Mazda Eunos NA model

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
ulster0

Mazda Eunos NA model

Post by ulster0 »

Hi all, have just introduced myself in the relevant section so thought I ought to introduce the car

It is a 1990 Mazda Eunos Roadster which I have recently turbocharged hence my reason for needing a stand alone ecu.

The car currently runs using a piggyback ecu and all the original sensors apart from an additional MAP sensor located in the piggyback ecu.

rusefi have available a Frankenstien board and connector that is plug and play for the NA Eunos/Miata/MX5.

The firmware is workable at the moment and I should be able to get an engine to run.

Some of my questions ( there will be lots more I am sure) ........

Currently using a AFM as fitted to the stock car, would like to remove this and run of MAP and IAT with VTPS.
Would need to discuss if firmware code can support this?

The car currently has a narrow band lambda sensor for the standard ecu when in closed loop.
Does the rusefi have any way of dealing with this or perhaps a wideband sensor to give closed loop control, or even just to use the gauge in Tuner Studio?
Its looking like I may be ordering up the parts soon, just waiting to finish the last couple of events this season!

Regards

Steve
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Mazda Eunos NA model

Post by AndreyB »

ulster0 wrote:rusefi have available a Frankenstien board and connector that is plug and play for the NA Eunos/Miata/MX5.
Frankenstien is an ugly little board board which gives one full adjustability in terms of wiring anything with a small mess of wires. Frankenso on the other hand while also has the "a mess of wires" mode, can be used in a nicer way by connecting the breakout section directly.[/quote]
ulster0 wrote: The firmware is workable at the moment and I should be able to get an engine to run.
A firmware is yet to be used by a person who is capable of tuning a car, I am in search of a person who would be able to move this from "the engine kind of runs" to "the engine is happy". Proper ignition timing, proper fuel map... It's just a question of knowing what the engine needs. I can translate this into code if needed but it should be pretty configurable as is.
ulster0 wrote:Currently using a AFM as fitted to the stock car, would like to remove this and run of MAP and IAT with VTPS.
Would need to discuss if firmware code can support this?
rusEfi can run the engine in a simple table-lookup mode by AFM/MAF or TPS (that would be Alpha-N), or with MAP (Speed Density) algorithm. On a bench. Needs to be proved by a happy engine :) There are options to adjust voltage and temperature corrections

ulster0 wrote: Does the rusefi have any way of dealing with this or perhaps a wideband sensor to give closed loop control, or even just to use the gauge in Tuner Studio?
Rigth now just wideband as a gauge (you can use narrow band as a very poor wideband gauge), closed-loop still TODO.

Hope all this would not scare you away :)

BTW I've created a wiki page to document Mazda installations since this is the most popular car between guys considering rusEfi at the moment - http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware:Mazda_PnP
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

What do you have for a connector? You likely have the connector used on Frankenso. Do you know the particular wiring schematic for you particular vehicle? If so we can verify the pin out is correct. If it's not, that's not a huge deal, as russian has noted, there is a re-wiring feature on that board. For example, we can add a PCB to it and make it work for a Honda vehicle.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
ulster0

Post by ulster0 »

Thanks for the replies.

Don't worry I m not put of, I understand this is prototype stuff and needs a lot of work.

I quite like the idea of experimenting with this as I have all the Winter season to do so, if it doesn't really work out I can just plug my existing piggy back ecu in again for next season!

I have checked the part number on my ECU PCB and it matches the number that the board and connecter you have developed plugs into. Hopefully this would mean that the initial connections may be simplified. If not as you have said I guess with some research we could alter the wiring layout to suit?
The ECU pin out diagram you have on the mazda wikipage for a 1990 American Miata ought to be much the same I suppose but I really ought to check this out, so need a pin out diagram for a Japanese spec Eunos.

If this initial hardware and firmware part can be made to work then I reckon using tuner studio it should be possible to get it to at least run.
As has been mentioned there are plenty of Mazda guys running tuner studio with another popular DIY type of ECU so large chunks of data may be able to be copied from some of the base maps they have available?

I have been under the impression that the NB model uses the ECU to control more engine functions such as alternator etc? Mine is an NA so no problem there hopefully, but I think one of the other persons trying this out has a NB (Sturovo perhaps?).

Do you think its worth me trying out the set up you currently have for the Mazda? It seems like its at a stage were I might be able to use it?
I am in UK so not sure how import duty applies, last time I have purchased some Mazda parts from the US I had to pay a handling fee ect to UK customs.

Regards

Steve.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

ulster0 wrote:so large chunks of data may be able to be copied from some of the base maps they have available?
you would probably need to transfer the data manually but that would definitely help as a base map
ulster0 wrote: Do you think its worth me trying out the set up you currently have for the Mazda? It seems like its at a stage were I might be able to use it?
I am in UK so not sure how import duty applies, last time I have purchased some Mazda parts from the US I had to pay a handling fee ect to UK customs.
I am sure it would run and I hope that you would have time & desire to make it run smooth, we will be around to help. If you decide to purchase anything just let me know what costs I should mention on the package if that would help with the import tax.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

If you put “Engineering Sample”, “Evaluation” or “Educational” and assigned value of $50-75, most countries will let it go through.

Also electronic components are exempt from duties in most countries, just have to know classification.
ulster0

Post by ulster0 »

Ok, just checked and it looks like my ecu pin out matches the protege one you have used for frankenso.
So it looks like were are ready to start connecting up some mx 5's !!
The only thing I have noticed whilst comparing and investigating ecu pin outs, is an anomaly for Californian cars?
It would appear that Californian cars do not have injectors paired together as European/Japan and US spec cars do?
According to my manual Californian cars have an output for each injector, are they sequential perhaps for the emisions controls they have?
It does not affect me or other UK mx5/Eunos owners considering this as a project but maybe of some interest to those in the US considering this.
I do not have any knowledge or experience of Californian auto legislation, perhaps someone can confirm this?

I note that you have a US Miata owner on here who is kindly performing some tests for you, is this hardware or software related and will it affect connectivity or operation if any of us wish to start tuning/experimenting with the set up?

Good to see more interest from the Mazdas on both sides of the Ocean.

Steve
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

California is the land of eco nazi, their emissions law is always in front of the federal US law and they still require specially improved vehicles. While the camshaft position sensor provides the information needed to run individual spark and injection, I guess it's cheaper to run two wires then four wires :)

I am hoping that @ would run a short hardware test on his daily driver to confirm the trigger decoder setup, that would give me some piece of mind regarding shipping boards over the ocean :)