[rusEfi] Miata NA 1990, 1.6L stock #21

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Re: Miata NA 1990, 1.6L stock #21

Post by tomiata »

I got the logic analyzer setup tonight and captured a couple of shots. Spark pulses look good from visual inspection. Injector pulses, not so good. Here are a couple of examples:
inj-miss-11-30-2.jpg
inj-miss-11-30-2.jpg (111.26 KiB) Viewed 19297 times
inj-miss-11-30-1.jpg
inj-miss-11-30-1.jpg (103.76 KiB) Viewed 19297 times
After I took the screen shots I tried saving the trace data and the software locked up losing the trace. I can post trace data if someone wants to try analyzing it.
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Post by stefanst »

On an unrelated note: I can't really properly read it off the screenshot, but your dwell seems fairly long to me. AFAIK dwell should not exceed 6ms. This is just judging from the looks of the graphics. Too much dwell will fry your coils.
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

My dwell setting is 5ms, constant value overall.
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Post by stefanst »

You're good then!
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

tomiata wrote:I got the logic analyzer setup tonight and captured a couple of shots. Spark pulses look good from visual inspection. Injector pulses, not so good.
Major improvement in the build from today!!! The #299 issue fuel miss looks fixed. No hesitations or misses that I can tell. Warn count is low and does not go up at all in my test tonight. Attached is the log, note the warn indications are only from initial start up.

Great work @russian!
Attachments
rus-12-1-16.msl.7z
(214.53 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

What happened to Vbat at 1787 I see it's at 12.6V for a while. Also I see other shorter term blips at 1700, 1536, 1487, etc. These are all right around 800RPM.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

kb1gtt wrote:What happened to Vbat at 1787 I see it's at 12.6V for a while. Also I see other shorter term blips at 1700, 1536, 1487, etc. These are all right around 800RPM.
I was trying to hit more of the fuel table cells for the test and put in 5th gear at about 10mph to get to high load at low rpm.
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

I drove a while today. And latest firmware is working really well.

Now I'm redoing my tune after calibrating IAT and CLT which were pretty far off. It was cool here today about 10 to 15C.
And I'm re-tuning with IAT fuel multiplier at 1.0 and adjusted AFR target table like this:
target-afr.jpg
target-afr.jpg (310.53 KiB) Viewed 19245 times
Any comments on the AFR target table?

Log attached from the last run while autotuning.
Attachments
rus-12-3-16.msl.7z
(234.31 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Post by stefanst »

That's really great to hear.
I do like the AFR table. Personally I would go higher in target AFRs in the cruise region and extend it to a little higher pressures (like 70 kpa) and up to 5000rpm.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Do you have a dashcam/go-pro/cell phone mount by any chance? I am thinking a scenic drive with logs overlapped. For some reason I think tunerstudio can overlap gauges above video?

By the way have you considered modifying your discovery & Frankenso board for the real time clock? The only benefit would be SD card logs with real timestamps.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

tomiata wrote:latest firmware is working really well.
PS: that's really nice to hear!
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

I posted a video awhile back with a split screen of a TS dashboard with gopro video. I don't have an easy way to make it with software I currently have, but I could do another one like that.

And yes, I have looked at adding the battery for the discovery rtc, just have not gotten around to it. I was not sure if the coin cell battery holder I have would have clearance in the case on the bottom of the board. Did you mount yours that way?
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

tomiata wrote:I posted a video awhile back with a split screen of a TS dashboard with gopro video.
Oh right, it was you!

Since the logs are much nicer in many regards now I was looking forward a fresh one :)

Yes, the coin battery holder is definitely pretty tight on the back but it works - I've bend the case a bit out to make sure. One day we will find a better location or a smaller footprint battery. Or actually you can mount it in the prototyping area under the LCD or with removing the LCD.

tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

I tried doing the Discovery mod to add the RTC battery backup. I did it on my spare board, and when desoldering R26 one of the pads lifted off the board with it. I think that broke the trace from R26/C28 to the stm32 input. I don't see connectivity from C28 to pin6 on stm32. Also, I tried setting the date with "set date 1480980553" (last night), and "get date" to read it. I don't see the time changing, only: Current RTC time in GMT is: 2000-00-00 00:00:00 Are those the correct commands?

Also, here is a log from driving tonight. It's running very well now, and I'm tweaking on the tune to deal with cold temperatures. I saw a couple of odd things though, a burst of 6025 errors, bad MAP value, 25 times in one sample. I don't remember seeing that error before. It only happened once and I didn't notice any thing odd at the time.

Also, when sitting at a traffic light, my idle goes down to about 800rpm after it's fully warmed up and vbatt dips down. Would that cause me problems? Does it look like a weak alternator?
Attachments
rus-12-6-16pm.msl.7z
(302.42 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Code: Select all

if (cisnan(mapKPa) || mapKPa < CONFIG(mapErrorDetectionTooLow) || mapKPa > CONFIG(mapErrorDetectionTooHigh)) {
		warning(CUSTOM_OBD_MAP_VALUE, "unexpected MAP value: %f", mapKPa);
		return 0;
	}
that's CUSTOM_OBD_MAP_VALUE = 6025 and looks like TooLow is 5 and TooHigh is 250 by default? The log only shows legit values between 17 and 100 kPa, I do not know if 17kPa is realistic in a Miata or too much vacuum to be real?

Picture of discovery board - did you add the 32KHz and caps?

stefanst
contributor
contributor

Post by stefanst »

17 kpa is realistic. No problem there. I don' recall ever seeing anything below 15kpa though, so 12 or so may be a good realistic low value.
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

> Picture of discovery board - did you add the 32KHz and caps?

oops, I didn't read all the recipe, back to the bench to try it.
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

I just drove the car on a trip, and to do an extended reliability test of rusefi I kept the car running continuously. Here is a log file of 8.5 hours of continuous operation. It worked flawlessly. I was running auto tune for the first hour, and I did some tweaking on Intake fuel multiplier as the outside temp dropped.

There are still noise problems to fix on my sensors, but I'm very pleased with how well rusefi working. Thanks for all the help in getting this going.
Attachments
rus-2016-12-09-long-trip.msl.7z
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 310 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

This is pretty epic! How long was this drive?

Glad it went smooth. Looking forward the video :)

puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

8 hours in just 3MB? is that a map-based setup? would be interesting to see how well it performs in the mountain terrain. what sort of trip was it?
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

russian wrote:This is pretty epic! How long was this drive?

That was 490 miles. The 3MB log file is compressed from about 24MB. Yes, MAP based. Mostly flat terrain from Dallas, TX to Mississippi on Interstate 20 with 70 to 75 MPH speed limits.
RustyGargoyle
contributor
contributor

Post by RustyGargoyle »

Any update on the post cranking lean condition?
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

RustyGargoyle wrote:Any update on the post cranking lean condition?
No update. It only happens when engine is very cold, and only for a few seconds.
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

tomiata wrote:
russian wrote:This is pretty epic! How long was this drive?

That was 490 miles. The 3MB log file is compressed from about 24MB. Yes, MAP based. Mostly flat terrain from Dallas, TX to Mississippi on Interstate 20 with 70 to 75 MPH speed limits.
Here is summary of the trip.
[video][/video]
Last edited by tomiata on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

Seems to be quite noisy inside, pretty loud engine - after such long trips under such condition I usually get a headache. What a nice OSD (or whatever you call it). Was this dashboard added to the footage later while editing, or you somehow recorded simultaneously with the road? videomixer?
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Nice video, very cool.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Just watched the video! Wow, it worked!

I have a feeling it's not the first time I am saying this, but maybe at least NOW it's time to implement something cool? Can we please declare December 9, 2016 the day rusEfi 1.0 was released?

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Wow this could be worthy of 1.0. Seems odd that it's coming of age on engine #21. I guess we should convince @tomiata to make it run on moonshine :D

Some day I'd like to get a run like that with one of those thermocouples measuring the injector driver temperature and another measuring the ambient temperature. I honestly thought it was going to need a heat sink. I was expecting the injectors to shut off when it hit the temperature limit. I wonder how far off my prediction is. Or perhaps that would still happen if the ambient were to get hotter.
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

puff wrote:Seems to be quite noisy inside, pretty loud engine - after such long trips under such condition I usually get a headache. What a nice OSD (or whatever you call it). Was this dashboard added to the footage later while editing, or you somehow recorded simultaneously with the road? videomixer?
Yes, it was noisy. I had ear plugs in most of the way. I made the gauge display in Tuner Studio using some bits from examples I found. And I had a laptop in the passenger seat so I could see the gauges. I did screen recordings of the gauges and overlayed that with footage from a gopro. I hope get built-in TS dash display going soon.
kb1gtt wrote: I guess we should convince @tomiata to make it run on moonshine :D
What? You mean E85?

I'll say again, congrats russian and kb1gtt and everyone else that contributed to make this project real. Congrats on making 1.0.
tomiata
contributor
contributor

Post by tomiata »

I made the return trip yesterday for another 500+ miles added.

I found one glitch at a fuel stop. I usually switch on and wait for the O2 sensor to warm up, but this time switched on and tried to start very quickly. It failed to start and I found that the board had lost the engine type setting. It might due to 12v supply going low when the board is installing initializing. (Edit to fix phone autocorrect typo)

I was able to reconfigure with Java console and get going again

Other than that, I drove 1000 miles successfully.
Last edited by tomiata on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.