in some effort and try these experiments, but for now I'm looking to get a good solid platform I can work with. RusEFI seems likely to have the combination I'm looking for. The licencing doesn't lay claim to my experimental ideas, which is a freedom I require for this effort. As well he's well he's got a reasonably pleasant personality. Some day he may make the list of people I share my science project with, but for now, it's baby steps and the above motor is a critical component.

So any how, that's a bit more of a back ground about my efforts with that small engine.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
GerardoRobbins

Re: Single Cyl snow blower Brigs and Scrap Iron

Post by GerardoRobbins »

Thanks for the info about the snow blower. Mine sucked up with a newspaper. Still fixing about it.