1993 Holden Commodore VR Ute Australian

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Poseidon

1993 Holden Commodore VR Ute Australian

Post by Poseidon »

1993 Holden Commodore Ute VR

GM proprietary ALDL (OBD1.5) ECU to Frankenstein Conversion...... Let the adventure begin.....................................
Attachments
Holden Commodore VS Ute from behind with small rollbar
Holden Commodore VS Ute from behind with small rollbar
Holden_VS_Ute.v01.jpg (115.36 KiB) Viewed 19437 times
1994 Holden Commodore VR Ute with Bullbar
1994 Holden Commodore VR Ute with Bullbar
1994_Holden_Commodore_VR.jpg (16.27 KiB) Viewed 19437 times
Nothing is ever broken, it's just a mater of patience, resources and persistence to fix it!!! Oh yeah and knowing when it's worth it or not!!!
Poseidon

Re: 1993 Holden Commodore VR Ute Australian

Post by Poseidon »

Summary

G'Day to everyone!!!

My name is Jay. I have lived in Australia for 10 years as an American Expat. I rebuilt my first motor when I was 7. My dad gave me a Honda 250 three wheeler (back in the early '80s) and the manual and said "the tools are in the garage, put them back. If you have a question, read the book before you ask!!!". That was just over thirty years ago and I have learned all those lessons well. Reading tech manuals all my life is of more interest to me than most novels, (less a couple exceptions) and even while in the Marine Corps I found a way to get under the bonnet of every vehicle I drove.

I have worked on most everything from bikes to boats to semi-trucks. As a heavy diesel mechanic I was unfortunately injured on the job over two years ago. I went to school at Chemeketa Community College in Salem Oregon for Automotive Technology, ITT Tech in Portland Oregon, work at Qantas in Melbourne/Tullamarine and then went to formalise my knowledge/education at ACE (Automotive Centre of Excellence Kangan Batman Tafe) in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia. My last employer I worked on Volvo Semi Trucks. Most modern trucks have 16 sometimes more computers on board. I never really knew how the electronics on cars/engines really worked they just did. So I was always more interested in carby's. Well I dislike being ignorant so I ate up the information on how the electrical systems worked and communicated with each other of various slow and high speed bus systems and how the redundancy actually makes it operable even in a limp mode or how an engine may have crank and cam sensors and if only one is working the computer can still start and run it just takes longer if its the crack sensor because it has to travel further and bla bla bla..... I ate it up like a fat kid and a cup cake (no offence I'm not so small myself eh mate). Well my dad always said back in the 80's electronics where "Japanese magic" (no offence that was just American ignorance) and now I have freed myself from those shackles and found I understood the concepts but all the information I learned was proprietary and not easily implemented outside those "hollowed walls". Well my daughter has just turned 18 recently and I personally drive a diesel so apart from making a engine management system to monitor things not allot to do there; however we happened on a Holden Commodore VR Ute v6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VR) that needed heaps of love and affection. The engine is out and has been stripped to a short block and now comes in a brilliant two tone paint scheme of lavender and lavender undercoat/candy metallic purple, alternating components that is.

Well the fuel injection is why I'm here. pre-obd2 it's obd1.5 same obd2 plug but ALDL communication. So I've wanted to play with Arduino and may be going back to school for programming since my only education are cars and killing and I can't do either. This project is awesome. It is exactly what I have been looking for. I want to be able to map her car for economy, sports & track. I'd also like to make a digital dash display that I can cycle outputs and integrate reversing camera into the TFT screen. So since she will be driving back and forth to university next year I need to dig in deep and put my elbow grease to the grind stone; as it were so I can finish this car as she wants to go to the Deniliquin Ute muster next year http://www.deniutemuster.com.au/ with it as well (rotflmao yes she's a dike and I tease her about it all the time as I wouldn't have her any other way so please no one take offence) oh and integrate the front side and rear parking sensors into the TFT as well. Future mods may include a cruise control module that is powered by a forward radar to adjust speed to approaching cars and lane changing system as well. So I have a big job ahead and the engine is only just going back in weekend after next (mid September). I've found this great project and can't wait to be involved I'll be ordering my kit this week as I'm on Workers compensation not only am I limited to the physical aspects but monetary concerns are of an issue as well so I do what I can do when the drugs and pain aren't too much and something like this really helps keep my mind occupied,

This is a fairly hacked version of the wiki for the car and engine as well as my experience with the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link here in Australia. I thought this would answer most questions and I look forward to working with all you as I digest as much of the information on here that I can. I will include photo's is the forum allows of engine transmission and car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VR)
VR (1993–1995) Ute
Main article: Holden Commodore (VR)

The 1993 VR Commodore was a major facelift of the second generation Australian Ute architecture. Approximately 80 percent of car was new in comparison to the preceding models of this car. The L27 was the latest revision of the Buick 3.8-litre V6 engine was fitted to the VR Commodore, featuring rolling-element bearings in the valve rocker arms and increased compression ratios. These changes combined to deliver an increase in power to 130 kilowatts (170 hp) and further improvement in noise, vibration, and harshness levels. Wheels magazine awarded the VR Commodore Car of the Year in 1993.

L27 Naturally Aspirated

A 3800 Series I, L27 Naturally Aspirated engine installed transversely in a 1995 Buick Regal.
The 3,791 cc (3.8 L; 231.3 cu in) L27 produced 170 horsepower (130 kW) from 1992 onward, this engine was referred to as the Series I 3800, or 3800 TPI (Tuned Port Injection). The Australian L27 retained the LN3's one piece upper intake and lower plenum of previous years. Power was boosted to 130 kW (177 PS; 174 hp) in the revised VR Commodore in 1993. Bonus to Australian vehicles are emissions of this era where limited to the catalytic converter. There are no EGR valves actuators or sensors to worry about as well as testing is fairly lenient in comparison to places in the United States.

American Applications and Varients of the L27:

Buick LeSabre
Buick Park Avenue
1991 Buick Reatta
Buick Regal
1991-1993 Buick Riviera
1992-1995 Chevrolet Lumina APV
Holden Commodore (VNII, VP, VR)
Holden Caprice (VQ, VR)
Pontiac Bonneville
1992-1995 Pontiac Trans Sport
Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight
Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight
Oldsmobile Toronado
Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo
1992-1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette

Speaking in terms of communications with vehicles most have heard of OBD2 but in Australia this year was OBD1.5 which used the OBD2 plug but communicated via ALDL. Assembly Line Diagnostic Link or ALDL was a proprietary on-board diagnostics system developed by General Motors prior to the standardisation of OBD-2. For the assembly plant test system computer which was connected to this vehicle connector and known by the same name see the article IBM Series/1. It is a joke that Commodore is actually Common Dore (pronounced correctly in Australian as “comma door” so we say “common door”). Due to Bathurst http://www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/2013-v8-supercars-championship/supercheap-auto-bathurst-1000 there are two main rev head groups Holden (GM/Chevy) and Ford. Over half the population drives one or the other. So as techie rev heads do, ALDL has been hack/reverse engineered with pretty easy to understand and implemented hardware and some software.

This system was only vaguely standardised and suffered from the fact that specifications for the communications link varied from one model to the next. Due to great enthusiasm for the cars here in Australia schematics to port this are not hard to come by but the Frankenstein not only ports the works of the communication into something palatable but makes room for more open source software (and yeah its fully sick too mate, I can't wait).

I think I've covered all the questions and information you want to know for now. From this point on I'll be outlining and tracking important information in regards to my project. I'm probably a bit verbose yet again but I do wish to provide you with all the facts and I'm bloody excited. So is my daughter that we finally found what I wanted to do and she's going to have the coolest Commodore Ute out on the street. Bull bar Roll Bar Aerials Mud flaps lavender drive train and sick as Frankenstein ECU to drive the hell out of it. I look forward to the adventure with you all.
Nothing is ever broken, it's just a mater of patience, resources and persistence to fix it!!! Oh yeah and knowing when it's worth it or not!!!
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Project Car Body.....
Attachments
1993 Holden VR Ute Driver Side
1993 Holden VR Ute Driver Side
photo 3.v02.JPG (174.47 KiB) Viewed 19434 times
1993 Holden VR Ute Front
1993 Holden VR Ute Front
photo 4.v02.JPG (144.16 KiB) Viewed 19434 times
1993 Holden VR Ute Passenger Side
1993 Holden VR Ute Passenger Side
photo 5.v02.JPG (141.81 KiB) Viewed 19434 times
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Project Engine

L27 3800 Series 1 Holden/Buick Motor
Attachments
Borge Warner T5 5 speed Manual Gear box
Borge Warner T5 5 speed Manual Gear box
photo 2.v02.JPG (359.61 KiB) Viewed 19434 times
L27 3800 Series 1
L27 3800 Series 1
photo.v02.JPG (217.81 KiB) Viewed 19434 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Once you have some rusEfi hardware, first step would be spinning the engine with spark plugs removed and getting the cam/crank position sensors signal decoded.

Can you mount a starter & spin the engine while on this stand, if it's still on the stand? Can you take a picture/provide part numbers for crank and/or cam sensor on this engine?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

russian wrote: Can you mount a starter & spin the engine while on this stand, if it's still on the stand? Can you take a picture/provide part numbers for crank and/or cam sensor on this engine?
Valid Questions....
I will be installing it in the vehicle before I have the first drop of solder on the board unfortunately. However I have both a good used crank sensor as I replaced it due to difficulty if it goes bad. It sits just in that lavender ring that does not yet in this photo have the crank pulley on it. I'll get part number tomorrow. I'll also take photo's as it does both cam crank timing in one sensor I believe. It will make more sense when I photo it for you. That being said I actually haven't paid heaps of attention to the other sensors but will document them well over the next few days as I expect this will be the first of many conversions on this model in Australia to come.

Kind Regards
Jay
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Are we talking VR or hall?
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

kb1gtt wrote:Are we talking VR or hall?
I'm afraid I don't actually know.... Very good question. I'm going to get part numbers today but as of now I don't have them it's already installed and the old one is kinda painted over LOL.... I'll post pics and you'll probably beat me to it but need spec's for it anyway and though I have fairly good understanding of how it works in combination with the harmonic balancer I don't know which to call it...
Attachments
Crank Angle Sensor as viewed as if looking at front of engine...
Crank Angle Sensor as viewed as if looking at front of engine...
CASTopView.JPG (756.55 KiB) Viewed 19424 times
Crank Angle Sensor Side View "Note slot for both indicating metall disks to rotate through"
Crank Angle Sensor Side View "Note slot for both indicating metall disks to rotate through"
CASSideView.JPG (678.12 KiB) Viewed 19424 times
Crank Angle Sensor Plug Side
Crank Angle Sensor Plug Side
CAS4PinPlug.JPG (446.58 KiB) Viewed 19424 times
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Crank Angle Sensor Installed
Attachments
Crank Angle Sensor Installed from more of a top angle....
Crank Angle Sensor Installed from more of a top angle....
CASInstalled2.JPG (457.84 KiB) Viewed 19424 times
Side view on engine as it tucks in behind the plastic shroud....
Side view on engine as it tucks in behind the plastic shroud....
CASInstalled1.JPG (509.99 KiB) Viewed 19424 times
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Do you have a schematic for that sensor? Is that 2 sensors with 4 wires? That could be two VR's or 2 hall sensors. Do you know if 12V and GND go to this sensor?
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

kb1gtt wrote:Do you have a schematic for that sensor? Is that 2 sensors with 4 wires? That could be two VR's or 2 hall sensors. Do you know if 12V and GND go to this sensor?
Hey KD it just so happens here's one I prepared earlier...............................
Attachments
1993 VR Commodore Manual Transmission Wiring
1993 VR Commodore Manual Transmission Wiring
2009-11-02_022627_vrmanual.v01.jpg (298.66 KiB) Viewed 19342 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

GM v6 info from the more or less the same era: "The crankshaft position sensor is two hall effect sensors in one."

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/3.8L/ignition-module-and-crank-sensor-test-1
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

That's the sticky wicket!!!!

Looking at only the harmonic balancer, plug & dust cover to confirm. The rest of the engine would seem very very close to exactly the same which matches with my information regarding production for exactly the same models. The DFI module is exactly the same and has exactly the same problem as does the Holden.

Thanks for the help.....
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

So it sounds like it's hall. Can you power up the DFI with this sensor connected? Basically we'll need to find the 12V (or 5V), and we'll need to find GND. The other two will be a pulsed signal.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

kb1gtt wrote:Can you power up the DFI with this sensor connected? Basically we'll need to find the 12V (or 5V), and we'll need to find GND.
that wiring diagram above seems to have wire colors

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Testing..............................

The pictures are as engine and transmission sits currently, I can't power up anything until I have it back in the car as the wiring has been unshielded and dash + interior completely stripped. I've ordered the new Exedy clutch today and need to get the flywheel machined. I have been reading and will be making the patch loom as I have a source for loom and might have an old computer to pull the socket from so once it's finished I'll be able to run the stock wiring to the Frankenso "Flux Capacitor style" that will be featured in the centre console once the car passes road worth and registration. I still have sound deadening insulation to install in the interior as well. When I said project I meant it lol..... As soon as the car has the engine and drive train installed I'll be recovering and routing wiring for all the sensors, I hope during that point I'll be able to do any electrical testing that you need to query. So this is the first to add unless there are resistance,capacitance or inductance tests you'd like done on any of the sensors or if I can power up a known wire with 12 volts that is also available. I am also inserting part numbers and Manufacture of the after market equivalent sensors I have researched if this helps answer any questions you may have.
Attachments
VR Commodore Sensors
VR Commodore Sensors
VrCommodoreSensors_V01.v01.jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 19332 times
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Question........................

I know I come from diesel background but is it correct that three injectors are firing?
abecedarian

Post by abecedarian »

Yes- it's firing injectors in two batches of three injectors.
You can lead the horticulture but you can't make them think.
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Ordering Parts................

Can anyone please confirm that if I order the following parts I'll be able to have the Frankenso 0.1 Full Bundle and only need a couple capacitors, resistors, 5v pwr supply and vehicle interface plug.... Oh yeah solder and my solder iron I prepared earlier..... If so I can press go on this project :D wooooooooooooohoooooooo!!!!!!! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankenso DIY Parts Kit $59
20 X 4 LCD Screen $9
stm32f4discovery brain board $15
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

abecedarian wrote:Yes- it's firing injectors in two batches of three injectors.

Thanks Mate,

I was taken aback when I had seen this as diesel only injects the cylinder that is at TDC compression stroke with timing of course. Would this not be less efficent than injecting at the time of intake valve opening and then shut down when closed??? Hmmmm petrol engines just bloody silly things I do love my diesel so.....

Kind Regards M8.......
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

You would not need 5v power supply because the kit contains all the parts you need to make a power supply on the board.

You would need about a 100 resistors, something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/2300pcs-SMD-0805-0-10M-50value-Resistor-2-2pf-1uf-40value-Capacitor-Kit-Set-/110941312626 would cover 99.9% of your needs.

If you want to solder wires to the Frankenso you can use any connector. If you want to solder the 64 position connector you would need to add it into your cart.

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

russian wrote:You would not need 5v power supply because the kit contains all the parts you need to make a power supply on the board.

You would need about a 100 resistors, something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/2300pcs-SMD-0805-0-10M-50value-Resistor-2-2pf-1uf-40value-Capacitor-Kit-Set-/110941312626 would cover 99.9% of your needs.

If you want to solder wires to the Frankenso you can use any connector. If you want to solder the 64 position connector you would need to add it into your cart.
Cool So I'm right to order the list then? I'm just asking because shipping is as much as the order so I can only make the purchase once.....
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Poseidon wrote:Cool So I'm right to order the list then? I'm just asking because shipping is as much as the order so I can only make the purchase once.....
Trust me I hate the shipping fee same as you do :(
The list looks right - with Frankenso kit + discovery you should be all set. LCD and 64 pin connector both optional.

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Selling Locally.......

Once I have walked through the assembly process and have this car running I'd like to open a dialogue about becoming a distributor here in Australia because if I get the results I think and can see. This is going to be very big here!!!!!!!
Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

russian wrote: The list looks right - with Frankenso kit + discovery you should be all set. LCD and 64 pin connector both optional.

Thank you Mate I'm ordering now :D yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Sure. Technically this is all available online so technically you can start selling those without even letting me know and you would be 100% legit.

One step at a time though :)

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Not all items in your cart are currently shippable to your selected country. Enter your email address if you'd like to be notified when we are able to ship them to you.

:( :cry: :o :?
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Please try again now, I've pressed some buttons already.

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

I might get them shipped to my mum in Nevada and pretty sure she can get them shipped here for less than $90 :(
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

How did you get $90?

$62 is the "USPS medium box flat rate box international", I was planning to stop by a UPS stop once I have the actual box and see if that would go cheaper. I am not a professional shipper yet :(